BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 03-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default check your weapons

Yesterday I decided to look over my Walther P22. It's the one I pack around a lot and it goes into different vest all the time. So I pulled it out and something looked different about it, so I held it up and the front sight was missing, yeppers it had apparently snagged on something and it pulled right out of the depression it was pressed into. Glad I didn't have to use it. I should have a regular check system for all my weapons.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 PM

OUCH...... That is not a good thing to discover....
Tried to look up pictures of the P22 so I could see how it is attached....
Is the sight plastic ?? Pressed in ?? Staked in from inside the slide ?? Glued in ??

I have seen 1911 type pistols that loose the front site, because they aren't staked in properly....

Be sure to let us know how the fix goes....

Good luck
Old 03-08-2014, 10:23 PM

It looks like they are pressed in because there is an oval depression that is empty where the front sight used to be. When I get another one it will be epoxied in.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Master Pontificator

Offgridbob, GET RID OF THAT WALTHER! I've owned TWO of them and both had FTF and FTE's more times than I can count. I disassembled the danged thing, cleaned it, lubed it, checked clearances, reassembled it and it STILL had problems. I gave the last one away....I did tell him about the problems and he took it anyway.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:25 AM

otobesane1,I may use it for trading material and go back to my old ruger mark 1. The only problem I have with the ruger is the old thing is so darn heavy.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:51 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
otobesane1,I may use it for trading material and go back to my old ruger mark 1. The only problem I have with the ruger is the old thing is so darn heavy.
Heavy, yes, but not much recoil and deadly accurate. I have a Mark II that I love. Well, I used to have one, but all my guns were stolen when I moved to South Dakota years ago. Now all I've got is a single shot .22 and an old single shot .12ga. I may not even be able to find any "bullets" for those two old guns. I'm harmless. Really!

Almost forgot, I bought a .357 revolver that the SD Highway Patrol had used. It was stamped #25. Cool pistol.....no idea what ever happened to it.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:20 PM

If you had offered to give me a bad gun, I'd take it, too! We try to keep bad guns around (which we make inoperable) as decoys. Let someone break in and take them. I don't care. Let the feds raid the house and discover these - but the ones that are well hidden alone.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineID View Post
If you had offered to give me a bad gun, I'd take it, too! We try to keep bad guns around (which we make inoperable) as decoys. Let someone break in and take them. I don't care. Let the feds raid the house and discover these - but the ones that are well hidden alone.
That's not a bad Idea but the fix on this one is pretty simple and I have not had a jam in it since I bought it. I have probably shot at least one brick through it. for that matter I could just take the back sight off and use it instinctively. It's not a long range gun but it's light to carry and shoots fast, and is double action. At close range it will get your attention. I keep a couple of throw aways to make sure if someone brakes in without a weapon they will leave with one feet first.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:11 PM

Could you improvise a sight for the gun, say out of a nail or other such metal that can be trimmed/fitted via dremel etc? One good thing about handguns at close range is, sights for the most part can be optional, especially in an emergency.. If you can sight along the barrel, there's at least an average chance you'll still hit your target.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:33 PM

That's exactly what I plan to do. I will remove the back sight now that the front one is gone. I'll never win a gun battle with it but it is nice to carry. It fits into my vest pocket with out showing and it does not weigh down that side of the vest.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:18 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdAk1hCnoY

Practice shooting from the hip and shoulder without using the sights. This is for up close (slow dancing) defense .

One of my sons has a Walther P22, and never had any problems with it.

Last edited by Sacalait50; 04-28-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:45 AM

I'm a little late to this party, but my P22 came with 3 front sights of varying heights to adjust elevation.
Pull one out, push another in and good to go.
I bet you can call the manufacturer and get a set
Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobesane1 View Post
Offgridbob, GET RID OF THAT WALTHER! I've owned TWO of them and both had FTF and FTE's more times than I can count. I disassembled the danged thing, cleaned it, lubed it, checked clearances, reassembled it and it STILL had problems. I gave the last one away....I did tell him about the problems and he took it anyway.
It could be just bad luck. I've had my Walther P22 for over a year now and I've put close to 750 rds through it. Only had 1 FTF and 3 FTE's. It might also have been the ammo.

When I first got mine I was told that the only ammo you were supposed to use is CCI's. So, that's what I use in it. I had heard about the problems if you use any other ammo so I haven't tried anything other than the CCI's.