BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 09-04-2014, 12:52 AM

Default Singer Featherlite Problem

Anyone out there have a Singer Featherlite & if you do have you ever had an issue with it not stitching properly. Mine won't pickup the bobbin thread & pull it thru in order to actually make a stitch. This is so very frustrating. i have a lot of different machines/types & my go to machine laid down & gave up the ghost. Repairman said sorry its dead for sure this time. so i drug out this old machine i bought cuz it was a cutie but never really used & now i think i know why it was for sale. I have followed the manual to the letter on winding bobbin, threading double checking i have correct needle etc etc. i want to pull my hair out or set the machine on fire not sure which yet. help help help somebody
Old 09-04-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Anyone out there have a Singer Featherlite & if you do have you ever had an issue with it not stitching properly. Mine won't pickup the bobbin thread & pull it thru in order to actually make a stitch. This is so very frustrating. i have a lot of different machines/types & my go to machine laid down & gave up the ghost. Repairman said sorry its dead for sure this time. so i drug out this old machine i bought cuz it was a cutie but never really used & now i think i know why it was for sale. I have followed the manual to the letter on winding bobbin, threading double checking i have correct needle etc etc. i want to pull my hair out or set the machine on fire not sure which yet. help help help somebody
Yes I have used one of these machines and yes they can be frustrating. It is a Featherweight 221 not Featherlite, there's lots of info on internet about these machines. One of the main reasons the needle won't pick up bobbin thread is lint under throat plate or inside bobbin case. Don't set it on fire these machines are gems and costly now. I love mine almost as much as I love my Pfaff and in some cases more, lol.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
Yes I have used one of these machines and yes they can be frustrating. It is a Featherweight 221 not Featherlite, there's lots of info on internet about these machines. One of the main reasons the needle won't pick up bobbin thread is lint under throat plate or inside bobbin case. Don't set it on fire these machines are gems and costly now. I love mine almost as much as I love my Pfaff and in some cases more, lol.
And you may have to replace that bobbins shuttle.
Dirt--lint especially in the years we sewed double knit--was a real pain.

Some of the older models have springs that get clogged up----newer ones have cams that get clogged up.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Along with my winter sewing projects has gone the job of tuning up a couple old machines I got from thrift stores.... Like you said, one was not capable of being saved... A couple others just took some good TLC care...

Two machines are Kenmore, and one is a Euro-Pro... All seem to be basic Singer design as I remember the machine my Dad and I got Mom in the 1970s....

Like said... VERY good cleaning... Lube, make sure everything that should move does, and things that shouldn't move don't....

Two things I have found.... Needles can't take as much abuse.... It may look OK, but not be... The position of the needle at the time of thread pick up from the bobbin is as critical as any other part of the system...

To go with that... There seem to be in this type of bobbin system, 4 major parts... Bobbin, bobbin case, 1st moving part around the bobbin case, and second rotating part around the bobbin case... I found a rough area on one those parts that the needle had hit... It was a VERY small rough spot, but enough to mess up the thread movement...

I spent a little time with my tool and die maker hone stones to clean it up and it is good to go....

Or maybe I just got lucky with thrift store machines.... ??

Good luck...
Old 09-04-2014, 06:32 PM

If I could find a Featherweight at thrift store OMG. They are so expensive now anywhere from $400-up, even a replacement case is around $70.00. Even the old black singers are so nice once you get them going, a dream to work with.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
If I could find a Featherweight at thrift store OMG. They are so expensive now anywhere from $400-up, even a replacement case is around $70.00. Even the old black singers are so nice once you get them going, a dream to work with.
I have an old Black Singer in its orginal case----its time for her tune up---she is an old prize I will always keep.

I like what WYO said about needles---they dont hold up as good as the old ones did.
In my fancy computerized the kids got me I am constantly changing needles and I gave up buying Singer needles--very soft.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:48 PM

Well thank y'all for weighing in. The hubby took the old gal to the repairman that worked on it last time & as it turns out the needle was simply inserted the wrong direction. Which is the same direction the repairman left it the last time he worked on it! so i will drag it out again tomorrow & see how she does. I gave $250 for the machine in the original box with accessories & thought that was too much but maybe not. In my neck of the woods old machines are a dime a dozen so you just never know if you got a deal or if someone was getting rid of their problem. I really loved it's size & portability. Handy dandy for taking with you.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Well thank y'all for weighing in. The hubby took the old gal to the repairman that worked on it last time & as it turns out the needle was simply inserted the wrong direction. Which is the same direction the repairman left it the last time he worked on it! so i will drag it out again tomorrow & see how she does. I gave $250 for the machine in the original box with accessories & thought that was too much but maybe not. In my neck of the woods old machines are a dime a dozen so you just never know if you got a deal or if someone was getting rid of their problem. I really loved it's size & portability. Handy dandy for taking with you.
Needles and the wrong size thread for the needle also----I use a standard size 11---unless I am into heavy fabric.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:57 PM

Default All metal

You have to love the old, all metal machines. I bought one (a good housekeeper, I think) at the ARC a year or so back for $10. Love her! And have my computerized pfaff, which is 20 + herself. Last but not least a Mason treadle that I found in an abandoned house. Need a belt for her, one of these days...Wish when I got the computerized pfaff I had instead got an all metal pfaff that was in the shop on trade in. But it was $500 then (24 years ago) and I had 3 little kids, no cash and good credit. So I got the new one, charged it in store. Too soon old, too late smart.