BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on

Hands-on Hands-on/Repair topics that do not have a dedicated board, above.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default "Pioneer Tool" Review...

Pioneer tools.......
The term is used to describe a very wide variety of common and some related specialty hand tools....

Pioneer tool is a very broad term to include digging, building, and repair tools of all kinds... NOT usually used to describe power tools of any kind, as I understand it..

I thought I would start out with a couple of my favorites...
First one is an old tool that has been around one way or another since the mid 1800s or so I can only guess... But it is just as handy today as then... Every tractor on our place as I grew up had one of these in the tool box... I have carried one in my car/pickup every since I've had a drivers license... It is extremely useful.. I have used it in the house, along the road, field, boat ramp, you name it... Best advice I can give.... Spend the money on a name brand tool... The store brand Chinese tool may be OK in many uses, but the name brand US tool will be priceless...
Here is an example... https://www.channellock.com/specialt...=fencing-plier
===
Another tool I have that I got recently..... But has proved extremely useful in the short time I've had one... http://www.stanleytools.com/default....ty+Bar+-+15%22

This tool in combo with a fence tool, hammer, hatchet with a pounding side, or even a rock if need be, can make it very useful.... Again this is a name brand tool... As I haven't seen a store brand copy yet... The tool I have is the 15" model... I was lucky and found it as the last one in a big box story and substantially cheaper than other places.. And cheaper than the more popular slightly larger model...
===
Either or both tools may be too heavy or big to be a part of, say a bug out backpack... With a little thinking, either one or both these tools in a bug out stash, bug out/bug in location, or where they are available available to you could be pretty handy...

Have a favorite pioneer tool to review ??? List it here...
Good luck..
Old 02-12-2015, 07:25 PM

The first one I call fence pliers. I've had a pair for many years and used it for many things. I used it mostly for what the name implies - for working with barbed wire fence. Nothing beats it for that.

I've never seen the second one before - just watched a video about it to see what all it does. Good tool for demolition work.

Reminds me of a tool that I saw on the clearance rack at Tractor Supply this week - almost picked it up. But I don't do any carpentry or demolition work anymore so I don't know if I would ever use it.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...r?cm_vc=-10005

I have a variety of crow and pry bars that have come in very handy over the years - especially the cat's paw. I love hand tools but have a hard time using most of them now.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:23 PM

I've been told if there is sufficient, relevient response to this thread, it can/will be made a sticky... (hint-hint)

CT... The tool you showed the link to looks interesting... I would like to get one in my hands to look it over...

Out in the garage in the brutal cold, and looking over my stock of steel shapes, I have been brain storming a tool I hope is useful here on the rock pile... With the tread about the "garden creature" tool in mind, I'm thinking of making a 3 tooth, single long handle, shovel width version... I'm hoping it will be more useful, and robust in my war against rocks and roots here in my yard.. Thoughts ???

I hope there can be more reviews that qualify this thread for "sticky status".....

Good luck...
Old 02-15-2015, 12:40 PM

We have something like you are talking about. I found a pic that is similar:

Ours is very old - from my father's collection of garden tools. It's stout enough to pry rocks out and things like that.

I'm really into hand tools both for in the shop and outside digging work. I inherited a lot of these things from my father. I had little interest in them until a few years ago - not fixing them up.