BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 02-26-2015, 02:42 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Finally moving to our backwoods home

I accepted a job near our rural place today. Start in about 4 weeks.

Nearly overwhelming how much has to be done, but will take it a step at a time. Initially I'll be living alone in our camper. My wife will stay in Cleveland until I get a small house built - probably the rest of the year.

But we're excited about it - we didn't think it would happen until we retired.

Probably going to lean on this forum more than ever. It's been a tremendous help in getting us this far. Couldn't have done it without all the great and helpful people here and at BWH.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:43 PM

Congratulations! It's a huge step but will worth it - trust me. It takes a brave person to make such a move - you should be very proud of yourself although I know for a fact that it is a scary feeling at first. I'll never forget the day I walked into my manager's office (with a very good paying cushy job) and gave him my 2 weeks notice - I knew there was no turning back after that. I was kind of astounded by his response of "I envy you".

The difference from what I did to what you are doing is I made the move with no job prospects.

Going to be tough being separated from your wife but will be well worth it once you get everything lined up.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:46 PM

Thanks. I'd be lying if I said I had no trepidations about the whole thing.

I still have a lot to learn, much as I've tried to educate myself. Likely make some mistakes along the way. Hopefully I won't screw up too badly.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 PM

Congrats to you and best of luck. You will never regret it,
Old 02-26-2015, 05:59 PM

Good for you!
Yes, there will be a learning curve, but if you stop and think before doing, it will go smoothly.
I can tell you it will take longer, cost more and be more work than you planned or imagined it would be. In the end, it will be worth it, both to have completed it and to know that *you* did it.
Good luck. have fun and keep us posted!
Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 PM

Congrats!
I expect pictures and lots of them.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

WOW.. Fantastic! A big page to turn but you'll never regret it. The only thing I regret is not taking pictures in the early days. Those first 5 yrs. in a 20' camper was rough.. LOL..

Get yourself enough roof and you won't need a well at first. (Or, ever for that matter) Inside facilities isn't difficult and I can guide you through that too..

You're lucky. You have the internet for information. I didn't have that luxury for years after I took the plunge. It was tough for a city boy to figure all of this stuff out. Trial and Error were my best friends..

Try to keep things simple and basic and it won't be as hard as you think. Focus on the "Needs" first and the "Wants" can come later. Shelter, Water and Heat should be on top of the list. Once that is established, everything else will fall into place..

I'm kinda envious. Sometimes I wish I could start all over again. I know things would be a lot different than they are now but I'm too far along to make any drastic changes..

Build that dream! Not many have the opportunity that you have right now. You'll get frustrated when things get tough and ask yourself "What the @%*& am I doing?" but keep going. Once it becomes an everyday, normal thing, it's beautiful, believe me. The culture shock is well worth it..

Kudos, my friend. A whole new world is ahead..
*Robert Frost*
Old 02-27-2015, 04:08 PM

Crisser,
Congratulations! There will be a learning curve, but keep your sense of humor. Things you learn the hard way can make great stories later on in life!

I never did figure out how to get that bottle of celebration wine back out of the newly dug well, when I lowered it down to cool on a piece of clothes line back in 1979, and the neighbors laughed for several years about the greenhorns who built a shed from green pine. (It rotted and fell down after just a few years, so fortunately, they forgot about that one after a while.)

Oh, and if you like your eyebrows, don't check gas lines in the house with a match after you've unhooked the LP tank to see if all the gas has cleared.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:47 PM
Master Pontificator

Congratulations and best of luck! Please feel free to share your experiences here with us!

I hope to eventually do what you are doing now. Congrats, again!!!!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:23 PM

Thanks everyone.

We drove down today to get the ID number off the power pole so we can have service energized (pending the cost). Also staked out roughly where the house and my workshop will be.

Decided that the barn doesn't need commercial power - it's too far to run. We'll put in solar for lighting and fire up the generator on the odd occasion I need power tools out there. Plan on using the barn strictly for livestock eventually.

Power company should be down Thursday to evaluate the situation. Camper is 15' from their pole with a transformer, so if I can get that turned on without too much fuss, I'll be set for at least a few months.