BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy > Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal

Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal And other types of alternative energy

Old 10-12-2014, 07:55 PM

Default Need some ideas please

Hello,

I'm looking for ideas on using the river next to my property. It has low head, the flow varies, along with the depth. Haven't had time to check either one but I plan to once I get back home. Right now I'm trying to do as much research with the little information I have.

Once a day 20 miles up the river, Entergy (local power company), releases water from Remmel Dam. It takes a few hours for the water to start really moving at the property.

In the morning the water is averages 8"-12" deep but once the water is released the river quickly gets up to 4'-6', and stays that way for 3 hours or so.

My ultimate goal would to be able to use the river for hydroelectric power and charge batteries.

I was thinking about a waterwheel (but not sure because of so much change in water depth). Then I was thinking about a waterwheel on pontoons ( another I don't know). A "WaterBug" but I haven't seen any of those sold. With my limited knowledge of hydroelectric power, seems a water turbine like the AmpAir-12V, is something I need to look into a little more.
http://www.absak.com/catalog/product.../products_id/3

Can anyone give me other items I need to look at?

I've contacted the Army Corp of Engineers about using the river for a source of power. They need to know what, when, where, size........ So I'm thinking smaller the better, for getting the application approved.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

An alternative might be a hydraulic ram pump.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tra...uestion318.htm

Old 10-12-2014, 10:53 PM

As someone that is on full hydro and a great proponent of it I have to say that you are probably better off investing the money into solar.
Extreme low head hydro plants are the most expensive per watt output. Your situation with the 600% sudden depth increases even complicates it farther and makes it more expensive to install.
The ampair at full output is going to cost you just for the generator and turbine is going to cost you $30 a watt. Solar is about $1 a watt for the panels now.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
An alternative might be a hydraulic ram pump.
He wants generate electricity. A ram pump is for filling a water tank or reservoir with water.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
He wants generate electricity. A ram pump is for filling a water tank or reservoir with water.
Sorry - missed that part.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

I like the pontoon idea myself. A "Floating Dock", per se, tied off from shore on both sides with a water wheel built through the deck. The depth/flow is pretty much predictable. It would settle near the same spot during low flow. It could settle solid enough during low flow to climb on and make repairs/adjustments if needed..

Spin a self exciting alternating voltage generator, like one on a gasoline generator, rectify the power to D.C., run that into an MPPT type charge controller to charge a battery. (Either 12 or 24 volts) The voltage would be high leaving the "Dock" so smaller wire could be used instead of dealing with low voltage D.C. at any distance..

If there is an issue with the MPPT controller accepting pulsating D.C., add a capacitor between the controller and the rectifier to smooth things out..

Boy.. I'd have fun with that... LOL
*Robert Frost*