BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Communications/Computers/Software

Communications/Computers/Software Ask questions and offer help on anything to do with electronic communication, computing, or related areas.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:06 PM

I am probably going to buy a new desktop model at Walmart or Staples locally. I saw a HP one that looked interesting. The computer I just had fixed, that I am using now, hiccuped after a few days after I got it back home and told me it could not find the drive 1. Sigh. So after I got the tech on the phone, he told me to shut it off and turn it back on. That worked. I have not shut if off. I know if I turn it off again, it probably will be the end of the hard drive. I think I have saved everything I needed to. Tomorrow monday is errand day and I hope to bring a new computer home. I have done online searches for what is available.

I am still thinking about a different cell phone, that will have internet capability. Probably push that off for a few months yet. Still researching that. Leaning toward straight talk. Will be keeping the tracfone though. I need a plain jane phone on me, when I am taking care of my animal chores. I sure don't need a fancy one falling out of my pocket.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Master Pontificator

if an XP computer will fit your needs you may want to check your local craigslist or any local facebook trade pages to see if anyone is selling an XP, vista, or windows 7 computer, you could probably get a working one for $50 or less.

Walmart computers do frequently end up in repair shops, far more often than computers from other places. they may have cheaper parts in them, and lower specs, but more often computer illiterate people are likely to get their computers from Walmart, then break them and take them for repairs. some tech fends of mine hate walmart computers because people constantly ask fro them to be fixed.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:35 PM

If a XP or windows 7, would work for me, I have several of them here that work. Just slowly. I keep them as backups. I had to move up to a windows 8 or 8.1 because the XP systems are no longer supported for security, by Microsoft.

I sell online on ebay on and off, and I need a system that will work for that. I bit the bullet tuesday and bought a Acer computer at Walmart. A desktop. Not what I really wanted but it fit the budget (cash and carry). Now I am struggling to find a USB parallel cord to attach my HP printer up with to the front of the Acer. Locally they want big bucks, so I been searching on ebay for the right cord. I will need one with 25 pins and it needs to have a female end to fit the printer cord.
I have not hooked up the new computer yet. Maybe later today. If I can't find a cord, not sure what I will do. I don't want to replace the printer even though it has some age on it, because it is a dumb printer. It will accept expired ink cartridges that are still new in pkg and work. The newer printers are smart printers and will not work with expired ink. My computer is a HP desktop 960c. I don't like to replace items that are still working. I like older technology and they literally have to pry it out of my hands.

Yes I had been forwarned about Walmart computers and them needing fixes more often. I am between a rock and a hard place, because of our budget. I am the only one that uses the computer so hopefully all will go well for the most part.

PS, The user id I use on this site, is NOT my ebay user id.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

[QUOTE=CrossRoads;404630]
" Now I am struggling to find a USB parallel cord to attach my HP printer up with to the front of the Acer. Locally they want big bucks, so I been searching on ebay for the right cord. I will need one with 25 pins and it needs to have a female end to fit the printer cord. "

I have one of those...... Let me check...
Old 01-15-2015, 05:44 PM

Even if you find a cord for your printer there is a chance that it won't work with Win8 anyway.

When I went from XP to Win7 some of my older peripherals had to be replaced.

You can easily check - go to the web page for the printer manufacturer and look up your model and see if you can download the drivers for Win8.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:46 PM

I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/DB9M-Serial-DB...+parallel+cord

I have two versions. One is made by Cables Unlimited.

Here you go.... Highly rated FREE shipping and only 3 bucks ! http://www.amazon.com/IEEE-1284-Para...parallel+cable

Last edited by DavidOH; 01-15-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:33 PM

Thanks

I been searching ebay and they have cheap ones too.
Staples wanted $ 25 locally.
I guess I need to check out Amazon also
( that one linked is coming from overseas, not sure how long the
shipping would take. I was hoping to find someone to buy from in
the USA )

I emailed 4 ebay sellers this morning, asking if their item would
work for my setup. I gave all the details they would need. So far,
I have not heard back from any of them. Guess they don't want
money too bad.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Thanks

I been searching ebay and they have cheap ones too.
Staples wanted $ 25 locally.
I guess I need to check out Amazon also
( that one linked is coming from overseas, not sure how long the
shipping would take. I was hoping to find someone to buy from in
the USA )
The first one for ~$7 is here. Shipped by Amazon
...but that's only free shipping with $35 in items.......
Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 PM

Well got brave today and hooked up the new computer. To heck with the instructions, I just put it together and turned it on. No monitor working. Sigh. Decided I better find a start button somewhere. Finally found it. So the computer came on, I did the setup and all went well. Not liking windows 8.1, a lot of new things to figure out. I dislike new technology but it is what it is. I better just get used to it and learn it.
Well then setting up the email. It took me in circles, etc. I finally bit the bullet and called the phone company where my DSL for my internet connection is, and got a tech to help me. She ended up sharing the computer with me remotely and the end result was she could not figure it out either. Told me to call Microsoft. Well the instructions say the code is supposed to be mailed to me. Well I got a code but the email set up, won't accept it. I am still mumbling. Shut computer off and went outside to do the chores. Came back in and turned the computer on. It wanted a password. NO....I did not give it a password. I skipped that part. Good thing I wrote everything down that I did, because I could not go any farther till I gave it what I thought might be the password and that worked. Really big sigh. Good thing I can go to my old email through the phone company web site and access it that way. I am frustrated to put it nicely. I do remember the last time, I set a computer up, it was the email then, that was a problem to get to work.
The parallel cord I decided to wait on a few days before ordering one. I left the old computer on my desk and all I have to do is to unhook the new one and hook up the old one and use the printer that way. May not be the perfect solution but it will work. Beats me pulling my hair out