BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Oil changes

Here is a good read on oil Changes I thought some might make use of. Especial if you're old like me and feel like changing oil and filter every 3,000 miles no matter what.

http://ericpetersautos.com/2014/12/09/change-cars-oil/
Old 12-10-2014, 01:47 PM

Oil degenerate with time and becomes acidic and can etch the metal surfaces, so even without use, oil should be changed every 3 months or so to maximize engine life, if that's important to you.

As the article states, it's the poorly burned HC residues (soot) that contaminate oil and running dirty oil essentially "sandblasts" the inside of the engine, wearing it out.

It's been said that 99% of engine wear occurs on the first cold crank as you start it up and the oil pressure hasn't yet built up. Synthetic oils are a little better at coating surfaces and not draining off as "dinosaur oil," but better still is oil treatments like Z-Max, which is mostly food grade mineral oil. It's been shown to penetrate metal engine surfaces and stay in place the best.-- in fact, the FAA allows you to rebuild your helicopter engine every 10,000 hrs if you use Z-Max, rather than the 5000 hr requirement when using standard oil.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Some of the old V-8 engines did much better which out frequent oil changes,but my Vortec V6 requires the 3,000 mile oil changes.
It runs better and my gas mileage is much better.

At about $33.00 dollars its the cheapest maintaining I do----and i change fuel filter about every 3 months.

My Vortec V6 has always been fusses that way.
And I take it out for a good drive--blowing the gummies out of it--cleans the engine.

A hint:Check the tail pipe---mine is almost white(I have a 165,00 miles on her))---if it blackens--have it check out or change oil--I also only buy the best gas possible--mine runs on Chevron the best.

I check my fluid levels every week---I know folkss that dont lift the hood--amazing
Old 12-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Oil degenerate with time and becomes acidic and can etch the metal surfaces, so even without use, oil should be changed every 3 months or so to maximize engine life, if that's important to you.

As the article states, it's the poorly burned HC residues (soot) that contaminate oil and running dirty oil essentially "sandblasts" the inside of the engine, wearing it out.

It's been said that 99% of engine wear occurs on the first cold crank as you start it up and the oil pressure hasn't yet built up. Synthetic oils are a little better at coating surfaces and not draining off as "dinosaur oil," but better still is oil treatments like Z-Max, which is mostly food grade mineral oil. It's been shown to penetrate metal engine surfaces and stay in place the best.-- in fact, the FAA allows you to rebuild your helicopter engine every 10,000 hrs if you use Z-Max, rather than the 5000 hr requirement when using standard oil.
Doc--never heard of Z-Max--I guess I need to check that out.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:51 PM

Three out of my four Dodge products are old enough I can change oil myself... The pickup is a V6, the two cars are older 4 cyls that are easy to change... The 4th one is a pretty new 4 cyl with the CVT transmission... It run well and all, but is too much for the minimal experience owner to mess with...

I change oil close to every 5,000 miles... That is acceptable according to the owners manuals.. I recycle all my used motor oil as chain saw bar oil in a bunch of older saws... It works well...

One little money saving tip is to drain new oil containers... I set an empty new oil container over a funnel and let it "drip dry" of all the oil possible I can get out of the containers...

If you drain a 12 quart case of plastic bottles, you will recover about a half a quart of useful oil... You can see my wall hanging contraption to drain oil containers hanging on the cross bar of the saw horse....

I always have taken it as a personal challenge to get the most miles from a car, a tire, or a gallon of gas...
Take care...
===
Old 12-10-2014, 09:33 PM

Great setup Wyo.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:51 PM
Master Pontificator

I put high mileage on vehicles and changed to synthetic oil to reduce the frequency of that task, so I could get some other work accomplished. I always went by the owners manual, 6,000, 7,500, etc. as to the filter change, however.

I kept detailed records on many vehicle, because of work mileage and logged fuel-up's and corresponding mileage, as well as maintenance. I have never seen the slightest improvement in fuel mileage because of an oil changes or spark plugs either for that matter. If you can that is great. I have heard others say the same, but based on my experience it doesn't happen for this individual.

Not that I would recommend it, BUT..........food for thought.

We had a good friend, that grew up with dad, who worked in parts houses all his life. His philosophy was oil was made to sell and he never changed oil in a vehicle, or so he said. He did change the filter according to the owners manual, or there again so he said, and he did urge changing the filter. He said the filter and its removal of the sludge and slime was the heart of the oil/lubrication system in the engine. I believe he did what he said, and he got as many or more miles than anyone I have ever known out of a vehicle.