BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-14-2013, 07:46 AM

Default Craft Shows

Anyone else do any craft shows? I've been sewing my hiney off the past month or so getting ready for a couple shows here. What doesn't sell goes on Etsy so no loss. But it sure keeps me busy trying to get a big stock pile all at once instead of a little here and there. Creating throughout the year for Etsy is easier than craft shows that's for sure but the immediate money is better at shows.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

CLee
This past weekend we had an adoption day for our rescue group.
It was a community affair.

Flea market items but I ran acroos 2 young ladies that had combined their talents.
One did beautiful tee-shirts and the other made jewelery.
They worked from a garage togather.

And the window of oppurtunity is so narrow.
I understand the working yourself into the ground for this small window.

The young lady doing the beautiful Tee shirts,had set up a small website.
She said most of her business was coming by word of mouth.

I wish you all the luck in the world.
BTW--what is your product? Holidays are coming up.
Hang in there.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:31 AM

I make toddler dresses, cloth diapers, toddler back packs, "unpaper" towels (cloth towels), cloth covered portfolios, wallets, hand spun yarn, Christmas ornaments, decorations... I'm waiting til after the first show to start posting some of the Christmas items on my Etsy site. I may post a few before if I have time.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLee View Post
I make toddler dresses, cloth diapers, toddler back packs, "unpaper" towels (cloth towels), cloth covered portfolios, wallets, hand spun yarn, Christmas ornaments, decorations... I'm waiting til after the first show to start posting some of the Christmas items on my Etsy site. I may post a few before if I have time.
Besure to give us a web link ok--I have begun to hate leaving the house.

Sounds like some very neat items.
Moms are looking for more friendly things for babies--It should be a great success.
You may even have to hire help===jobs.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 AM

My sister & I are getting ready to do a show in 2 weeks. It's a Christmas Craft Show at a Courthouse in Evansville, IN. We did the show at the 4-H center near there but we didn't do well at all. For one thing we didn't have enough made. But we have been working the past few weeks and have quite a bit now.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 PM

Like my friend always says, you can't sell from an empty wagon.

I got a late start and have a lot of glazing and firing to do. Made a bunch of garlic pots, silver ware drainers and berrywashers. I would like to do a bisque firing tomorrow. Always so much other stuff to do.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:41 PM

DH and I have done craft shows in the past. A lot of lookie-loos but didn't sell too much. Perhaps the area. I had thought about selling my afghans on Ebay, when I checked what others were selling theirs for, I was very disappointed. Some of them you couldn't even buy the yarn for them. Went to craft fair this past summer nearby, even those ladies were selling their afghans super cheap! Again couldn't replace the yarn that was used to make them. What were they thinking?! Just cannot see selling something that costs $30 to $40 to make for $8 to $15. Doesn't make sense to me.
Okay, done ranting!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 PM

I run into this also but the people seem to sell for just enough to pay for materials. And then when I sell to make a little money and pay for my time, they think that I am overcharging. Something that takes me 30 minutes to make and a small amount for yarn, they sell for $2.50. Crazy.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:03 AM

Well first show down and a real disappointment. Didn't even make enough to pay for my table! Last year I did better there and had less product. sigh

Next show up on the 16th is at the fair grounds and is bigger so I'm really hoping to make up for it there. In the mean time I'm trying to get things up on my Etsy site. (www.JonesBranch.Etsy.com) It takes a long time to take photos, edit them, get the listings done, etc. I need to retake the photos of the toddler dresses I have on there already now that I have a mannequin to show them better.

And it's crunch time because my in-laws are leaving FL in their RV on the 13th headed up here for Thanksgiving. My husband says he doesn't expect them to get here until the 18-20th or so but I can see my MIL deciding she wants to be here to go to the craft show on the 16th. So I've got to have the house ready and get any work done like listing things on Etsy before then. Yes, I'm going into panic mode here!

I have other orders I have to get done as well and have to fit those in somehow and even after they get here have to find time in my studio to get some things done as well as bake and cook for Thanksgiving. So if I post and don'tmake any sense just forgive me, it's the insanity of in-laws visiting and sleep deprivation! LOL
Old 11-05-2013, 12:38 PM

CLee
Excellent site.

Now I need dog collars ad would be interested in doggie sweaters made of flannel.
Pups catch toenails in the knit ones.
Doxies are always cold.

Good luck with the out-laws arrival--know what you mean.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:29 PM

I've made simple ones for our doxies out of flannel and fleece lined with flannel that just fastened around the neck and then a piece that went around/under the belly. They have such barrel chests it's hard to fit them in "normal" dog sweaters. The only problem I found with the fleece coats was the dang static build up. Didn't seem to phase them when the shock hit but sure did sting the heck outta me! LOL
Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 PM

Well considering it was raining and foggy today I feel the show was pretty dang good! Did much better than the last show. Would have liked to do more, but I'll take every little bit I can get! Sounded like I might get some more sales through my Etsy site too.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:31 PM

I've done some with hand made bird houses, feeders, etc and did okay. lately been doing some selling Maple syrup. Around here they've been starting quarter auctions, where you add three items to the table, ( ex, 3 pts syrup) and people buy a paddle or two at the door for 5 bucks. the paddle lets them bid. Then your item comes up and you say its a quarter or 50 cent bid. everyone who wants to bid throws their quarters in the bucket, and you keep all the quarters bid on your item. so the more people there to bid quarters, the better you do, and if their paddle number is drawn they get the prize for a quarter. the last one I did had over 100 people, and made 25 bucks per pint, which is really good for me. usually sells for 10 bucks/pt. also sold a few to those that didnt win so was a good show. did well this year at the local farmers market too.

I've started sawing boards too and thinking of making Chest boxes out of different woods, other than cedar since we don't have cedar. Like Elm with Cherry trim, walnut, etc, wondering how those might sell.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:25 PM

Default Craft shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLee View Post
Anyone else do any craft shows? I've been sewing my hiney off the past month or so getting ready for a couple shows here. What doesn't sell goes on Etsy so no loss. But it sure keeps me busy trying to get a big stock pile all at once instead of a little here and there. Creating throughout the year for Etsy is easier than craft shows that's for sure but the immediate money is better at shows.
I do craft shows At least, I do a couple of local shows as well as sell at the local farmers market. I've sniffed around Etsy, but just can't seem to get in the swing of that.

You might find it helpful to browse the shows near you and avoid those that feature a lot of "flea market" "yard sale" type merchandise. People who shop those shows are looking for bargains, not the type of quality product you seem to make.

I too prefer to deal with a customer face to face. They can ask questions, for one thing, without having to wait for an e-mail. You get your money right away and they don't have to deal with shipping costs. Also, you don't have to warehouse Etsy merchandise hoping it will sell and missing the sales you could make in person.

Good luck with your business!