BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickFarmer View Post
.... but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter.
And there's absolutely ZERO scientific evdence that there is either (a) an environmental hazard from ambient levels of lead or (b) that any environemental benefit will accrue from the regulations.

Lead was removed from paint and gasoline 35 yrs ago on the assumption that ambient lead from these sources was causing ghetto kids to score lower on IQ tests than their more affluent peers. IQ scores have not changes even one point since then.

There is no medical evidence that "lead poisoning" can be achieved by exposure to lead except by direct ingestion of large amounts of contaminated dirt, leaded gasoline, etc over a long period of time. Casual exposrue to ambient environenntal lead won't do it, and the "acceptable levels" are entirely arbitrary.

How many of you or your acquaintences have been walking around with old slugs from GSWs never removed from 30 or 40 yrs ago with no discernable ill effects?

Liberals love to create imaginary "problems" which only their regulations can "solve." It's all about control.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
If you are shooting .45 auto, 9mm, .223, 308.....buy bullets......I can walk down my street and collect enough wheel weights to keep banging away for a long time.
Well put. If I spent time building bullets I wouldn't have much time for the range anyway. I envy those of you who can do that sort of craft. I would probably find myself waking up with gunpowder on my face and drool in my gunpowder.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
And there's absolutely ZERO scientific evdence that there is either (a) an environmental hazard from ambient levels of lead or (b) that any environemental benefit will accrue from the regulations.

Lead was removed from paint and gasoline 35 yrs ago on the assumption that ambient lead from these sources was causing ghetto kids to score lower on IQ tests than their more affluent peers. IQ scores have not changes even one point since then.

There is no medical evidence that "lead poisoning" can be achieved by exposure to lead except by direct ingestion of large amounts of contaminated dirt, leaded gasoline, etc over a long period of time. Casual exposrue to ambient environenntal lead won't do it, and the "acceptable levels" are entirely arbitrary.

How many of you or your acquaintences have been walking around with old slugs from GSWs never removed from 30 or 40 yrs ago with no discernable ill effects?

Liberals love to create imaginary "problems" which only their regulations can "solve." It's all about control.
Well there is one point where you are incorrect. Aviation fuel (aka av gas or 100LL) still contains lead. There has been a movement afoot to discontinue avgas usage. The Epa or whomever is suggesting that general aviation is the biggest air polluter when it comes to airborne lead contaminants. This is total BS and just another move by the liberals to ban something that there is no real proof that is causing damage.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Back in the early 80's I worked for the forestery industry and ended up near Wallace, Idaho; the site of one of America's last lead smelters. I have to say that most nuclear waste dumps looked more attractive than that place. The environmental effects of the lead fumes were clear for everyone to see. Whole hillsides of vegetation stunted or killed off completely, and lot of cull people running around.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:19 PM

Default Getto kids

Getto kids ,, babies teething were chewing on window sills painted with paint that may have contained lead oxides.
Many of the lead based paints were designed for painting metal...due to the low price many people purchased this type of paint and used it on wood as it also helped prevented mold and rot.

I'd expect any smelter to have stunted vegetation surrounding the plant. I grew up in Pittsburg/Wheeling area and trust me when I say their were a lot of stunted life forms.

Remember when Lake Erie caught on fire? Standard oil use to let naphtha and gasoline run off as a waste by-product of kerosene.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:46 AM

mentaly sick people want to get rid of the guns. attacking lead manufacturing is one way they have.

storing up lead and jacketed bullets/powder/primers ~ factory ammo now is ok, but rember, it can all be destroyed or stoled as my own stores have been several time in my life. hide it well if you want to keep it.

home cast slugs work great in the 9mm, 40cal, 10mm, and .45 for semiautomantic pistoles and carbines, also the 38 spl, .357 mag, and the .44 mag revolvers. the .30 m1 carbine loves to gobble up home cast reloads too.

i really enjoy turning dirty old lead into shiny clean ingots, then into bullets, then into cartridges, it dosnt take a lot of time and it is really rewarding.

the winchester rifles and carbines in the 357mag, .44 mag and 30-30 can do a lot with home cast rounds,

a 300 grain bullet going 1,600 fps is nothing to mock.

we are at that time, as has been stated already, when you should already have your store bought and packed away.

for several years now, the lead wheel weights from the tire shops have been phased out with steal weights.

i have nowen a few people who built a stamp machine to make jacketed bullets from copper pennys, soon these ~copper pennys~ will be gone also
Old 01-04-2014, 12:09 PM

Blackpowerbill... that was the Cayahouga River; about 1/2 hour north of where I lived. That was Ralph Nader's heyday, too... because of all the Corvair accidents.

