BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
Timberland Chocorda Medium hiking boot, wear out 1 pair a year, most cheap boots i would wear out in a month. my main means of transportation.

A regular at a bar I used to go to drove a really beat up WWII vintage jeep. His bumper sticker read "My other car is a pair of hiking boots."
Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
2002 GMC Sierra---bought her new--now if i was to come into some money--I'd buy a Suburu 4x4--tough truck or a Nissan 4x4.

But for now my little truck and her 165,000 miles are just fine.
suburus are popular up here but i have to say that the nissan that we had was the best 4x4 i ever owned,our dodge nitro is also excellant in the snow . i own a 6x6 also and its not that good, i use chains when plowing
Old 01-11-2015, 09:17 PM

1985 CUCV 4x4 (diesel), 1997 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 1979 MGB
Old 01-11-2015, 09:33 PM

i see a few cucv here , great trucks, i wish i kept mine .a lot to say for old military trucks
Old 01-11-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m37 View Post
i see a few cucv here , great trucks, i wish i kept mine .a lot to say for old military trucks
I would love a M37 they were a great truck to drive. When we got rid of them in the Seabees the DRMO lot in Rota Spain was full of them and I could do nothing but look at them sit.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:26 AM

sad to see them just sit there, a few escaped back to the states tho. they are fun to drive ,alot more comfortable then the civy pw and the wc,going out this week and look at another pw, this guy has a wc and a few m37 s
Old 01-12-2015, 09:33 PM

The M37 is cool looking and is a piece of history, but the CUCV has the awesome components in stock form. They come with one ton axles front and rear with 4.56 to 1 gears and a Detroit locker in the rear axle. They have a V8 diesel, which is underpowered, but simple, reliable and gets good fuel economy. They come with a 24 volt starting and charging system. Mine will start in below freezing temps without being plugged in. I bought mine sight unseen in northern Utah (Hill AFB), and drove it home almost 750 miles that night without so much as a hiccup. Not bad for a 30 year old truck.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 PM

i bought mine from a guy in floridia, drove her home with out an issue also, i belive i never had a starting issue also even 0 and below.i noticed the prices are climbing on ex military trucks,so i think i will be getting another cucv before they are impossible to get, i saw the duece and half and 5 tons prices are up there now, not sure if possible to buy now from gov liquidation i bought mine years ago when prices were low although the m 37 is a piece of history i still like the civy pw better
Old 01-13-2015, 07:28 PM

Lot down in the n. austin area has a lot of military vehicles. Let me see if I can find a link to it.

here is the link: http://militarytrucks.com/

JVC

Last edited by jvcstone; 01-14-2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: addlink