BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Communications/Computers/Software

Communications/Computers/Software Ask questions and offer help on anything to do with electronic communication, computing, or related areas.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Default Amateur Radio Class

I'll be teaching an Amateur Radio class to help interested people get their "Technician" (first level) license. Class will be in Neosho, MO (southwest corner of Missouri). If anyone is interested, or would like more info on what it takes to get a license, please email me, dboyt@netins.net.

Also, there was talk on another thread of a 20 meter net. I'm interested! 73, KD0KHJ.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post_Oakie View Post
there was talk on another thread of a 20 meter net. I'm interested! 73, KD0KHJ.
Me too. Currently working on General Class license book...already have Technician.
KI4IGQ
//BT//
Old 03-22-2014, 12:25 PM

If you weren't 13 hours away, I'd come!

Going to start going to the local club meetings and preparing for their next exam so I can start playing in the 2m and 70cm bands. Having seen some of the public safety networks in my area, I see a huge potential for a profitable career change, especially in a SHTF scenerio.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 AM

Good luck with your class!

One thing for the rest to keep in mind is that 2 meter and 440 are not very useful in a SHTF situation. Both depend on the Ham repeater systems. While those have battery backups, those batteries will only last a few hours, then you are back to the limits of walkie talkies on simplex (line of sight range). CB would be better and even if you persue Ham, you need to secure CB equipment first!

If you look around you can find old 23 channel cbs on the cheap. Look a bit closer and you can pickup single sideband units! SSB works just like Ham radio and even a 23 channel CB would give you 46 channels of SSB. There lots of articles on the web on how to build an adequate but cheap and useful antenna. You can even go to Ebay and search Ham or CB "cantenna" to build base antennas from coke and beer cans.

Now in a SHTF situation, what you need is HF bands communication. These can be expensive radios! There are however QRP or low power radios that are affordable, but you will have to learn morse code to use them. These can reach around the world on less than 5 watts of battery power. A 12 volt car battery and a small solar battery charger would keep you up with conditions everywhere after you learn code.

It is better to light one candle than curse the darkness and it is better to have one QRP radio and know what is going on around you than sit there in fear wondering.

Get the license and start practicing now! It ain't no step for a stepper

73 Mitch AE4YW
Old 04-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Master Pontificator

I agree with Mitch. I also learned recently that there are a lot of radios being "discarded" because they could not be 'narrow banded". They can however, be reprogrammed to the GMRS bands and there are at least 8 channels that could be used. I bought two of them. (most folks were just smashing them and throwing them away but I paid to have two of them "reprogrammed". They are now compatible with that hand held walkie-talkies you can buy over the counter. They of course appear to be 25 watt transmitters so they will travel quite a way.
Has anyone else come across this?
KI4IGQ
//BT//
Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Good luck with your class!

One thing for the rest to keep in mind is that 2 meter and 440 are not very useful in a SHTF situation. Both depend on the Ham repeater systems. While those have battery backups, those batteries will only last a few hours, then you are back to the limits of walkie talkies on simplex (line of sight range). CB would be better and even if you persue Ham, you need to secure CB equipment first!
---------------
Now in a SHTF situation, what you need is HF bands communication. These can be expensive radios! There are however QRP or low power radios that are affordable, but you will have to learn morse code to use them. These can reach around the world on less than 5 watts of battery power. A 12 volt car battery and a small solar battery charger would keep you up with conditions everywhere after you learn code.
73 Mitch AE4YW
Good thought about the CBs. I picked up a couple a while back so that I could set up a base with mobile, or two mobiles. I didn't get SSB models but I'll put them on the list.

RE: HF -- when we do disaster drills (I'm in the Texas State Guard) our commo group sets up an HF system with the long antenna wire etc. Personally, I don't see me learning -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . There are only so many things a person can manage.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:45 PM

Default Ham License classes

For those of you who might be intimidated by the idea of delving into the magical world of ohms, watts and departure angles, let me offer this opinion based upon my own experience. I purchased, one by one, all of the license manuals offered by the ARRL. Didn't have time for travel to and from classes and no time away from chores to study. I devoted about 1/2 hour each night to study, lying in bed in the time between my shower and falling asleep. After I felt that I had mastered a chapter, I went to EHAM on the internet and took the practice exams they have there. If I passed, I went on to the next chapter.
If I didn't pass, I repeated those areas which I failed and took the test again. To make a long story short, I passed the Extra class exam exactly 9 months from the time I started study for my Technician license. If I can do it, you can do it.
Don't be put off by the prices on new equipment. I picked up a used ICOM IC-718 transceiver, power supply, MFJ antenna tuner and a commercial dipole antenna for just shy of $1,000. That wouldn't be a down payment for a lot of the current crop of high end equipment.
Be patient, be persistent and you will find yourself a member of the fraternity in no time.
73's
AK4LE