BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 03-25-2014, 02:14 PM

Default old prepper gas

So I have some old gas from when I started prepping around 2010.. dont want to use it in my tractor or generator any ideas how to dispose of it in a useful manner.. would it be ok in a generator.., disposal quandary??
Old 03-25-2014, 06:34 PM

I would NOT use it in any kind of small engine (like a generator). That's just asking for a carburator rebuild. If I were going to use it in anything, it would be in a regularly driven automobile that already has over half a tank of fresh gas in it. I keep my generator filled with gas year round. Once a year, I empty the old gas, put in fresh gas with preservative, and use the old gas in my vehicle.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Several summers ago.... I ended up with 7-8 old gas cans and 5-6 old outboard motor remote fuel cans.... There was gas in all of them....

Of course the outboard cans had oil mixed in them.... That turned out to be a good thing... I put all the gas together in a couple of the better containers, filtering it through several layers of old T shirt.... I let it sit a week or so... No problem as I figured it was likely old to begin with... Then I siphoned it off into clean 1 gallon plastic milk bottles..... I let it sit there at least a couple days... The little oil there was in the gas made it easy to see if there was any water settled into the bottom of the bottle...

Short answer.... I kept siphoning it off into small batches and set aside any sediment being water or solids.... Out of a little over 10 gallons of fuel, I only had about 2 quarts of left over that I used to burn a brush pile with...

I used this gas in my old pickup, old mower, gas powered welder and other small engines WITH filters on board or installed... It was all blended out about 20 to 1..... This took some time to go through the whole process, but that I had...

I was even able to sell all but a couple of the containers in the worst shape....

Saved some $.... I was happy with that....

Good luck
Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 PM

I put a car in storage for three years that I was overseas. It had a full tank and I did put stabilizer in it before I left. When I returned I siphoned it out and burned it in my riding lawn mower and had no problem. If worried burn it in the mower half good half bad. Try it and see how it runs. If it runs bad drain it out. One time is not going to ruin a carb on a lawnmower as long as their is no sediment in it. Sediment will clog jets. What really hurts carburetors is leaving gas in it for long period of times.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:45 PM

I'd filter it and mix in some Sea Foam, then use it in a mower or generator
Old 03-27-2014, 08:29 PM

thanks all.,.