BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:03 PM

Default Best automotive how-to book yet

I found at a garage sale a complete set of instruction manuals for a Florida State Automotive Vocational course. 18 volumes, thet cover virtually all aspects of automotive diagnosis and repair. In most cases, repair rather than replacement. Written for the complete novice. it uses extensive text and copious illustrations to guide you through every repair you can imagine.
Example: The power steering pump in my '91 GMC Suburban started making noises like a love-struck moose. The garage wanted $280 to make the noise go away. The parts place wanted $100 and my old pump for a rebuilt one. Being long on time and short on money, I elected to try the repair myself even though I never done anything more to a power steering pump than top off the fluid. Taking a full day because I went slow and careful, I was able to remove, disassemble, repair, reassemble and reinstall the pump for the outrageous sum of 80 cents. Yup, the noise was caused by a low fluid condition which was in turn caused by a worn o-ring. The entire procedure was covered in simple, connect the dots fashion, by the suspension and steering unit of the course.
Moral of the story? These manuals render Haynes and Chilton manuals irrelevant. My set of books was issued by the State of Florida, but I'll bet that every state issues a similar set under their own label. Check with your local VoTech school. Chances are they will have used books for sale or can put you in contact with a former student who will be willing to part with his set.
Try it, you'll like it.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Master Pontificator

That sounds like a very GREAT idea yardburd!

I think I will check into your suggestion.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:25 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

It's sad how the field of mechanics has devolved into simply replacing components rather than repairing them.

I understand the reason - time is money and diagnosis and repair takes a lot of time. Having someone who specializes in rebuilding makes sense in terms of overall efficiency.

But we're losing something that I think we may need someday. I'm in my late 40s and sometimes I think I'm part of the last generation who has any sort of mechanical aptitude and a passion for machinery.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.