BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-30-2015, 12:21 AM

Default New Starter

I haven't made a starter in a while, but OzarksLady's sourdough thread gave me the incentive to start one. I didn't want to hijack her thread, so I thought I'd start my own. I mixed the flour and water, no yeast, yesterday. By this afternoon it had already started to work. I fed it today, and It's bubbling away nicely tonight. I wasn't expecting results this fast since I didn't use any yeast, but It's looking and starting to smell good already. If things continue to go well, I'll be eating my first sourdough bread from this starter in a week or so. I can taste it now.

Bob

Last edited by Ithaca37; 01-30-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:46 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca37 View Post
I haven't made a starter in a while, but OzarksLady's sourdough thread gave me the incentive to start one. I didn't want to hijack her thread, so I thought I'd start my own. I mixed the flour and water, no yeast, yesterday. By this afternoon it had already started to work. I fed it today, and It's bubbling away nicely tonight. I wasn't expecting results this fast since I didn't use any yeast, but It's looking and starting to smell good already. If things continue to go well, I'll be eating my first sourdough bread from this starter in a week or so. I can taste it now.

Bob
Congratulations! Hopefully your starter continues to grow and flourish
Old 01-31-2015, 01:07 AM

Thank you rubyyarn. I've changed my mind ten times over what to make with it first. Bread, pancakes, biscuits? It's all so good.

Bob
Old 01-31-2015, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you rubyyarn. I've changed my mind ten times over what to make with it first. Bread, pancakes, biscuits? It's all so good.

Bob
All of the above, just let me know when it's ready.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Bob
Bob, most recipes I've seen call for a cup of starter. I've had good luck with Jackie Clay's recipe for sourdough bread in 'The Pantry Cookbook'.

My usual routine has been to keep the starter in the fridge and feed it a bit each week until I have about a pint of starter. Then I take some out and make bread with it.

Others here may have a more scientific routine
Old 02-01-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
All of the above, just let me know when it's ready.

I'm not stingy. If you're close enough to make the trip, you're more than welcome. I feel the same way about sourdough, good stuff.

Bob
Old 02-01-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyyarn View Post
Bob, most recipes I've seen call for a cup of starter. I've had good luck with Jackie Clay's recipe for sourdough bread in 'The Pantry Cookbook'.

My usual routine has been to keep the starter in the fridge and feed it a bit each week until I have about a pint of starter. Then I take some out and make bread with it.

Others here may have a more scientific routine
Thanks for the recipe and cookbook recommendation. I looked the book up, and It's does sound like a good one. I'm sure I'll be ordering one at some point.

I don't have a lot of experience with sourdough, and I've never kept a starter in the fridge. I always like to learn something new, so I think I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Bob
Old 02-03-2015, 02:00 PM

I keep my starter in the fridge so I only have to feed it once a week or so. People who bake every week or every day (!) keep the starter on the counter since they can use it up. Other people keep the starter on the counter and throw out half of it whenever they feed it. Seems wasteful to me.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:13 AM

Quote:

Bob

You don't ever have to worry about hi-jacking one of my thre..........Oh look, shinny!

Side trips can be the most fun.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Bob
===
EASY answer...... Make sure you have enough starter to make pancakes while the bread is rising and baking.....

Enjoy
Old 02-05-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyyarn View Post
I keep my starter in the fridge so I only have to feed it once a week or so. People who bake every week or every day (!) keep the starter on the counter since they can use it up. Other people keep the starter on the counter and throw out half of it whenever they feed it. Seems wasteful to me.
I've actually got mine out on the counter now. I'm going to use a bunch today, and I may put the rest in the refrigerator after my "sourdough frenzy" and see how that goes. Sounds like a good idea, thanks. I don't like to waste food, or anything else for that matter, either.

Bob
Old 02-05-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksLady View Post
You don't ever have to worry about hi-jacking one of my thre..........Oh look, shinny!

Side trips can be the most fun.
Thank you, I appreciate that. Just don't want to step on anybody's toes.

Bob
Old 02-05-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
===
EASY answer...... Make sure you have enough starter to make pancakes while the bread is rising and baking.....

Enjoy
Well, I took your advice. I have a loaf of bread and some biscuits rising, and we may have pancakes for dinner, I haven't decided yet. Maybe pancakes, venison and eggs, or venison, garden beans and biscuits???????? 'ya can't go wrong either way. Thanks.

Bob