BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 PM
Master Pontificator

down to 33 degrees in the cabin this morning, slept in and was down to 33 before i got up to run the fire.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:03 PM

we live in snowy Massachusetts and we keep the thermostat at 68* when we are at home and drop down to 62* at night. Altho, I think I want to go back to doing 55* while we sleep...i sleep better when it's cold.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I am emplying a new method with my thermostat for this upcoming arctic air coming. This is the first year using automatic heat since using our wood stove for the last 10-12 years. Because of my condition I just can't be cold and comfortable at the same time. However I like it cooler when I am sleeping. So I've had the thermostat set for 71 during the day and 62 at night.

However, with the last couple cold snaps (lows well below zero overnight) the furnace runs constantly to go from 62 to 71 in the morning - 5 hours or more before it satisfies. So with this next cold wave starting tomorrow I am going to keep it at 71 until it is over (4 days or so). Will probably use less fuel in those extreme conditions by maintaining the heat instead of having it try to change the temp in the morning.

I would use the wood stove to augment the heat, but it is in the same room as the thermostat. Running the wood stove would not allow the furnace to come on at all.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:36 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have my electric baseboard heaters set at 68, but they only run if I get lazy and don't put wood in the stove.

I check the temp in my house with a thermometer that has floating glass balls in it. The more that float to the top the colder it is in the house.

My house is small, a single room school house I turned into a house, about 900 square feet. I added on a sun room that is a little over 300 square feet. Over time I've found if the temps are 30s or warmer and maybe teens at night my wood stove will keep everything warm. Warm enough I keep the bedroom door mostly closed until bed time so it doesn't get too warm.

This winter when it was -5 at night with -20 windchills it was 64 when I got up in the morning. The next night I closed the french doors to the sun room and when I got up the next morning it was still 70 in the house. If I fill my stove at about 10pm I still have coals at 7 the next morning.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Master Pontificator

Deep South here and staying cool in the summer is much more difficult than being warm in the cool snap referred to as winter.

We have an automatic set-back or adjustable thermostat, and it was adjusted for the season as shown:
Summer: 5:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. 68F*
7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 70F
5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. 68F
10:00 p.m. - 5:00 a.m. 70F

Winter: 5:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. 70F
7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 62F
5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. 68F
10:00 p.m. - 5:00 a.m. 62F

* The thermostat was designed to kick in early enough to have the increased temperature at 68F by 5:00 a.m., but the temperature only began the drop from 68F at 7:30 a.m., but it would not reach the 70F for another 30 minutes to an hour. The same was true of all other increases in temperatures and their corresponding drop in temperatures during the day or night.

During extremely hot or cold times we could adjust the thermostat up or down temporarily depending upon the outside temperatures manually which did not change the preset temperature settings.

During the winter we much preferred cooler temperatures and slept under a light bur very warm down blanket. We have a heavy down comforter, but rarely was it ever needed, unless we lost power, on a very cold night.

These were the temperature ranges while working, but they changed very little after retiring, until this past year. Now the temperature range is more on a day to day basis.

Mother & MIL are both living with us now and to keep them comfortable we have been largely miserable during both seasons. It seems 75F or above is more their comfort zone, and we do want them to be uncomfortable, but it definitely comes at a cost to our comfort.

Three bed rooms and a full bathroom are located on the North end of the residence then in the middle of the house is the living room, kitchen and dinning area. The South end contains the den, utility, master bed room (and its adjoining master bath room) and an office area just off the master bed room. I sure wish we had, had the foresight to have two separate central units installed. One for the three bedrooms, living room, kitchen and dinning area and a separate unit to control the den master bedroom, office and utility, but unfortunately we were not thinking that far ahead.

Such an arrangement would have let us enjoy some reduction in our energy costs too, once the children were grown and no longer living at home, by not cooling the North end to our comfort level in the summer time, which is our greatest expense.

Fortunately, for us, we can basically close off the master bedroom from the balance of the house and install a window A/C for our bedroom to help maintain a more comfortable temperature for us in the summer (we may have to also use it in the winter for our own comfort then as well), something we are discussing doing. We also purchased two down blankets, one each for mother and MIL to provide more warmth without weight on their beds, so we can adjust the thermostat down (lower temperatures) a little more at nights, so we will be reasonably comfortable (and we have not need our down blanket at all this winter).

We are still considering and discussing options, but the window A/C unit seems to be the least expensive and most reasonably option to control the temperature in our bedroom (and/or extend that same temperature to the master bathroom also) for our comfort zone by reducing the temperature there below what the rest of the house is being maintained at for the comfort of "the mothers" as the wife refers to them.

Having stated our former temperature range and given our preference, it would still be our temperature range it circumstances had not changed, but for the present and foreseeable future it looks like 75F will be pretty much the year round temperature for the main home. With a reduction to more like 68 in our bedroom if we can work that ability out.