But what the enviromeddlists just will never see (because they don't want to) is that in those 40 odd years, businesses of all kinds have worked hard and spent their fair share of money to clean up the worst of their environmental sins. What's being pushed now -- are standards so high, that not even a family farm could exist under them, we'd have to compete for nuts and berries with the wildlife.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
Getto kids ,, babies teething were chewing on window sills painted with paint that may have contained lead oxides.
Many of the lead based paints were designed for painting metal...due to the low price many people purchased this type of paint and used it on wood as it also helped prevented mold and rot.

I'd expect any smelter to have stunted vegetation surrounding the plant. I grew up in Pittsburg/Wheeling area and trust me when I say their were a lot of stunted life forms.

Remember when Lake Erie caught on fire? Standard oil use to let naphtha and gasoline run off as a waste by-product of kerosene.
a] That's the whole point: eliminating lead from paint didn't help the IQ scores.

b] There's a difference of local effects within a few dozen yds of a smelter vs. the diluted Pb levels farther away (levels dilute by the inverse cube law: 100 ft away levels are only 1/ one millionth of the level 10ft away)

c] There's a difference between reasonable regulation vs the current EPA's unscientific quest for power. Law of diminshing returns. How clean is clean enough?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:52 PM

They're using pollution as a method to close down firing ranges as well. I know more than one rifle range here that closed because they couldn't afford the forced lead remediation by the feds. I'm surprised game commission owned ranges remained open. I see the day when all the ranges will go under or will be under such scrutiny from the environmental agencies, that it won't be worth it to belong to one. I can see it now, a sign on the wall "all users must dig up and discard each bullet fired into the provided environmentally friendly blue receptacles, located at the exit". All the while an official who counted your ammunition on the way in is now counting the amount of bullets you claimed to have fired. One check of the surveillance files will tell them if you are lying or not.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:24 PM

I didn't see any mention of building up a supply of lead shot. That really is the only way to load a shotgun shell as far as I'm concerned. There are other types of shot but none of it is as good as lead, if it is it costs about 3 times as much.

When people talk about subsistence hunting they usually forget about birds and rabbits. That's a big mistake because those are easier to put in the pot than four legged game in some places.

I load some lead for my 45's and 357 but I don't cast anything, I just stockpile bullets. Takes up less space and no fumes. I bought lots of shot back when it was <$1/lb because everyone said it was going to get expensive. I used to shoot trap and when I needed a bag I bought 2 and squirreled one away. I have 150 lbs of it in my basement contained.

So stocking lead is probably a good idea if you cast. If you don't stocking bullets and shot is just as good. I'm sure a lot of people are buying more than they use like me.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/18...to-green-ammo/

I've been reading about this of late. I will admit I have ordered some lead recently from rotometals to insure that I can cast my own muzzleloader ammunition for some time to come. I didnt' do it out of fear but I now think I've made a wise choice considering that others will most likely start hoarding lead if the supply dries up. Seems to me to be the back door gun control scenario. Can't ban the gun so lets get rid of the ammo by driving the price up so high nobody can afford it. .
There is a possibility that collecting lead will be more profitable then buying and saving gold.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM

Default shot supplies

I use to shoot thousands of clay targets every year. I stlll have close to a 1,000 lbs here. It does not take much shot to down a bird or rabbit. My go to SG is a 410 1100. 1/2 oz of shot in 6's 5's or 4's one pellet hits is all it takes.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:03 PM

Default I mine...

I mine for lead at our little range... I am the only one that does in my area.... I use a rocker box thing and just throw a couple big shovels in and then rock away till it is nothing but bullets and other large pebbles... Then pick the bullets out.....

Mark
AlaskanGuy
Old 08-06-2014, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
I mine for lead at our little range... I am the only one that does in my area.... I use a rocker box thing and just throw a couple big shovels in and then rock away till it is nothing but bullets and other large pebbles... Then pick the bullets out.....

Mark
AlaskanGuy
Reminds me of the time when I was shaking screens for archaeological evidence.

Reminds me, I need to start to get some molds for my .30 and .35 cal rifles.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:51 PM

When I mined this spring after breakup, I mined about 260 lbs and smelted them right into ingots at the range with my portable smelting setup.... It works great, and that is way more then I will use this year... It is easy to store lead ingots that have been already fluxed and cleaned... Just drop in the lee pot and bullets just pop out...