BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Best Days to Shop...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/doing-...100005619.html
===
This is a good refresher on some common sense info... I do most of my grocery shopping on Mondays... Senior discount day... Tuesday and Wednesday are senior day at the two thrift stores in town... I normally don't make 3 deliberate trips, but make sure my errand list coordinates with the discount day at the places I need to go...

Hope this is a little useful for someone to organize there needs...

Good luck
Old 05-24-2014, 03:00 PM

Interesting topic.

I am living the "fixed income" life but don't qualify for a senior discount. Our budget is very tight and my wife does an excellent job of stretching our grocery dollars.

We usually do our grocery shopping every other Wednesday. As the article says that is the day most of the new sale circulars come out. My wife will break our shopping list down to buy what we need at the best price from the 3 food stores.

Also being we both hate any type of crowds, Wednesday seems to be much better in that respect than later in the week. I think the only thing wrong with the Wednesday shopping is that Wednesdays are the days in the month that SS payments are deposited so those who live check to check will be out in force on Wednesdays.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:51 PM

I got tired of the crunch on SS check day,so I go the day after check day.
Not all of the time of course.

And Wednesday is discount day here.
And btw----I have no false pride in asking for my senior discount.:
Old 05-24-2014, 04:06 PM

Senior bus goes out of town on Thursdays. So no choice, but I guess Vernal ad start on Wed and If limit amount nothing left.

Store here in town is senior day on Wed, I buy the gallon milk each week. If kids take me to big city they usually go on Friday. Son's day off work.

Thrift store has sales but for all and last a week I think. The thrift shop I like.

Some times I get the Vernal ads. No Walmart ad but the other two store there. At least where we go. I buy my prescriptions here and was paying full price till this year.

When kids take me to city to Sam's I stock Kleenex and TP. Sam's seem to be only one with bread flour. I buy in 25# bags. I need to go back to baking more. We like that and son said he misses the cinnamon rolls. He likes the banana cookies I bake..

With not driving I have no choices, so try to do the best I can that way. I buy pretty basic stuff.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Senior bus goes out of town on Thursdays. So no choice, but I guess Vernal ad start on Wed and If limit amount nothing left.

Store here in town is senior day on Wed, I buy the gallon milk each week. If kids take me to big city they usually go on Friday. Son's day off work.

Thrift store has sales but for all and last a week I think. The thrift shop I like.

Some times I get the Vernal ads. No Walmart ad but the other two store there. At least where we go. I buy my prescriptions here and was paying full price till this year.

When kids take me to city to Sam's I stock Kleenex and TP. Sam's seem to be only one with bread flour. I buy in 25# bags. I need to go back to baking more. We like that and son said he misses the cinnamon rolls. He likes the banana cookies I bake..

With not driving I have no choices, so try to do the best I can that way. I buy pretty basic stuff.
You do good lady----I'd choke if I couldnt drive--hate riding with others driving---but like you say you have to do what you do to get by.:
Old 05-24-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
Interesting topic.

I am living the "fixed income" life but don't qualify for a senior discount. Our budget is very tight and my wife does an excellent job of stretching our grocery dollars.

We usually do our grocery shopping every other Wednesday. As the article says that is the day most of the new sale circulars come out. My wife will break our shopping list down to buy what we need at the best price from the 3 food stores.

Also being we both hate any type of crowds, Wednesday seems to be much better in that respect than later in the week. I think the only thing wrong with the Wednesday shopping is that Wednesdays are the days in the month that SS payments are deposited so those who live check to check will be out in force on Wednesdays.
Thank God for a mate that can make it go further huh?
Old 05-25-2014, 03:37 PM

I do know some times the bus goes to the bank before we go to Vernal. That is Thursdays so could be they had gotten check in. Some live from check to check I know. But you need to have money to shop.

I still have enough back up at bank I do not have to worry if check is in. As I write checks I only draw out enough to shop for food and pay gas and water here and few things. That should be limit I spend. Checks are for things that have to be paid. No debts.

I like to have some extra money with me in case I find a sale. I learned to take money with me in case the bus would stop for shopping on a picnic day. No picnic days last year. Only one driver. Now have two again. June calendar is not out.

And I know restaurants charge more on weekends it seems.