BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Default Ruger LC9 striker fired

Does anyone know anything about the new Ruger LC9 striker fired pistol? I have one of the DAO models, and was wondering why Ruger did this. Maybe to get rid of the safety?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Master Pontificator

Probably to get rid of the heavy, long-throw DAO trigger; and getting rid of the safety is, also, a great idea! I know I don't need no stink 'in safety on an EDC pistol; how about you?
Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

[QUOTE=Stinger;404350]Probably to get rid of the heavy, long-throw DAO trigger; [QUOTE]

Looks like you pretty much nailed it. Not a fan of those long-throw triggers, but live with it on my field pistol (different make\model)

http://www.usacarry.com/review-2014-...-carry-pistol/

"While hammer-fired and striker-fired handgun designs each have pros and cons, some shooters complain about the long trigger press, the length of the trigger stroke, the hammer, and the reset of the LC9. The new for 2014 LC9s by Ruger claims to greatly improve the trigger, the design, and there is much talk about it. The claim is that the LC9sí striker design (no hammer like the LC9) allows for a shorter, crisp, lighter, and consistent trigger press with much less resistance for every shot. "
Old 01-13-2015, 02:20 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Striker fired guns also generally have fewer parts, so they are cheaper to build, and there is less maintenance since the frames are more enclosed