BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser


Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy > Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal

Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal And other types of alternative energy

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2015, 11:37 PM
klamath klamath is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 180
Default Building, a microhydro from near the ground up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wnoa5oEvXs
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2015, 01:43 PM
doc doc is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
Posts: 1,524
Default

Whoda thunk it was so simple? I think I'll take Thursday afternoon off and make one for myself.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2015, 02:13 PM
klamath klamath is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Whoda thunk it was so simple? I think I'll take Thursday afternoon off and make one for myself.
Interesting feedback. Makes it appear simple?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2015, 02:53 PM
doc doc is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
Posts: 1,524
Default

Sarcasm.

The guy went to an awful lot of trouble and required some pretty sophisticated machinery, skills and time most of us wouldn't have. I'm wondering why he didn't just take it one step further and start by mining and smelting his own ore?

While I'm impressed with the project, it's one of those things where you have to ask "just because it can be done, should it be done?"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2015, 03:28 PM
klamath klamath is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Sarcasm.

The guy went to an awful lot of trouble and required some pretty sophisticated machinery, skills and time most of us wouldn't have. I'm wondering why he didn't just take it one step further and start by mining and smelting his own ore?

While I'm impressed with the project, it's one of those things where you have to ask "just because it can be done, should it be done?"
Quick answer, money and the wish for electric power.

The system cost about 25 grand.
"sophisticated machinery=3 grand.
vs.
Commercial unit built to these specs 60 to 120 grand.
Extending the grid= millions.
Thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2015, 12:00 AM
doc doc is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
Posts: 1,524
Default

Is this your project, Klamath? If so,let me apologize for my approach. Had I known this, I would first have congratulated you on your fabrication skill-- quite impressive. I was snide because I expected to see what one usually sees in on-line homesteading projects: "How to Build a Nuclear Reactor from Bottle Caps & Krazy Glue in your Spare Time" sort of thing. Yours is a project most of us couldn't begin to duplicate.

Last edited by doc; 01-11-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2015, 10:47 AM
klamath klamath is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Is this your project, Klamath? If so,let me apologize for my approach. Had I known this, I would first have congratulated you on your fabrication skill-- quite impressive. I was snide because I expected to see what one usually sees in on-line homesteading projects: "How to Build a Nuclear Reactor from Bottle Caps & Krazy Glue in your Spare Time" sort of thing. Yours is a project most of us couldn't begin to duplicate.
I intentionally posted it as vague so I could get honest feedback. Mis-titling videos is a big problem and I want to get it right. The target audience is those with mid-level mechanical and fabricating abilities. It is mainly to show the concept is possible. Any one of the various steps can be jobbed out.
Some of the earlier generations of microhydro systems that we made were done with very primitive equipment. Unfortunately I don't have any photo documentation of those projects. It was done by building everything - from making our own green sand for sand casting to shaping pvc pipe with hot bear oil. None of the machine shop tools back then. Lack of money is the mother of invention.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2015, 01:36 PM
doc doc is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
Posts: 1,524
Default

Lack of money certainly is a mother.

The video is pretty slick: a lot of info in a concise format without too many details or wasting time.

What's the output of this system? And is it more efficient to build a simpler system, even if the output is not as great?

A solar system that gives you around 1000kW-hr. month would cost ~ $25,000-- and is, relatively speaking, "plug & play" compared to all the work you did here. Why didn't you go that route?

Oh, and...how do you get oil from a hot bear?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -2. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.