BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-24-2015, 01:47 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Soap Bar "Chip" Processing

Over a lot of years, I have tried different ways to use up the last slivers of soap bars... Usual method has been to soak in water until mushy... Stir up well....

Then the problem has been trying to find a way to dry out the glob into a useful bar..... Needless to say nothing has worked.. This process has been done usually in a small plastic tub.. Like the size you would get chip dip in.. Or a plastic butter tub about 1 to 1 1/2" thick maximum...

I wrapped one tub in paper towels, and microwaved for 30 seconds at a time with an hour or more cooling time in between.... Boy did that NOT work....

Anyone have a reasonably fool proof way to do this ??
Or should I just give up and put the slivers in an old sock and tie it shut ??

Thanks...
Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM

Wyo, if you go to Ulta beauty supply , or maybe even Wally World, you can find a little mesh bag to put the soap slivers in. It's made for a whole bar but I put the small bars from our motel stays in it. I don't see why you couldn't make one with your mad sewing skilz. LOL Kinta the size the old tebacky bags old men use when they rolled their own. I'd say about 3"X4" pillow case shaped with a draw string. You can buy mesh fabric at any craft store I think. Cut 4-5 layers.

Edited to add: Go to Amazon and put "soap bags" into the search area. There area lot of choices, many you could make from old towels maybe.

Or go to Youtube and put in "What to do with soap scraps" ;-)

Last edited by OzarksLady; 02-24-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Edited to add more information
Old 02-24-2015, 03:54 PM

What I do is let the bar get somewhat thin, then get a new bar. If you use them both at the same time (works best while showering), they'll both get slightly soft.

Then I just press them together into one bar. Next day, they're pretty much fused. So there are never any slivers to deal with.

I don't know if that works with every bar soap, but it does with whatever it is my wife buys for me...

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 PM

I did a Google on this, and pretty much all the things I read ended in liquid soap type results... Not really what I was looking to end up with...

I've tried "welding" an old bar to a new bar, but it doesn't seem to work well with the brands I use...

Finely ended up taking part of an old towel, about 10-11" square, with one factory edge I used as the top, and sewed all around it to seal the edges... Then sewed it into a rectangle bag, stuffed all the chips in and tied it shut with an old shoe lace... With a loop to hang it in the shower...

Again not exactly how I thought this would work out, but useful none the less....
Useful...... I guess that is the more important outcome... Will have to work on my ability to adapt and make the best use of things as they are...

Take care...
Old 02-25-2015, 01:01 AM

I've seen knitted and crochet "soap bar/silvers" holder patterns...
Old 02-25-2015, 01:25 AM

Wyobuckaroo,

Check these soaps out:

http://www.dopeonaropesoap.net/
Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 AM

I use the drawstring, mesh bag method. Usually these get retired to the kitchen, laundry room or garden for very dirty clean-ups. I've learned to not leave the mesh bags outside, though. Contrary to what I first believed, they get eaten!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Wyobuckaroo,

Check these soaps out:

http://www.dopeonaropesoap.net/
====
Wow Man..... Dave's not here.... Don't Bogart that joint.....

Maui Wowie, Panama Red...... I remember hearing about that kind of thing 40 some years ago...

Wow Man..... Take a trip without leaving the shower....

Peace Man....
Old 02-25-2015, 08:06 PM

Slivers that I know won't melt down, I put in a half gallon plastic jug with a little water. Some day when I run out of soap and not much money to work with, I will tackle that jug. Seems so, it would work in a small margarine size tub near a sink to use as a soft hand soap. Or use a short small wide mouth canning jar. I have some 4 oz size ones that would work good.

The one soap I smile over is glycerin. I had some small bars in a good size box I picked up at a garage sale for $ 1. I think they were for a hotel/motel use. Anyways, I put 3 of them in a plastic container that had baby food in it originally. It is the size of a regular bar of soap. So many seconds in the microware and when melted take it out and let it cool and then then let it harden up. Then you can pop them out of the mold and I put mine in sandwich plastic baggies for storage. Head count was close to 50 bars. I remember figuring wow 2 cents for a bar of soap. When these soap bars, becomes a sliver, I save them up, and then make a new bar

Some other small bars I tried melting down, just would not work.
It all depends on what the soap was made out of.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:03 AM

Wyobuckaroo,

LOL
Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 PM

I make and sell and use soap saver bags. Knitted, you deposit the soap slivers, use the bag as a washcloth, rinse suds off after bath/shower and hang to dry. Add slivers as needed, rinse bag out well when empty.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:23 PM

Default Laundry

Since I make our laundry soap, I grate the slivers and use them in the laundry soap. When I run out of slivers, I revert to fels-naptha.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:44 PM

I learned to fuse the old bar to the new bar somewhere in BHM. You get both bars wet, then rub them together...hard. Allow to dry. They will now function as one bar.

We use Ivory, but when I had a sliver of homemade soap, I was able to attach it to the Ivory with no trouble
Old 03-07-2015, 02:07 AM

Rubyyarn,

Hubby tried that and the soap bar but the soap sliver wasn't adhering... We also didn't dry out the bar (I guess that would have helped!)

Thanks for the tip.