BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post
Making the child pay for her own gas/insurance. (I have to be honest here.)
As far as money savings for us, I would say only using the $4 scripts as much as possible.
I'm a mom to 7 kids also and each one has had to have a means of making money before they could get their license. They pay for their own gas, insurance, cell phone and most of their clothes...and even more so since I'm a single mom with only a secretaries salary. 5 are grown but only 3 live away from home. The older 2 at home also help with some grocery money. Awesome kids! Btw...what is a "script"?
Old 06-30-2014, 12:52 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Scripts = prescriptions.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:03 AM

Will power and hard work... Pure and simple .
Old 06-30-2014, 04:02 AM

For us, a wood furnace and garden run neck and neck. This past winter, we'd have spent at least $5000 for LP. We actually spent about $100 in consumables for the saws and such to cut, split and haul wood, and probably another $300 amortized expense in the stove, splitter, saws, etc.

We've gardened and raised our own food so long now, I'm completely out of touch with what our food bill would be if we had to buy everything, but I'm certain it'd be significant.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 AM

The one thing I would do is grow a garden if I could. I should have enough buckets next Spring to grow a few things in them to supplement what I get through my church and the little bit I buy. I'm mainly interested in a Spring mix for salads, tomatoes, onions, green beans, yellow squash, and zucchini.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:39 PM

You know if it was at all possible I would get rid of my truck.
Its my biggest expense.
New tires
Serpentine belt
Battery
Oil changes a must
and gas
And its tag and inspection time.(new wiper blades for it too pass)

But in the vastness of this state--I cant.

And one more---seemingly mundane: Trash man.
I dont burn mine--use too but fires scare me too bad.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Volunteering

Without a doubt the single biggest way for me to save is to volunteer at my local thrift shop. The other day one of the other volunteers said she had 60 canning jars she wanted to get rid of. She was willing to give them away. As the population ages and people pass away or go to nursing homes, the families just box everything up and donate it. They don't have the time or interest to sort through it all. We get Wedgewood China and Fenton glass items. We recently received 15 black trash bags filled with high quality clothes, shoes and purses. I get teased but I often rescue things that other volunteers throw out. I rescued a copper 3 tiered pie stand the other day. All it needs is a good cleaning. I also brought home a king size blue and white quilt that was stained. I washed it and it is now sparkling, stain free and hanging on my living room wall. Free!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
Learning to live the frugal lifestyle which covers all the others
You are SO right... and

I am very lucky to have had circumstances of birth and rearing that instilled this in me-- didn't have to learn anything except the determination not to stray from the lifestyle once returning to it. We've always had no debt and tried to pay the least possible amount for anything of equal quality based on all costs for the quality and performance actually needed (versus wanted). Granted, this isn't always so easy to do. I call this the depression mentality. Lots of us, I think, carry this flag with you.

Okay, sum it up as this one thing: Our state of mind, consciously trying always to bear the least long-term costs for everything.

oeb
Old 10-16-2014, 08:36 PM

Life style. If we lived differently we could not afford it.
We are waiting with bated breath for the Elio car to come on the market. DH signed up for it a couple a years ago. 85 miles to the gallon.
shop Good will
shop Aldi
consolidate trips to town
Old 10-17-2014, 05:30 PM

Default Christmas Gifts

I just made a deal with a young couple that we've been exchanging gifts with. This year we are going to try having a $10 gift exchange. The gifts for each other can be purchased, 2nd hand, vintage, homemade, found, or a re-gift. But the outlay of cash can't be more than $10.

They've just bought their first house, and $$ are tight here, so I'm quite excited to try this.

It's making for some interesting conversations and creative thinking.

Oh, wrapping paper? I have 2 really nice wallpaper sample books, and have been wrapping gifts with that. Need strong tape to make it "stick", but it's sure nice quality paper to work with.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMOM View Post
If you could do only ONE thing that is frugal and saves you the most money,
What would it be?
1. Tithe and believe God for an increase.
2. Put a budget on gift giving.
3. Shop the sales to stock the larder at lower prices then use it until the item is on sale again.

I guess this is 3 ideas, but they all work so well.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:07 AM

The one thing that has saved us the most money over the years is eating at home. I was raised that way, we almost never went out to eat and when we did it was an occasion for sure, even if it was a trip to the local café. But as a young single mom I got into a bad habit of fast food and eating out, and after a few years it got to where I didn't even keep groceries in the house because bread would go bad, milk would sour. Gradually though, that has reversed. Now days we eat nearly all our meals at home and I have 3 to 4 months supply of food stock piled - aiming for at least a years stash.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:58 AM

I think the thing that saves me the most is my willingness to "dumpster dive", in a sense, as I'm not beyond checking out things that have been set out beside the dumpster in the trailer park I live in. I've found many useful items especially clothing that will fit my granddaughters and even some I can wear, my daughter has a nice second-hand washer and everything is washed before anyone wears it. For example, I recently found several party style dresses, most of which will fit my nine year old granddaughter, and the majority of them still had the price tags from a nearby thrift store attached to them. Recently the people in the trailer next to me moved out and left most of their furniture, although I asked I didn't get the tile topped table but I was given three nice wooden dining room chairs. They may not match the other four I have but they are useable. When I got three of my previous chairs they came with a table so I can't really complain about not getting the one from next door. I had previously brought in a wooden chair, a glider rocker, an office chair, and a hutch to go on the back of a desk. When the tenant in another nearby trailer moved out I got a nice loveseat and end table as well as some kitchen wear and some canned food items. Since one of my cats just knocked off my small slow cooker and broke the insert I'll put out the word to the men who clean the trailers in the hopes they'll find one I can get. I'll also let them know that I'll be happy to take any canned and unopened packaged food that they might not want. I'm also going to ask for any bedding, especially blankets, as I can always use things like that since I can make curtains out of sheets and tack blankets over my windows in cold weather. I'll also take any kitchenware, dishes, utensils, and the like, if it's something my daughter and I don't want or need I can donate it so it doesn't wind up in the landfill. I'm considering asking if I can go through the trailers first because the men just bag up the things that are left and toss the bags in the dumpster.

As I was making a quick trip back to my trailer this morning to get my computer the lady I used to live next to came out and gave me a bag stuffed with clothes. I kept most of it but there were two blouses in it that should fit my daughter and two pair of sleep shorts for her girls. I kept three night shirts, a couple of blouses, two swim suits, and a few other things that I'm not sure the granddaughters can wear. What we don't use I'll take to the donation boxes at my church.

Last edited by MYellowRose; 11-25-2014 at 03:04 AM.