BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on

Hands-on Hands-on/Repair topics that do not have a dedicated board, above.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Flat Small Tires...

@#$%&%$#@! Dirty Rotten @#$% small tires are trying to drive me crazy..... Now I know many would argue that is a short trip, but I don't need this right now....

My little garden wagon had 4 low tires this spring... No surprise, no problem, pump them up and go... Two were OK, two were not... I took the pair of no flat tires off my portable welder and put on the wagon... I had another pair to put back on the welder...

Then I went to move my cultivator and both tires on it were flat... So I got a $1.49 tire patch kit, fixed all 4 tires.. AAARRGGG.... Three are still flat.... In different places... Tires are clean inside and out... No foreign bodies stuck in them... Some weather cracks... And it seems the tubes want to leak at small places that look like weather cracks...

One is bad enough I'm going to be better off just throwing it away...
Guess I'm going to have to give up and buy new tubes for the rest.....
And also buy some replacements next time I get near Harbor Freight..

Usually..... (knock on wood) I have had pretty good luck with the small Harbor Freight type small tires and wheels... I know enough that just as soon as you get them home, take them apart, clean them out as needed, trim sharp edges around the bead, coat the valve stem in liquid dish soap, re assemble and pump up to the pressure stated on the sidewall.... They usually stay...

Any suggestions, little secrets to making them stay inflated and last a long time ??
Old 06-25-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions, little secrets to making them stay inflated and last a long time ??
Tire Slime:
http://www.slime.com/

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 06-25-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 PM

Agree on the Slime also. Saved me from buying many tires.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 AM

I have the same problem. Those Chinese made tires/tubes from HarborFreight apparently are made of an inferior grade rubber that oxidizes and cracks easily. I'm not sure the Slime will solve the problem when it occurs in the side walls, as it often does.

In my experience, sometimes the tube goes bad first, and sometimes it's the tire first-- then the tube follows from lack of support at the crack.

I just replaced all four on my cart. When these go bad, my next attempt will be to see if I can fit 2 of the thinner, solid wheels/tires in tandem to replace each wider pneumatic.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:36 PM

I agree with Slime, you just have to use a lot of it. It will seal small leaks in the sidewalls if it gets to the leak--you sometimes have to take the wheel off and lay it down inflated with the leak on the bottom. I have even had it seal leaky beads, but you have to get it to the leak. Put a LOT of it into a deflated tire, inflate the tire, then pull or drive around for a while. It will even plug future hole when you drive over that occasional screw or roofing nail you missed. It doesn't seal cuts in my experience, but it does a good job on punctures.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Those Chinese made tires/tubes from HarborFreight apparently are made of an inferior grade rubber that oxidizes and cracks easily.
There are lots of things you can put on tires to help protect them

Armor All is one of the oldest, but there are many more on the market that will not only make them shine, but will offer protection from UV and dry rot
Old 06-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Master Pontificator

I buy solid wheels with no tube....heavier yes, last longer yes,... if made right. You can always make the hole bigger by drilling it and then putting it on....(that is if the body is not cheaply made). But I never deal with anything that has a tube....to many trees and bushes with thorns. I have a solid wheel on a few carts....so far one has lasted two carts, I have no complaints other then it is addition cost that is worth it.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiDi View Post
I buy solid wheels with no tube....heavier yes, last longer yes,... if made right. You can always make the hole bigger by drilling it and then putting it on....(that is if the body is not cheaply made). But I never deal with anything that has a tube....to many trees and bushes with thorns. I have a solid wheel on a few carts....so far one has lasted two carts, I have no complaints other then it is addition cost that is worth it.
I've had mixed results with Slime on the garden tires -- I too have thorns to contend with. (We have a hawthorn bush that has thorns on its thorns!)

I've also purchased Slime brand inner tubes. . . not much better off. Next time around, I'll be getting something like these. Search Northern Tool or Harbor Freight for "flat free"

The tires will end up costing more than the cart but what good is the cart if it's flat all the time?

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:32 PM
Master Pontificator

Randell... That is interesting.....bullet proof....let me know how they hold up. I am always game for things that last forever. smile.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:16 PM

Wyo -
I've had the same issue with both my garden cart and a small wagon. I was looking at tire foam but haven't decided if it's as good as they say. Maybe someone here has tried that product?
http://www.sttc.com/services/tire-services/flatproofing
Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 AM

Thanks CarolAnn.... I have used equipment with tires filled with that kind of foam... They are MAJOR heavy duty for there intended use...

I can't imagine any tire place capable of doing that kind of fill wanting to mess with garden wagon size tires...

I have looked for new inter tubes for the sizes I need... Turns out they are more expensive than new tires and wheels...
I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet.... And just pay for no flat tires and wheels in the sizes I need... Once I get them painted green or yellow, it will be done and over with...

On my cultivator frame, I have been thinking of making a pair of skids to replace the tires... It may be the easiest way to solve that particular problem.... If I do that..... Will post a build thread in the tractor area...

Take care...