BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-16-2013, 06:59 PM

Default Sling shot bows

Saw some videos on this. The person was shooting at fish. He had a spinning reel and line attached to the arrow. It seemed to work. I guess you could hunt rabbits and other small game. This would pack light and not make noise. Anyone had experience with this type of fishing/hunting?
Old 11-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

It's hard enough to hunt with a real bow
I highly doubt the "slingshot" bows are accurate enough for serious use
Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 PM

It may be the sort of thing like people who hunt deer with 22LR but I've seen video where guys are taking some pretty big hogs with this sling shot arrow thing.

Could be the next big thing in hunting.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
pretty big hogs with this sling shot arrow thing.
The OP spoke about "small game"
A big hog isn't nearly as hard to hit as a rabbit or squirrel

They are probably baiting and shooting from treestands at close range
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
The OP spoke about "small game"
A big hog isn't nearly as hard to hit as a rabbit or squirrel

They are probably baiting and shooting from treestands at close range
This thread is turning interesting. I remember when I was about 13 - 15 years old I could take grackles (sort of like a small crow), often with head shots, using my Wrist Rocket sling shot. Thanks to YouTube, I'm finding incredible accuracy feats (using marbles and bearings, not arrows). Imagine cutting a playing card from 130 feet or hitting a coke can from over 400 feet! How about hiting marbles or 5mm bearings from 30 feet or so. Lighting a match from over 25 feet. This is crazy good accuracy.

The "sling bow" people seem to be getting tight groups as well. Some even sport "red dot" sights and/or laser sights. Good greif!

I suppose, like anything, it requires some regular practice but apparently, a 45 pound draw "bow" can fit in your pocket. Interesting

Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I'm finding incredible accuracy feats
They don't show the thousands of misses

I once saw a guy on TV bounce an arrow off three sheets of plywood before it hit INSIDE a wedding ring, but that doesn't mean anyone who picked up his bow would ever come close to matching that performance.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
They don't show the thousands of misses
True, sort of. The guy I watched using 5mm bearings from 30 feet shot 6 times to get 2 direct hits. I extrapolate that had the target been a squirrel instead of a 5mm bearing there would have been no misses.

The guy that shot the coke can from 400 feet was funny -- he set up the can and the camera, hopped onto his golf cart and drove up range, took one shot, nailed the can and came back.

It's going to be a difficult comparison, for sure:
On the one hand, we're talking about taking small game or fish with A) a $10 or less gadget that can fit in a pocket vs. B) a $100 plus gadget that has to be carried.

Both gadgets are capable of taking game. Gadget A has a shorter range and is less forgiving with near misses but since it's easy to carry on every hike, you get more chances. Gadget B may be more productive on a given outing but it's not likely to go with you on a trip for firewood.

Closer to the OP . . . as mentioned, 40+ years ago I did in fact take birds (steel bearings for ammo) but haven't used arrows and haven't fished. Now I'm interested enough to explore the concept. If I get time today, I'm going to make a shooter and see how long it takes to get back on point. This may be fun.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:07 PM

I did a Google "sling shot bow and arrow" and thought this was interesting...

Found this picture of a shoulder aimed version... Basically a variation of a cross bow.. Looks like it uses full sized arrows...

I hope the picture link attaches... More info like this ???
Good luck..
===
.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7nCf6YxSn0cAmIBXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2 NjY3OQRfcgMyBGJjawM3Y2R2Zm5oOHV2aWN0JTI2YiUzRDQlMj ZkJTNEd243ZzR5aHBZRUpwanh3VXJmbDc5SzZreTVMNmNjeEpV RUlINlEtLSUyNnMlM0Q4MiUyNmklM0RRRklhci5xR3d2M3R3UV dCTGxWUQRjc3JjcHZpZAN4Y0JwWlVnZXVyQjJOLi44VWVfSm5S RkFybnhRaEZLTTZaOEFEdlYzBGZyA3lmcC10LTMyMi1zBGZyMg NzYS1ncARncHJpZANQSFh6X2R1MlFvaUxlTlk5Wk9pLlRBBG10 ZXN0aWQDUkFNUCUzRFJNUDAzJTI2U1dJTSUzRFNXSU1DMARuX3 JzbHQDMTAEbl9zdWdnAzEEb3JpZ2luA3NlYXJjaC55YWhvby5j b20EcG9zAzEEcHFzdHIDc2xpbmdzaG90IGJvdyBhbmQgYXJyBH Bxc3RybAMyMQRxc3RybAMyMwRxdWVyeQNzbGluZ3Nob3QgYm93 IGFuZCBhcnJvdwR0X3N0bXADMTM4NDk2NjcyMDY5MQR2dGVzdG lkA1NXSU1DMA--?p=slingshot+bow+and+arrow&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-322-s
Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 PM

I have shot arrows from my wrist-rocket since a child.

