BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 08-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Knot your thread

OK - who else does the off-hand knot? My grandpa showed me this when I was about 7, when he was teaching me how to embroider!

Hold the threaded needle in your right hand (or favored hand.)
With the left (or off-hand) - wrap a loop around your index finger, leaving a short tail. With your index finger and thumb, you roll the loop to make it twisty. Then you pinch down with the finger next to your index finger - actually it's the fingernail on the thread, against the thumb. As you pull the thread with your right hand, it makes a knot in the end of the thread.

This works with a single or double thread. It's a slip knot, so you can pull the short end and remove it if you need to.

I'm just amazed at the young folks I work with who think this is some kind of magic! (Of course, they don't sew on buttons, either!)
Old 08-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn View Post
OK - who else does the off-hand knot? My grandpa showed me this when I was about 7, when he was teaching me how to embroider!

With the left (or off-hand) - wrap a loop around your index finger, leaving a short tail. With your index finger and thumb, you roll the loop to make it twisty. Then you pinch down with the finger next to your index finger - actually it's the fingernail on the thread, against the thumb. As you pull the thread with your right hand, it makes a knot in the end of the thread.

This works with a single or double thread. It's a slip knot, so you can pull the short end and remove it if you need to.

I'm just amazed at the young folks I work with who think this is some kind of magic! (Of course, they don't sew on buttons, either!)
LOl I do that--Great Grand Mother taught me that one.
My Great Grand Father used it making fish nets.
I didnt know there was any other way---Glad to know someone else does it .
Old 08-04-2014, 06:06 PM

Relief! Someone else does this also!!

I was getting a needle ready for one of our young guys who had ripped his pants - and when he saw me knot the thread, he said, "Wait, WAIT! How'd you do that?" Oh, brother. Another way to make me feel like a dinosaur! He DID sew up his own britches, though - I didn't ask exactly where the rip was, either!!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Relief! Someone else does this also!!

I was getting a needle ready for one of our young guys who had ripped his pants - and when he saw me knot the thread, he said, "Wait, WAIT! How'd you do that?" Oh, brother. Another way to make me feel like a dinosaur! He DID sew up his own britches, though - I didn't ask exactly where the rip was, either!!
I have never known any other way---and one thing though,I have never learned to use a thimble---: My Mother tried to get me to use one--I can knot the thread but not manage a thimble---its like having a 6th finger or something.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:41 AM

Interesting CarolAnn.... I would like to see how that is done....
Sounds kind of like a surgeons one handed knot... My buddy Mike in machinist tec college (about 30 years ago) could do that... But then he was a psychologist, he also had other medical degrees, his dad was a surgeon, and other family members in health care...

I can put on buttons... And a very few other needle work repairs... Not pretty, but functional...

Talent is a gift... No matte what it is...

Enjoy...
Old 08-08-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
I have never known any other way---and one thing though,I have never learned to use a thimble---: My Mother tried to get me to use one--I can knot the thread but not manage a thimble---its like having a 6th finger or something.
I was taught at textile college how to use a thimble correctly, as professional tailors do, and I know find it very hard to sew anything, even a button, without one. I'm amassing quite a collection too. Another thing they taught there was a knot in the thread similar to the way described above.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahM View Post
I was taught at textile college how to use a thimble correctly, as professional tailors do, and I know find it very hard to sew anything, even a button, without one. I'm amassing quite a collection too. Another thing they taught there was a knot in the thread similar to the way described above.
My Mother had a small collection.
I have her most favorite one--worn almost slick from years of use.
She was a seamtress of rare quality.
She could look at a dress in a store window--go home and cut a pattern out of newspaper.
Having grown up during the depression---

Are you a Tailor?
Do you have your own shop?
How very interesting.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 PM

That's how I do my knots too.
Learned in Girls Scouts some 30 years ago.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Hmmm! After giving this procedure quite a bit of thought, I don't know whether I do it this way or not. I think I tie knots in the end of a thread without ever thinking about it. My Gram (born in 1895) taught me to sew, knit, and crochet. Now I will never put a knot in the end of a thread ever again without thinking about this! Gee, thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
...She could look at a dress in a store window--go home and cut a pattern out of newspaper.
My Ma was like that too. Once when I was in hi school, I spilled something at breakfast on my last clean shirt. She whipped a new one up on her sewing machine in about 20 minutes because it would have taken more than an hour to wash and dry the old one.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
My Ma was like that too. Once when I was in hi school, I spilled something at breakfast on my last clean shirt. She whipped a new one up on her sewing machine in about 20 minutes because it would have taken more than an hour to wash and dry the old one.
My Mother made school clothes for all 6 of us in just a few weeks on an old treadle machine.
It takes Mothers days of shopping to buy inferior clothes and spent 100's if not $1000.00's.

Its a lost art---we need to keep these skills alive.
And BTW way Doc--I bet you could teach of some knots?:
Old 08-14-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
My Mother made school clothes for all 6 of us in just a few weeks on an old treadle machine.
It takes Mothers days of shopping to buy inferior clothes and spent 100's if not $1000.00's.

Its a lost art---we need to keep these skills alive.
And BTW way Doc--I bet you could teach of some knots?:
No. There's a reason I'm not a surgeon. I'm too clumsy. I'd wind up sewing my own thumb to some poor guy's gall bladder. My home repairs look like Oliver Wendel Douglas' repair of his front bannister on Green Acres.

When my wife has a repair job for me, she rates the difficulty in how many "M-F ers" it should take me to get it done.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
No. There's a reason I'm not a surgeon. I'm too clumsy. I'd wind up sewing my own thumb to some poor guy's gall bladder. My home repairs look like Oliver Wendel Douglas' repair of his front bannister on Green Acres.

When my wife has a repair job for me, she rates the difficulty in how many "M-F ers" it should take me to get it done.
Yeah but the world needs you GP's---smart wife.
Does she have a penalty jar for the(M F-ers) : :