BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:13 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default any Newfoundlanders or Labradorians?

besides me LOL

dean
Old 01-24-2014, 12:27 AM

No but I stay a week in GooseBay in December and was properly screeched but I admit I quibbled.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
No but I stay a week in GooseBay in December and was properly screeched but I admit I quibbled.
you kissed the fish, shot the Screech and said the line? you're a Newfoundlander. come home anytime.

dean

by the way; "quibbled"?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Glad you are here. Tell us about your neck of the woods. I am always curious. How cold is it, what can you grow there?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post
you kissed the fish, shot the Screech and said the line? you're a Newfoundlander. come home anytime.

dean

by the way; "quibbled"?

When I went thru it, after the kiss, and I said the line,
if one stammered even in the tiniest saying the line , your "friends yelled " quibble- quibble- quibble" and you got a another shot. luckily I only quibble twice or they hand pity on me.

I was there twice as the US rep to negotiate the base cost sharing and then again when US furled the flag and departed. The first time it was to be a week trip but we got closed in due to weather and stayed 2 weeks.

It was amazing to have always plug your block heaters in and to have an extra long antenna with a flag on it on your car to be seen at intersections cause the snow plowed drifts are so high cars can't be seen otherwise..

Last edited by MissouriFree; 01-24-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom View Post
Glad you are here. Tell us about your neck of the woods. I am always curious. How cold is it, what can you grow there?
Right--Longshot is long time poster and we dont see enough of him.
His son Buckshot was just a tot when he first came on here,now he is almost eye to eye with his Dad. LOL
Old 01-26-2014, 02:43 PM

I have always wanted to go to Newfoundland to thank everyone there for how they stepped up to the plate during 911. They opened their homes to house and feed all those from the planes that were grounded at their airport. Feeding, providing clean clothes, laundry facilities, toiletries, computers and phones to contact loved ones. Whatever it took the Newfies did it.

I will never ever forget that. I am sure it started more than a few life long friendships.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:24 PM

Ozark Lady, i remember that day like it was this morning. i was the one to break the news to my office. i remember the shock, the realization, the anger. and i remember the call "planes are landing in Gander and St John's" most planes went to Gander and with limited hotel space there folks from communities miles around came in and said i have beds, i have a couch, i can take them where ever they need to go. In St John's, the capital, there was more hotel space but lots of folks came forward to open their homes. our boss came in and said we need people to process the passengers landing in St John's, every one volunteered, but we needed to keep our operations going. i worked at social services in income support at the time and was told to stay behind with a skeleton crew to keep our clients serviced, calm and informed i was the first point of contact for our office. several staff also tapped me for information on what to do if things get worst or if that kind of trouble came to us because they knew i was a Canadian Forces Reserve Officer and figured i had training in that, i told them what i knew and that was a lot less then now (LOL)

but to your other point, come on up, you will find a beautiful island a wild and hugh place called Labrador (our mainland portion of the province) and 500 thousand welcomes.

dean
Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
When I went thru it, after the kiss, and I said the line,
if one stammered even in the tiniest saying the line , your "friends yelled " quibble- quibble- quibble" and you got a another shot. luckily I only quibble twice or they hand pity on me.

I was there twice as the US rep to negotiate the base cost sharing and then again when US furled the flag and departed. The first time it was to be a week trip but we got closed in due to weather and stayed 2 weeks.

It was amazing to have always plug your block heaters in and to have an extra long antenna with a flag on it on your car to be seen at intersections cause the snow plowed drifts are so high cars can't be seen otherwise..
LOL that's the "Big Land" or Labrador. or as some call it "the land God gave to Cain" truely a wild treasure and so rich in resources both above and below ground it could be called a treasure trove seldom matched.

dean
Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 PM

just a glimpse of what we have here, and why we never want to leave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI_8pJYkChY

this is an original song by a local comedy troupe called Buddywashisname and the other fellers.

they say how do you tell the Newfoundlanders in Heaven? they're the only ones who want to go back to Newfoundland.

dean