BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Squirrel in the chimney

A little red squirrel dropped into the chimney and the cold wood stove this morning. I have no idea how to get it out without risking releasing it into the house. It is jumping into the pipe, trying to return whence it came, but it can't get a grip on anything in the pipe, and the pipe is vertical for 20 feet. Poor thing! I guess one less squirrel to cause havoc in the food stores.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:23 PM

If you really don't want to kill it, you might be able to drop a rope (as big a diameter as possible) down the chimney for it to climb.

Barring that, you're stuck with improvising a way to open the door and funnel it into something like a box or pillowcase, unless you have a Shop-Vac
Old 03-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
A little red squirrel dropped into the chimney and the cold wood stove this morning. I have no idea how to get it out without risking releasing it into the house. It is jumping into the pipe, trying to return whence it came, but it can't get a grip on anything in the pipe, and the pipe is vertical for 20 feet. Poor thing! I guess one less squirrel to cause havoc in the food stores.
harware cloth around the top would keep them from getting in, i used to have trouble with birds doing that in summer. my trick was to open the door to the stove with a cloth bag made from a sheet duct taped over the opening (or a fine fishing net). it sees a way out and makes a rush, tangle it up and let it outside. it will fight its way out of the net or sheet so you have to move it out fast, or use a sheet to create a funnel to direct it into a bucket with some peanut butter in the end, when it gets in that far tip it up and use the sheet as a cover to get it outside. or just let a cat sit by the door, let it into the room and then the cat grabs it, take it from the cat to put it outside or put the cat with a full mouth outside. anyway those are the tricks i learned before i covered the opening
Old 03-19-2015, 02:14 AM

Thanks! We haven't had this happen before, so I did worry about prevention. The scratching has stopped and the dog was barking at the roof, so it may have found its way out somehow. I will check in the morning.