BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-28-2014, 02:39 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
22LR pistol vs 20 ga shotgun: pistol won.
That was a couple of young punk KIDS who weren't expecting armed resistance.
Otherwise the 22 would have never "won"

I'd just say he was lucky they ran instead of trying to fight or he'd be dead
http://www.wspa.com/story/24814487/c...asion-reviewed

Only two of these four went into the house
The one on the left was killed:

Old 02-28-2014, 03:10 PM

It seems most home invaders are not experienced or trained killers and more often than not have very little actual firearms training/experience, so this home owner's experience is probably pretty typical, based on the news story accounts I've read. Here are a small sampling of the many similar incidents out there, and each story sounds so improbable until you realize that the common thread is that the intruder was fundamentally incompetent at their job:

14-year-old Phoenix boy shoots, nearly kills armed intruder
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...der/55782484/1

Oklahoma Girl Shoots Home Intruder: 12-Year-Old Uses Family's Gun To Protect Self, Home
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1992381.html

NY boy, 10, grabs home intruder's gun, shoots wall
http://news.yahoo.com/ny-boy-10-grab...232507962.html

Woman shoots, cuffs armed intruder
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-shot/1938719/

If the intruder WERE experience or trained, then yes, the chances of the homeowner succeeding with a small caliber pistol drop dramatically.

My earlier point was that a handgun (of any caliber - this is not a case for a 22 over another larger caliber) can be picked up or pulled from a holster much more discretely than a rifle or shotgun and can be pointed or aimed much more quickly and discretely, especially inside close quarters where there is often clutter or walls, making it easier to get a shot off before the incompetent intruder even notices what is happening or has time to react.

If you have a handgun in your waistband, dropping your wallet while handing it over to the intruder....or tossing it near them.... may distract them enough to give you time to draw. If reaching for or holding a long gun, they can't help but see it and deal with you accordingly.

I think the case for using a 22 over a larger caliber is mainly that if the shooter is too intimidated by a larger caliber to use it effectively, then a 22 is a lot better than nothing. I know if I were an intruder I sure wouldn't want to be shot no matter what the caliber.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I think the case for using a 22 over a larger caliber is mainly that if the shooter is too intimidated by a larger caliber to use it effectively, then a 22 is a lot better than nothing.
If they can't shoot at least a 38 Spcl, they probably shouldn't be carrying at all, unless they have a physical handicap that prevents the larger gun.

Practice will overcome any "intimidation"
Old 03-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Hi, folks. I'm new here. I saw this thread asking about the SR22 and thought to comment since I actually own one and have shot it quite a bit.

I like this little pistol. It feels good in my hand. It has good hi-vis three-dot sights that are easily adjustable. Operating the safety is also easy without having to reposition your grip. It disassembles easily for cleaning and/or inspection. The barrel is removable, and a threaded barrel is available should you require one. The pistol rides easily in the FOBUS SR22 paddle holster I bought for it. I do carry it often when I'm outside around the place along with an extra mag for varmints and such, or if I just want to plink a bit. The accuracy of the SR22 is quite acceptable, but it is no target pistol. It does shot better than I thought it would have. I would hunt with it, but my Buckmark would be a better choice.

I don't like the fact that it is designed with a magazine disconnect. I also am less than excited about the incorporation of a lot of plastic in the frame, but, I guess Ruger tested a lot on the durability of this material and I have no reason to think it won't last a long time.

I would prefer the safety would have operated in the same direction as does the 1911, pressing down is 'off', up 'on'. I own 1911s, so the muscle memory is already established. You must push the Ruger safety 'up' to fire, but its not a big issue, really.

I think the SR22 is overpriced, but, hey... what isn't these days? So.. there you go. Hope the info helped a bit.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
That was a couple of young punk KIDS who weren't expecting armed resistance.
Otherwise the 22 would have never "won"

I'd just say he was lucky they ran instead of trying to fight or he'd be dead
http://www.wspa.com/story/24814487/c...asion-reviewed

Only two of these four went into the house
The one on the left was killed:

Quote:
A prosecutor is reviewing whether the stand your ground doctrine applies in the case of an Onslow County man who shot and killed an intruder last weekend.Authorities say 21-year-old Michael Holliday of Hubert was shot when he and another man broke into a home in the community, southeast of Jacksonville, on Sunday night while brandishing a 20-gauge shotgun.

