BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Passed On

Default California dreaming

We are broke. Come to visit and spend lots of money.
If you can't come out here, just send money.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:56 AM

Default Re: California dreaming

come here, buy my house and enjoy! Bikini clad girls everywhere and sun all the time-just like in the movies! except for the mudslides, quakes, wildfires, smog, Santa Ana winds, crowds,traffic, high taxes, illegals,gang graffiti, etc....other than that, this place is great! :
Old 01-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Master Pontificator

Gregabob - don't forget the drought and how much topsoil is lost 'cause of the winds.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Passed On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvee
Gregabob - don't forget the drought and how much topsoil is lost 'cause of the winds.
We get lots of winds only because Mexico sucks !
Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Passed On

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregabob
come here, buy my house and enjoy! Bikini clad girls everywhere and sun all the time-just like in the movies! except for the mudslides, quakes, wildfires, smog, Santa Ana winds, crowds,traffic, high taxes, illegals,gang graffiti, etc....other than that, this place is great! :
The only thing that we may have that other states may not have is the "bikini clad girls." As for the topsoil erosion, I'm in about three feet of snow right now so the topsoil is safe for a few days.

Eat your hearts out ! ;D
Old 02-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Passed On

Smile

A year tomorrow since any posts in this topic, still have snow on the ground since storm three weeks ago. No top soil blowing around until the snow melts.
Snow removal equipment piles up snow at corners of intersections up to ten feet high. Makes for execellent visability of oncoming traffic when you are trying to cross or enter a street.

Last edited by Naughty_Pines; 02-15-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 PM

Default snow

I can relate to the snow. One of the benefits of living in a resort town is that they do get the snow off the roads pretty quickly. And Tahoe is 6250' elevation at lake level so not much atmosphere to protect the snow from the sun. The roads will be dry and there will be 4+ feet piled up along the streets. I have seen it over 10+ but this has been a lowsy snow year. All the businesses that cater to Skiiers are crying.

good luck with all your snow.

LoiDreams
Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

How about that snow? Suppose it's gone by now. Wish I had a little to run my feet through at the moment. Here on the plains we are HOT and DRY DRY DRY. Had record dry fall and winter so no subsoil moisture for crops but even at that, I'd rather dry out here than live in the land of fruits and nuts on the left coast.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Master Pontificator

The truth is many parts of California are beautiful, from the Delta, the Mountains and deserts, also worth noting for the record that the biggest industry in California is farming, and the state is one of the largest agricultural producers in the world.
The coastal cities are not different than any other large city in the U.S., and taxes are lower than most of the northeast.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 PM

The delta isn't too bad.... not a fan of most of the people who go by there though. Of course I am assuming you mean the delta over in Mountain House...

We've got beautiful desert, beautiful mountains, national forest.... there is a lot to like about California. There is almost much to NOT like unfortunately. I will skedaddle someday, but that is not a simple nor an overnight decision.