BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Communications/Computers/Software

Communications/Computers/Software Ask questions and offer help on anything to do with electronic communication, computing, or related areas.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Sling TV

I posted about this on the Dish going up thread, but thought I'd start a new thread on this subject.

With my Dish bill going up to $100 a month I was getting tired of paying so much and finding nothing to watch in 290 channels. That's when I read an article in my local paper about Sling TV, television that steams over your wireless internet service.

In my case I didn't want to give up satellite for the sports I like my football come fall and didn't want to give up ESPN. Well Sling TV took care of my problem. Their base package has over a dozen channels including ESPN, ESPN 2, TNT, TBS, HGTV, COOKING, Disney, Cartoon, along with others. AMC along with a couple associated channels will be coming on in a few weeks. All of this is only $20 a month, and no contract. They have some add on packages you can get for $5 a month. Even if I add the $5 sports channel package, I'll still be saving $75 a month.

Sling TV had a promo for people starting. You can order a 3 month package for $60 and they will give you a free Roku stick for your TV, which normally costs $50.

So today I ordered the 3 month package. The Roku stick will be here in 3 to 5 working days, but I could still watch TV on my laptop by downloading the app.

My satellite subscription did not come with HD while Sling TV says it streams in HD. I have to say I can see a big difference in picture quality. If it looks as good on my TV I will be very happy. When you change channels the picture seems a bit out of focus for 2 or 3 seconds, but I figure that is the stream catching up or aligning to what each station does.

As for internet speed I'm no expert. Yesterday I stopped by the office of my internet provider, which is my phone company. They said my speed was in the middle. I thought I'd upgraded at one time. They said my speed was 5, but I could upgrade to 10 if I needed it. My son the computer expert told me I shouldn't need to, and if things stay the same he should be right. Now I'm not sure how fast that is compared to others, but I do know once my son moved out of the big city and got on the same internet system I'm on he said it's not nearly as fast as he had.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:30 PM

Thought maybe I should post a link so you can see what I'm talking about

https://www.sling.com/

The Roku plugs into the HDMI slot on your TV so Sling TV will go straight to your TV so you don't need your computer.

https://www.roku.com/roku-tv
Old 02-19-2015, 12:18 AM

I would have to get high internet ( $100/mo here) and would get local channels I don't think. Tight ?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:31 AM

My internet at 5 Mbps is $45 a month currently. If I went to 10 Mbps it would be $12 more each month or $57 a month. So far I'm doing ok with 5 Mbps, but if I cancel my satellite and save $75 a month it wouldn't hurt too bad to upgrade for $12 if needed. I'll see over the next 3 months how it works. If things are good I'll keep it and cancel satellite.

As for local I get between 15 and 20 local channels over the air.

A Roku stick plugged into your TV will give you over 1,000 channels or radio and TV. Now most of these aren't worth a whole lot. There are quite a few on demand channels offering either free or low cost movies and shows. Roku also gives you access to Netflix, which is $8 for movies and other programming.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:48 AM

My internet service advertises that I am supposed to have 11 mbs. When I do a speed test from my computer I am getting very close to that. Of course over WiFi you will see a drop. When I do a test on my Roku itself I am getting between 5 and 7 mbs and it works very well streaming Netflix. Netlix says you need a minimum of 1.5 mbs and 5 mbs for HD. Netfilx offers HD streaming for an extra $1 per month. Here is a chart for Netflix which will also be the same for most streaming services:

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

Netflix (and I assume SlingTV) streaming is pretty smart. When you first connect to watch something it tests your connection speed. Then it adjusts the buffer accordingly so you will not get any skips or jump while watching. If it senses a slower speed it will give you a larger buffer in the beginning when you connect.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:26 PM

I watched a little of a basketball game last night on my laptop to see how it worked. I noticed every once in a while it would get just a little blurry. The writing that scrolls across the bottom of the screen was where you could tell it. Then after 4 or 5 seconds it cleared up again. This could be Sling TV, but I'm betting it's my internet connection instead.

I picked up a 6' HDMI cable today so I can plug the laptop into the TV in my living room. I'll see how things go that way while I'm waiting for the Roku stick.