Authorities say the two had demanded money and drugs when homeowner John P. Moore shot Holliday with a .22 caliber pistol. Holliday died at the Naval Hospital at Camp Lejeune.
This baffles me even more. The prosecutor is trying to decide whether to prosecute the guy who shot two guys who broke into his house and demanded drugs and money? Are you kidding me here? They pulled an armed robbery INSIDE the house, got shot and the guy in the house is in trouble? That prosecutor needs to be replaced for even THINKING about this. They had a shotgun, he had a pistol and the prosecutor is looking at the REAL victim?

I just don't see how this is even possible.This guy should get a "good citizenship medal" for saving the tax payers money incarcerating that punk for the rest of his life. The guy saved taxpayer money by completing what can only be described as PEST CONTROL and he is the one who should be rewarded, not prosecuted.
YMMV
//BT//
Old 03-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icu4dzs View Post
This baffles me even more. The prosecutor is trying to decide whether to prosecute the guy who shot two guys who broke into his house and demanded drugs and money? Are you kidding me here? They pulled an armed robbery INSIDE the house, got shot and the guy in the house is in trouble? That prosecutor needs to be replaced for even THINKING about this. They had a shotgun, he had a pistol and the prosecutor is looking at the REAL victim?

I just don't see how this is even possible.This guy should get a "good citizenship medal" for saving the tax payers money incarcerating that punk for the rest of his life. The guy saved taxpayer money by completing what can only be described as PEST CONTROL and he is the one who should be rewarded, not prosecuted.
YMMV
I haven't heard any more about the story, but those are the reporter's words.

There is no "stand your ground" law in NC, as such, so I'm not sure about his credibility

There is just that ability to use deadly force when you are in fear for your life, or of severe bodily injury.

It doesn't matter where you are, although if you ARE at home, you CAN shoot to stop them from gaining entry, even if that means shooting through the door

Anytime an incident such as this occurs, they "review" the evidence.
It doesn't mean they intend to press charges

They could also be referring to drug charges rather than in relation to the shooting itself
Old 03-28-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Hi, folks. I'm new here. I saw this thread asking about the SR22 and thought to comment since I actually own one and have shot it quite a bit.

I like this little pistol. It feels good in my hand. It has good hi-vis three-dot sights that are easily adjustable. Operating the safety is also easy without having to reposition your grip. It disassembles easily for cleaning and/or inspection. The barrel is removable, and a threaded barrel is available should you require one. The pistol rides easily in the FOBUS SR22 paddle holster I bought for it. I do carry it often when I'm outside around the place along with an extra mag for varmints and such, or if I just want to plink a bit. The accuracy of the SR22 is quite acceptable, but it is no target pistol. It does shot better than I thought it would have. I would hunt with it, but my Buckmark would be a better choice.

I don't like the fact that it is designed with a magazine disconnect. I also am less than excited about the incorporation of a lot of plastic in the frame, but, I guess Ruger tested a lot on the durability of this material and I have no reason to think it won't last a long time.

I would prefer the safety would have operated in the same direction as does the 1911, pressing down is 'off', up 'on'. I own 1911s, so the muscle memory is already established. You must push the Ruger safety 'up' to fire, but its not a big issue, really.

I think the SR22 is overpriced, but, hey... what isn't these days? So.. there you go. Hope the info helped a bit.
Thanks for your review of the SR22. It caught my eye at the gun shop when it was on sale this past week. This for me is totally a want vs. a need, but fun to dream right?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
There is just that ability to use deadly force when you are in fear for your life, or of severe bodily injury.
Two guys breaking in with a shotgun at least gives one the impression that when they demanded money and drugs, they probably weren't there to buy him lunch.

Quote:
They could also be referring to drug charges rather than in relation to the shooting itself
I guess there would be some concern with that issue if they knew this guy had "drugs" in the house...never thought of it that way. Either way, I guess I would still be on the side of the "shooter" in this one...for now.
//BT//
Old 04-24-2014, 11:29 PM

I have a Ruger SR22 and a couple of Ruger 1022's, here is a interesting comparison with the same ammo thru both firearms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVY4gT5P20