BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Home Made Snow Shoes....

I shoveled my path out to the bird feeders today..... For the umpteenth time..... Just in time for it to start snowing late tonight and all through Friday forenoon they are saying...... (whimper)

Been daydreaming about some home made snow shoes... I'm thinking kind of a bear paw style.... Out of 3/4" marine plywood.... With an aluminum angle iron cleat/ice teeth.....

But what for a binding ??? Anyone got an old pair of cross country ski shoes in size 11W-12W..... And a set of bindings for same ???.... Maybe we could trade something for them.... I'd pay postage...

Anyone done this ?? How did it work out ?? Know any whee to get plans ?? Good ideas on how to do this ??

Thanks...
Old 02-20-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
I shoveled my path out to the bird feeders today..... For the umpteenth time..... Just in time for it to start snowing late tonight and all through Friday forenoon they are saying...... (whimper)

Been daydreaming about some home made snow shoes... I'm thinking kind of a bear paw style.... Out of 3/4" marine plywood.... With an aluminum angle iron cleat/ice teeth.....

But what for a binding ??? Anyone got an old pair of cross country ski shoes in size 11W-12W..... And a set of bindings for same ???.... Maybe we could trade something for them.... I'd pay postage...

Anyone done this ?? How did it work out ?? Know any whee to get plans ?? Good ideas on how to do this ??

Thanks...
Traditional Bear Paw style are the hardest to use as they are wide and hard to walk on because of your stance.
They also don't support as well.

Snowshoes work by distributing your weight over a large area to keep you from sinking into the snow, and for ease of walking, the more narrow the better. The Voyager style with a tail works the best in all conditions, especially if you are carrying a pack or pulling a sled.

The tail on snowshoes helps them to track and run straight. All the bear paws I had were pretty round and twisted on my feet when walking.

You don't want the surface to be solid on a snowshoe, thus the webbing so the snow can fall through so you aren't carrying the weight of the snow on the top of the shoe.

You want them to be as light as possible because they will tire you out quickly if too heavy.
Having the nose or front of the snowshoe tipped up will also help prevent them from digging in while you walk and come up over the top of soft snow.

Make sure there is support around where your foot will be on the shoe. The webbing will get wet and stretch if it isn't really cold out and can let you sag so good support under the foot is necessary. Don't make it solid however as you will get a pad of ice there if the snow can't fall through.

For a down and dirty pair of snowshoes, you can just use a rim of wood, some spreaders, and lace paracord to make the web.
Paracord isn't the best material as it gets wet and stretches, but it works in a pinch.

The cleats are a good idea especially if you are on packed snow, but don't make them too long because they will hurt your feet on ice or hardpack.

You have a good project there, great time to learn and have fun with it