You can adapt MUCH thicker tubing and get some good velocity with arrows.

That tubing really makes 000 buck fly fast too.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
It's hard enough to hunt with a real bow
I highly doubt the "slingshot" bows are accurate enough for serious use
You doubt real BP rifles too.

I have slingshots with at least 40 lb draw at same pull length as my bows. They will shoot THROUGH a deer.

But then again I am a hunter, not a sniper.

P.S. what is a "real bow? " some cabled contraption with synthetic projectiles?

All game on this continent has been harvested with WOODEN arrows and bows. I hunt birds and squirrels with them, I do loose some arrows, concerning accuracy and them flying/moving. They work great on big game and fish too.

My slingshot is great with arrows to 30 yds. Try it before you knock it, pun intended : )

P.P.S. Feathers, not flectches

P.P.P.S. have you touched a deer? Still living and in the wild? Hunting will show you how, not sniping.

You will put a lot of woods time in.......before your first touch, Work on it!!!!

Let us know FEW-MANY years later.

Last edited by Mad_Professor; 12-01-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
You doubt real BP rifles too.

I have slingshots with at least 40 lb draw at same pull length as my bows. They will shoot THROUGH a deer.
Your first statement is totally false

The one second has nothing to do with what I said about accuracy
Old 12-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post

But then again I am a hunter, not a sniper. . . .

P.P.P.S. have you touched a deer? Still living and in the wild? Hunting will show you how, not sniping.
I'm so glad to see how you put that . . . I knew deer hunting was down the tubes when I saw a deer call designed to imitate the sound of a feeder spinning.

Read a story once about a guy who took out a buck with his knife. He had shot one, went to gut it. The deer jumped up while he was straddling it and the fight was on. The guy stabbed the deer to death, gutted it and began hauling it out. That's when he came across the one he had actually shot!

PS: my stalking is primarily a study in the various sounds deer make when they are laughing at me. I still have a long ways to go.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
Closer to the OP . . . as mentioned, 40+ years ago I did in fact take birds (steel bearings for ammo) but haven't used arrows and haven't fished. Now I'm interested enough to explore the concept. If I get time today, I'm going to make a shooter and see how long it takes to get back on point. This may be fun.
Finally pieced together an entry level shooter. Found a decent Y branch and used an elastic tourniquet (like medics use for starting IV's). The elastic is woefully weak but it is ok for my proof of concept.

I started hitting my target, 3" post @ 10 yards) after the 5th shot. I was using a stance that I saw on Youtube, different than what I used 40 years ago. I was using small stones for ammo (some of them could be seen curving in wild arcs).

I think, in a few hours practice I could become critter accurate so I'm going to take the next step to see if I can achieve what these experts are doing.

I wouldn't stake a $3,000 elk hunt on a shooter fired arrow but it will be lots of fun if I can dent the pest population with it.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Your first statement is totally false

The one second has nothing to do with what I said about accuracy

I bet I can hit your arse, at 30rds, every time with an WOODEN arrow launched by my slingshot.

Want to try me?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
Finally pieced together an entry level shooter. Found a decent Y branch and used an elastic tourniquet (like medics use for starting IV's). The elastic is woefully weak but it is ok for my proof of concept.

I started hitting my target, 3" post @ 10 yards) after the 5th shot. I was using a stance that I saw on Youtube, different than what I used 40 years ago. I was using small stones for ammo (some of them could be seen curving in wild arcs).

I think, in a few hours practice I could become critter accurate so I'm going to take the next step to see if I can achieve what these experts are doing.

I wouldn't stake a $3,000 elk hunt on a shooter fired arrow but it will be lots of fun if I can dent the pest population with it.
You can get quite good at 30 yrds.

If you bump up the rubber, 40 yrds might work too, : )

P.S. I shot100/arrows a day with bare fingers

P.P.S. My un lost shot arrows are worn on the sides, and most need re-feathaering

Last edited by Mad_Professor; 12-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.