BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Walmart lay-away

For those who are interested the Lay-away program at Wal-Mart starts on Friday, the 12th. I saw it mentioned on a sale flyer as I was leaving the one near me today. My daughter has said she'll help me choose a new laptop and will put it on lay-away for me. I'm guessing I can get one for about $300 that will be sufficient for my needs which will make the payments about $60 twice a month.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:23 PM

Used to be that most department stores had Layways programs. Many of us on here prob received our Christmas gifts this way from our Parents. Credit cards were not as common back then.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 AM

As A single Mom Thats how I got school clothes and Christmas for my kids----WM shot theirselves in the foot when they did away with it a few years back--Target and KMart picked up their customers.

One of the things was the cost of renting the big trailers they stored stuff in---why A business as huge as WM didnt just buy containers--I never understood.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
One of the things was the cost of renting the big trailers they stored stuff in---why A business as huge as WM didnt just buy containers--I never understood.
Possibly because 95% of the huge number of containers they'd need to accommodate the Christmas season layaways would sit empty the rest of the year.

When I was 18, I worked at a Child World in a strip mall for a while. They had to rent the +/- 10,000 sq ft second floor of a building 1/4 mile away to store Christmas layaways. Imagine long rows of boxes piled ten feet high with three feet between rows filling that space. And it wasn't enough! They ended up with additional trailers parked behind the store for the rest of it.

Business was good in those days, with wide profit margins I would guess.

Oliver
Old 09-19-2014, 11:30 PM

I'm not sure where this new store is storing their layaway items because for some reason they're no allowed to put the metal storage containers behind or in front of the store. I'm going to try and get my laptop out early because I don't want to spend forever standing in line when I pick it up.