BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 07-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Default Red oak bow

My first successful shot at bow building....Im not sure where the draw weight is, Im pretty low tech in that area using a big fish scale it came to a little over 50 pounds at 29 inches, but that is strung with paracord just to test. I need to order a string for it as I cant make those yet. Has a good feel to it though, pulls to full draw with no creaks or issues or anything...pretty pysched, and cant wait to shoot it!

heres the link to some pics

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/ej...ed%20oak%20bow
Old 07-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Very nice indeed.
I love red or golden oak.

Will you stain it or leave it natural.

You do very nice work---when can I have it?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 PM

Thank you its already been backed and poly'd so its done finishwise
Of all the crappy little projects I do I think selling bows would be the most lucrative. My final cost on this was less than 15 bucks. Id never do it though unless I refined it enough to know it was safe. Thats a ways off. That goes for giving one away as well. . When I go pro you can have serial number 001.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:47 PM

I have a cool project I made fromthe scraps off the bow Ill post later
If you poked around my photobucket you might have got a preview.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejnovinsky View Post
Thank you its already been backed and poly'd so its done finishwise
Of all the crappy little projects I do I think selling bows would be the most lucrative. My final cost on this was less than 15 bucks. Id never do it though unless I refined it enough to know it was safe. Thats a ways off. That goes for giving one away as well. . When I go pro you can have serial number 001.
With the state of things--and maybe the day coming when we run out of (ammo) you may indeed have a very fine product to sell.

My brother in Alabama bow hunts---folks pay him to get their deer/hogs.
Of course he's 6'2" and 290 he can pull alot more than most.

annie making note to self:: 001 is mine.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 PM

So true, there may be a market huh? It would be my dream to be able to get good enough at making bits of junk like this that I could sell the primitive knives, bows, etc I make, and eek out a living at it. Im pretty happy tinkering away in my little workshop. hehe Im sure there are real bow builders on this site cringing at this thread.....
Old 07-31-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejnovinsky View Post
So true, there may be a market huh? It would be my dream to be able to get good enough at making bits of junk like this that I could sell the primitive knives, bows, etc I make, and eek out a living at it. Im pretty happy tinkering away in my little workshop. hehe Im sure there are real bow builders on this site cringing at this thread.....
Never down play your talent-----right now I need a good kitchen knife--have you seen the crap in Wm?

I would keep perfecting your crafts--folks are gonna good/functional items.

You may just stumble into a decent job making things.

MY talents are so limited but I certainly respect and admire others who have a talent.

What would you charge for say a 6inch kitchen knife---my hands dont hand my big(long)knives anymore?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 AM

Ive made quite a few kitchen knives from old saw blades, they arent forged, just shaped, and sharpened. They can have alot of flex depending on the shape, and size sort of akin to the flex in a fillet knife. (I prefer the old timey narrow blade with the rounded nose design myself.) Now if youre thinking more of a chefs knife design that would be better off forged which is a ton more work obviously. If you just need a small utility style knife the saw blade one is better, and much easier (read cheaper) to make. Show me a pic of a design you like, who knows I might be able to whip you up something. It wont be fancy, but it will be good old high carbon steel. It will rust however if you dont dry it after use, or washing. primtive scrap knifebuilders usually dont work in stainless
Old 11-30-2014, 10:56 PM

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to tell you that I really like the looks of your bow. How did it hold up?

Also, I am curious about the saw blades you use for knives. Are they bandsaw blades, circular saw or handsaws?

Thanks