I thought of a side benefit last night. Sometimes I'm out on the back deck grilling out and trying to keep up with a football game going on inside. Now I can just take my laptop out to the back deck with me while I'm grilling if there is a game on.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:28 PM

I think the Roku unit will do a better job at buffering than the laptop.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:01 PM

Yeah I was hoping that bypassing the laptop and going straight to the TV would be better.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:20 PM

After thinking more on this - even with my decent internet connection I will get stops sometimes while watching videos on my PC.

Your PC of laptop has lots of software that randomly accesses the internet to check for updates and stuff. If you are watching a streaming video and a program like Window Update gets on-line and starts downloading an update, that is like cutting your connection speed in half when that happens. The Roku unit is dedicated to just streaming video and will check for updates when you first turn it on. After that the connection is dedicated to just the stream
Old 02-20-2015, 07:02 PM

My son said the same thing. He said his worked much better just going through the Roku then the laptop.

So today I did a little experiment. I've been thinking of getting a new living room TV. The one I have is a 55", but it's one of the old projector type. My son said I could put that TV in my shop and freezing temps wouldn't hurt it the way they would the newer TVs.

With this in mind I took my laptop and went to the barn. From where the router is located in the house to the front of the barn is about 60', and the shop is on the back end of the barn which is 40' long. Now the barn is steel, so I left the front sliding doors open. I set my laptop on the tool chest in the shop and hit the Sling TV app. And in no time I was watching ESPN. If it works with my laptop I should have no problems with the Roku on the TV.

Actually this has opened up a whole new world of possibilities. I may have to let my son in law sit in my enclosed deer stand with me. His phone can be used as a hot spot. So with his phone as a hot spot and me with my laptop, we can sit in the deer stand on Saturday and watch college football.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
I would have to get high internet ( $100/mo here) and would get local channels I don't think. Tight ?
Not sure how far you are from the local stations but even when we were 60 miles from Indianapolis as a kid we got local channels free with an antenna. Today with digital signals an antenna will pick them up even clearer.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 PM

Well I got my Roku stick today. Plugged it into the TV and set up my account. Added Sling TV to my channels and in no time I had ESPN on my TV. I did not pay the extra with my DISH account for HD, so I now have a better picture on line through the Roku then I did with my satellite.

Added 5 or 6 outdoor channels, 2 of which I've been getting through DISH.

At this point I am very happy and it looks like I will be canceling my DISH account down the line.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:52 AM

Good to hear! I had predicted for some time that all TV would be coming over the internet sometime in the near future - looks like SlingTV is at the forefront of this and will be very successful. I can see them adding a lot more stations soon.

I think the cable and satellite companies are scrambling right now. Of course those in remote areas with no high speed internet service will still need satellite for TV and internet. It still surprises me that I have cable interent where I live......and glad of it!
Old 02-27-2015, 01:13 PM

Are you keeping Sling TV as well or just your ROKU. Isn't Sling TV, Dish TV just a version that does not require a SAT DISH but high speed internet connection?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:26 PM

Good to hear. I have been getting the offers, but have not looked into it.
The device has dropped in price and a free start up is tempting to try.

Let us know how you like it further down the road.
Available here is cable and DSL.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Are you keeping Sling TV as well or just your ROKU. Isn't Sling TV, Dish TV just a version that does not require a SAT DISH but high speed internet connection?
I will keep Sling, watching it through the Roku. My Sling bill should be about $75 a month less then my Dish satellite. I'll cancel the satellite Monday.

My daughter and son in law were here for supper the other night and I said I might pay the $8 a month for Netflix. She said hang on. They were paying an extra dollar so they could have two streams one for them and one for their daughter. She upgraded to 4 streams for another $2, and downloaded one for me. So now I have Netflix at no cost. Well I'll probably have to keep feeding them on Wed nights I suppose.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:24 PM

With the addition of AMC a couple weeks ago, this came as good news today.

Quote:
Say goodbye to “there’s nothing to watch on TV,” because we will add four top-rated channels to the Sling TV core pack by the end of March! The new networks include A&E, HISTORY, H2 and Lifetime, giving Sling TV customers access to more than 20 channels for just $20 a month, plus content from Maker Studios, also included with the “Best of Live TV!”
Old 03-17-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
With the addition of AMC a couple weeks ago, this came as good news today.
Thanks for the heads up! Going to take a serious look at it now.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:50 PM

I kind of missed my History, H2, and A&E. Lifetime is not something I watched, but three out of four make me happy.