BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default home made shoes & slippers

My employer finally let us have access to youtube - so I've been staying after work and learning stuff; mainly, how to make slippers, shoes and such.

My first effort was hand-felted slippers, that when I did the final shrink made them fit my sister. (Which is a size and a half smaller than me!) So know I know that wool shrinks a LOT. My next effort is going to be slippers made from a pattern I downloaded from Etsy and in a double layer of polar fleece. I've sent for some clear tool-dip for the soles; that'll be here by Friday, so I should have some photos to post next week. I read someone's review about tool dip as the sole for knitted slippers and she said it lasted more than two years!

One guy on youtube just painted his socks with the stuff! Instant shoes! (tacky, but if you're in a hurry . . . )

I also sent for some rubbery sole stuff that's more like a good shoe sole. Can't wait to make something good enough to try that out on.

Is anyone else here making shoes, slippers or moccasins?
By hand? By machine? What materials? Do they last?
Old 02-04-2015, 11:37 PM

These look easy to make.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:58 AM

I make a lot of (knitted) socks for hubby...

One pair of slippers I have waiting in the wings to work on are knitted (like socks) slippers with sew-on leather bottoms.

You could try the "dots" (rubber?) that are on "slippers" that they use at hospitals (for traction). Those help keep sock-slipper bottoms from wearing out.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:05 PM

I make moccasins, center seam and two piece. The two piece mocs are a little more involved but the sole can be a thicker leather or rawhide for rough/rocky ground.
Leather is expensive but they can also be made with lined canvas for use in the house.
If you need directions check: http://www.nativetech.org/clothing/m.../mocinstr.html
Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 PM

TickFarmer -
I like that pattern a LOT! Only I'm going to use doubled polar fleece and coat the sole with that tool dip stuff so they don't slip. The other thing I'm doing for the pair for the older folks in my family (me included) is to put a tab with velcro and skip the thong to tie it with.
My version is not authentic by a long shot, but if it's easy to make and keeps the tootsies warm - that's the point! :0)
Can't wait to try this one!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:19 PM

CarolAnn - A couple ideas to consider:
I can't remember the name, but I make my patterns (after making the paper one) out of that stuff you put in collars to keep them stiff. Cut out the pattern and then tape or staple it to make sure it fits, untape/unstaple and then use it to cut what you are using to make them from. I also write on the pattern who it is for in case I need to make more later.
If you double the sole be sure to sew or glue the layers together or they will slip; the nonskid layer sticks to the floor and the inner lining moves...
You may not need a velcro tab or thong - they are "slip on" shoes and the tightness/looseness is set by how far up the top you sew the seam. Most people sew them too far on their first pair and then can't get them on their feet until they rip the seam back out a bit.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post

These look easy to make.