BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:20 PM

Default Turkey hunting's new "what are you using"?

Seems to me, each and every year I read online and in magazines of the newest gadgets, gear and must try tools to kill a gobbler. There must be whole factions of people who can't hunt unless they have the latest camo, the best semi-auto 3.5 inch load swallowing super duper choke tube wearing turkey gun. Then its the new fangled mega turkey loads. I guess I'm a dying breed, as I refuse to get caught up in all that BS. I use a lowly single shot 12 gauge with turkey loads that would be considered lightweights by todays standards. I never use longer than 2 3/4 in shells, and don't go more than 1 1/2 oz loads. I'm getting close to even giving them up once I run out and will go back to high brass pheasant loads of 1 1/4 oz of #6 shot. I know plenty of old timer turkey hunters in my town who use the same gun/load they use for pheasants, and they come home with a turkey over their shoulders every year. I'm even considering a flintlock fowling piece. Why do people feel as though you can't kill a turkey unless you have the newest, most ridiculously priced gadget on the market?

Last edited by Nickathome; 03-25-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

The last loads I used for turkey were my hand loaded 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz of 6 shot. I'd actually just use the same load for everything, just changing shot size depending on the use. The last few years I've gone with archery. Love to hunt turkey, just don't love cleaning them. I can clean a deer faster then I can clean a turkey. I figure with archery I get in plenty of hunting time, but not as many shots so not as much cleaning.

Like you I'm not into all the new stuff that comes out each year. My turkey calls are the same ones I picked up at Wal Mart years ago. I did acquire some new turkey decoys last year. I bought 3 decoys for $25 from the guy that brings in the shopping carts at the grocery store where I shop. He and I talk hunting whenever we run in to each other outside the store.

Here turkey season starts tomorrow. Suppose to be in the 40s the next few days so I think I'll wait a while. By Sunday they are saying a stretch of 70s, which is my kind of weather for turkey hunting.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:24 PM

I've got a NIB 12 ga barrel for my BP rifle. I need to work up a load for it but I have all the fixins. The barrel is extra full choke and I hope to use #6 shot over FFg with lubed wonderwad and some cereal box cards over the powder and another card or two over the shot.

The best method I've heard of is to use tuna cans to workup your loads. If the gun puts a decent number of shot that penetrate the can you are good to go at that range. Should work for cartridge shotgun load development too.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post
The best method I've heard of is to use tuna cans to workup your loads. If the gun puts a decent number of shot that penetrate the can you are good to go at that range. Should work for cartridge shotgun load development too.
Hmm, have never heard of using tuna cans for a target, but it makes perfect sense. I've always been told that 3 to 5 solid hits on a turkey head target at a given range is good enough to drop them. You have guys today that talk about getting 100 pellets into a 10 inch circle, etc. These same guys are the ones shooting at turkeys beyond 40 and 50 yards. To me those guys are compensating for their lack of calling skills, with super tight chokes and overly extreme pattern densities. My enjoyment is watching the bird get fooled enough by my calling to move to within 30, even 25 yards before I pull the trigger. In those ranges any shotgun/load will work.

Last edited by Nickathome; 03-27-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
Hmm, have never heard of using tuna cans for a target, but it makes perfect sense. I've always been told that 3 to 5 solid hits on a turkey head target at a given range is good enough to drop them. You have guys today that talk about getting 100 pellets into a 10 inch circle, etc. These same guys are the ones shooting at turkeys beyond 40 to 50 yards. To me those guys are compensating for their lack of calling skills, with super tight chokes and overly extreme pattern densities. My enjoyment is watching the bird get fooled enough by my calling to move to within 30, even 25 yards before I pull the trigger. In those ranges any shotgun/load will work.
The tuna can method works.

Those shooting at 50 yds are not hunters and they cripple lots of game unduly.

P.S. a bow works to, but getting a draw on a turkey is hard. Then 15 yds is close, done that. Have also seen a Tom take an arrow and fly away, with the arrow, from a 65 lb bow that shot through deer. Low shot in the breast.