BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy View Post
Mighty fine work there... except the second piece, it should be UO and green and gold

http://shoplylive.s3.amazonaws.com/c...fbed31d55f.jpg

LOL Well it was a commision piece for a friend's niece.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:05 PM

Wonderful hobby. Do you buy the goose eggs? I gave a bunch of them away last year.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:22 PM

Super impressive.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 PM

Bookie, yes I buy them. A jumbo is around $11 each now. I usually buy from Schiltz Goose farm in South Dakota. Been buying from them for 40+ years.

Ken, thank you!
Old 06-13-2014, 03:31 AM

If you look close you can see that this is not true weaving. It would have made the egg to bulky. But a whole lot faster to make as each and everyone of those *^+$# little pieces of cord had to be cut and placed one-at-a-time. The virtical ones are about 2 1/2" but the tiny ones are between 1/4" to 1/2". It will be finished to look like metal. I call these eggs my Heavy Metal eggs. To keep the ends and short pieces of cord from raveling I run a lenght of it between my fingers that have white gule on them and twist the cord at the same time. It coats the cord and makes it take paint better.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...54191841_n.jpg

Last edited by OzarksLady; 06-13-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 AM

The main reason I am posting my work here is for those that are looking for a hobby that can make some pretty good pocket change if you are crafty. And it would be great for someone that doesn't get around well. You can make Easter and Christmas eggs, for the tree, to sell at craft shows. With the Heavy Metal eggs you could go in the Steam Punk , https://www.google.com/search?q=Stea...=1006&bih=1346 , style direction. They are really interesting and something I'd think a guy would like to get as a gift. You can buy bags of old watch parts on eBay to use. That and a few small screws or other small junk from a work bench, a can or two of metallic paint, some Elmer's and your on your way. Of course you can do all flowers, ribbons, bunnies and unicorn farts if you want. A small figurine, lace, beads and there you go.

You can actually cut a chicken with a small pair of manicure scissors. You just have to take tiny little snips. When you're done glue some braid or lace around the cut and no one will ever know. You can buy a inexpensive rotary tool at Lowe's or a better quality Dremel. I used a Dremel for 45 years until just last month. Well I sill use it for some things.

There are a few video's on YouTube showing how to cut eggs and some decorating. One even shows you how to cut a egg for a hinge. Egg decorating books are available on Amazon. You can go small or you can go big and still make some beautiful eggs. Anyone with engineering knowledge or a handy husband is always ahead of the game. Almost every single of the ladies that make really difficult cuts and angles on eggs has a husband that is a engineer of some sort.

If anyone wants address for businesses that just sell egg trims, stands, cutting tools, glues and such PM me and I'll be glad to share them.

Nothing would make me happier than to encourage/help someone to become an egger. But I warn you walking across the yard will have you looking at every bird feather and acorn top thinking "Hummmm? How can I use that in a egg".
Old 06-20-2014, 01:42 AM

I cleaned out two dozen jumbo chicken eggs today. I was wishing I had as much hot air as some people around here before it was all said and done.
(just kidding)

I have a Dremel with a flex shaft that makes drilling the holes easier. I only drill one hole in each egg. Next I stir the egg up breaking the yolk and trying to somewhat scramble the egg inside the shell. Then I put a long flexable tube in the egg, holding the egg hole side down and blow air into the egg. The hole is just slightly larger than the tube. Just large enough to let the egg pass out. As each egg is emptied it's put into a large bowl with a weak bleach mixture. The eggs float so there the water doesn't get into the egg. I have a empty hot sauce bottle that I fill with more weak bleach water and let them sit in the bowl for a few minutes. I don't want the bleach to disolve the membrain, it makes the egg stronger, in the egg so they only sit a very little time. Again with the tube to empty the egg then more water. This time plain water. Depending on what the water looks like when that is emptied out I turn the eggs, hole side down, into a plastic storage container to drain. If the water looks milky it gets another rinsing out.

Started on an Appaloosa egg today. You did know Appaloosa's are hatched from eggs didn't you? I can't post a photo of it yet because the person that it's a surprise for would see it on FB.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:46 PM

Wow outstandingly beautiful.

A question if I may.
Wasnt there a Queen(Hungarin) that made these.
Its been years ago but remember a 60 Minutes show on them.

Steady hands there! :
Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 PM

An Appaloosa egg for my friends Carolyn & Keith.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7318077&type=1
Old 07-01-2014, 03:44 PM

Someone on another site said they couldn't open this photo. Is anyone here having problems with that?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:47 PM

Trying to post links to the eggs but having issues.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:16 AM

The Appaloosa egg

Old 07-06-2014, 01:18 AM

Too cute.....
Is the dark brown the natural color of the egg ??
I presume this is goose egg or bigger ??

Thanks for sharing...
Old 07-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Wyo, it's a emu egg. They are usually dark green and have a surface texture like an avacado and have 3-4 layers. The first is the dark green then, sometimes, a grayish layer, teal and finally a very thin white layer. What I did with the Appy egg is only showing a tiny amount of the teal with most of it being the grayish layer. I used a bur that left the surface texture looking like hair.

This particular egg was exposed to light for a time and I think that's what made it look brown. I got two new ones in the mail yesterday that are the classic color. I bought these off eBay because they have the hole drilled in the side instead of the end. Most people drill the hole in the large end when emptying it and, depending on your design, can cause problems with trying to cover it up. In IEAG, International Egg Art Guild, you are judged on how well you cover up the hole or work it into your design.

I need to start spraying a UV protection on the emu eggs when I get them. That will keep them nice and green/black. Someone said they use a paste car wax on their emu eggs.

Oh, and thank you. :-)
Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 PM

Thirty two jumbo chicken eggs.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...9a76932e85ca9e