BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default PAIN!!!

I am having a flare up, and it hurts.
Knee has little cartilage, and what little I have is damaged. I have small amounts of arthritis and bursitis.
Right now I am flat on my back with it elevated and iced.

Is there a concoction that I can make to help relieve the pain / heal the boo boo??
Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I am having a flare up, and it hurts.
Knee has little cartilage, and what little I have is damaged. I have small amounts of arthritis and bursitis.
Right now I am flat on my back with it elevated and iced.

Is there a concoction that I can make to help relieve the pain / heal the boo boo??
frozen water mixed with either bourbon, rum or vodka -
Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseToo View Post
frozen water mixed with either bourbon, rum or vodka -
For once I agree whole heartedly with Moose.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 AM

I don't drink anymore.......I was thinking more of a 'topical'
Old 04-19-2012, 12:37 PM

I have tried black nettle tea to help w/ my aches after reading about it. I really can't say if it helped directly but it seemed to... maybe just from slowing down and relaxing long enough to drink it.

Try this website - it has information on MANY herbal & natural remedies & many of those are of plants that you can raise yourself for future use. (I visit the local co-op / health food store for immediate needs.) http://www.earthclinic.com/

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM

Spruce essential oil. It kills pain instantly. I use the Young Living, but other brands are cheaper.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

And tape a magnet to the thing to take down the swelling. If you have a pad use the N end, but if you don't have a pad then just tape a magnet to it. Get one out of an old speaker or something. Leave it on 6hrs, take it off, put it on, etc. The swelling will be gone in less than a day.

If you constantly have pain in the joint, then look into getting a bionic band to help alleviate it. It won't repair the joint, but they do help pain a lot.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM

Don't know any herbal but wife did have rooster comb injections before she had her knees replaced. Her knees were way past the norm for the shots but she needed to get through nursing school before replacement. She had zero cartridge in her knees
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM

An anti-inflammatory tea might help - like ginger tea. And try adding some tumeric into your diet on a regular basis. Maybe on devilled eggs?

And it really wouldn't hurt to take an aspirin or advil either, if you no longer indulge in spirits.

Some sort of brace for the knee - when you're up working, on your feet a good bit - too. Even try wrapping it with an elastic bandage. Ice might also be good; 15 mins on; 15 mins off.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM

cinok - "She had zero cartridge in her knees"

And she's on flight status? Wow. That's one tough girl you're married to!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble View Post
cinok - "She had zero cartridge in her knees"

And she's on flight status? Wow. That's one tough girl you're married to!
Both her knees have been totally replaced with titinuam replacements they work really well. Her only limit is on a full squat
Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I don't drink anymore..
But do you drink any less?

I know it's not herbal, but I've had really good luck with DMSO for inflammation, arthritis and such. Recently been using it for poison ivy relief with outstanding results. Pretty interesting stuff. Do your own homework and proceed accordingly. I'm not recommending, just telling what works for me.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapgame View Post
But do you drink any less?

I know it's not herbal, but I've had really good luck with DMSO for inflammation, arthritis and such. Recently been using it for poison ivy relief with outstanding results. Pretty interesting stuff. Do your own homework and proceed accordingly. I'm not recommending, just telling what works for me.
The roll on works best for this because it stays were you put it and is so easy to use. Unfortunately, a lot of people get peeling skin from too much DMSO. But it does take down swelling within a very short period of time.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post
The roll on works best for this because it stays were you put it and is so easy to use. Unfortunately, a lot of people get peeling skin from too much DMSO. But it does take down swelling within a very short period of time.
What is DMSO, and I have a HUGE beautiful Comfrey plant.
How do I use it?

BTW, it is MUCH better.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 AM

You get DMSO at the Tractor Supply Store in the horse section. I would like to hear folks' experience using it. It is news to me. I guess if it grew on a tree....

In a pinch you can use leaves as a poultice, but the root is mainly used. It is best to dig it in the fall, at the full moon. It is a blackish root, and thick as a carrot. Chop it or grate it and cover it with cheap vodka in a jar with a tight lid. . Let it set for several weeks, shake every day. It turns into a dark brown, mucilageous tincture. I doubt anyone will be tempted to get drunk on the stuff, it tastes pretty bad.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 AM
Master Pontificator

Not a cure but a tablespoon of plain gelatin in a glass full of liquid 2 or 3 times a day can reduce the flare ups caused by overuse.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Turmeric for Pain also about DMSO

Hi I'm gearing up to switch from celebrex to turmeric if I get all my docs OK--cuz I need to be sure it won't mess w/ anything that is wrong with me or the meds.

DMSO-- I do think will work--however its gonna give you some terrific bad breath--garlic smell

Turmeric I have been reading about online-- you take 4 00 size gelatin caps filled with turmeric 2x a day according to a bone surgeon who had a hip replacement patient that used it. He said although his hips were bone on bone he had zero pain and recovered from his surgery phenomenally fast--he was using it for pain--but had the surgery just to get better range of motion from his hips.

Surgeon said it was the only time he has replaced hips that the person was not in pain.

Anyhow there are other articles I read--I have gutt issues and it says it also helps that--which NO Nsaid is good for your gutt.

So anyhow I bought 00 gelatin caps on Amazon.com and an 'm cap em' gadget it is used to fill a dozen to 50 gelcaps at one time --much easier than doing one at a time. You can fill a months supply in just a few minutes with that.

hope this helps--

I cannot give personal testimony yet--as I need to talk to my gastro beore I try this.

Mary
Old 04-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Master Pontificator

Default about comfrey

You need to be careful about comfrey-- its not a great idea to use it if you have a chronic issue as it can be a carinogen.

I am not sure which one it is--but there is a cultivar that is less dangerous.

Also--- just to be cautious do not use the 'first cuttings' in spring compost those or make comfrey tea for a fertilizer.

Use later cuttings to have less of the more dangerous chemicals.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 PM
Master Pontificator

While not certain if this has been tried, I'd recommend 2 TBS Apple-cider Vinegar (with the mother) and 2 TBS of honey (raw) in 12 ounces of water two to three times/day. Let me know how that works in about 2 weeks.
Works for me...
//BT//
Old 06-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Master Pontificator

I have severe arthritis.... most things do not help. But I do note that when I do not drink enough water I hurt.

I got a call from old friend, his brother is a mess like me....he had a doctor recommend Alfalfa pills, he is feeling better for the first time in a long time. Remarking that cows do not get arthritis.... so a bunch of us tried it, all of us are feeling better. Is it the alfalfa we do not know? Get it at Wally marts vitamin section.

I swear by tiger balm, we used in the martial arts major it still helps those bones that are biting you. I put it on before going to bed and next morning I feel better.

Four doctors suggested to stop eating the gluten ...remarking that wheat is so processed it is no longer wheat. There is a book by a neurosurgeon on this issue.... I stop my long love bread addiction, and I feel great..... I start eating some gluten, I have hell to pay.

I have had a few people who are really bad, they do the bee sting treatment, says it is better then any medicine you can take. One Hawaiian told me ....he just catches the bees and does the injection himself....easy, cheap, and free. He also swears by it. Just make sure your not allergic and you got a honey bee. I have not tried this one, perhaps if I get bad enough I may consider doing this....
Old 06-22-2014, 03:20 AM

What helped me the most was to stop eating the "nightshade" vegetables specially potatoes,
The solanine in them causes swelling in the joints which causes damage and pain. The nightshade vegetables are, potatoes, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, ground cherries. I can't take most pain killers because of a hereditary liver problem,watching my diet with these helps a lot.