BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

What the ????

That sounds like the maneuver Barney Fife did on one episode where he tried to disarm Andy of his knife showing off his martial arts skills.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I agree with Mitch about women & self defense courses. And ever since the invention of gun powder, size, strength & fighting skills have diminished value.

However, as a holder of a black belt in the ancient oriental self defense discipline Ki-Chi-Ku, I can assure you that even a tiny female can hold even a big attacker at bay for hours by jamming the first two fingers of her right hand into the left armpit of the attacker and wiggling those fingers real fast while saying "ki-chi-ku! ki-chi-ku! ki-chi-ku!"....works every time...unless, of course, he's not ticklish.
Bahahahhahaha Doc--good one---should one ask? If the attacker is--ticklish?
Old 12-21-2014, 10:28 PM

LOL@Connie. Actually, the stilletto I was speaking of is a switch blade. Hard tempered long, thin razor sharp blade. You can use it to slash but was made for stabbing. I understand words cannot express the pain when the blade hits the bone. 4 inch is the legal limit in Tennessee. For years you could only use a spring assist blade. Now, full switch blades are legal (check your state law). I think that is because police usually carry them Put one in each coat pocket, pull them out and hit the buttons and you are Bangcock dangerous!

The rapier is a light, long, very long, thin blade, tempered steel sword with 2 razor sharp edges (they won't grab at it but once). It is light enough for any female to use. It is made for stabbing. Hands, arms, shoulders, legs or torso. Your average black belt cannot fight a rapier in trained hands! Well, he can for a few seconds until he learns better It takes a long time for all those holes to heal LOL!

The fighting dagger is held in the left hand while the rapier is held in the right. It is also razor sharp and is used to slash muscle groups, taking them apart as well as a stabbing weapon.

That shotgun only severs the body in twain or removes the head. It is much more civilized than a rapier and a dagger
Old 12-22-2014, 12:01 PM

I do not suppose there is a Krav Maga site near you?
I have tried Judo, and Karate. I think Krav Maga is much more practical, and realistic then other forms of martial arts.
None of the BS either.
Regardless of your choice, get training, and practice often.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Mitch,

The "can opener and kitchen sink" type switch blade gizmo probably won't work (I assume).

Years ago hubby gave me a "switch blade" (on a key chain) that's about 1" long (just enough to clean under my fingernails, LOL).

He said, "This is all you'll need, anyway".

I actually felt better when I was in ACE Hardware at check out and spotted a retractable box cutter tip on a key ring. (I figured I could put the key ring around my finger and hold the body of the cutter in the palm of my hand with my index finger on the top and thumb underneath, supporting).

Of course I figured I'd have to make it good on the first couple of swipes (like eyes?).

I checked out the Krav Maga. Haven't heard of it before but looks interesting. Will check out my area for it.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:51 PM

I have seen several women from 85 to 200#, anywhere from 18 to middle age that had considerable skills.... Both from martial arts, and Marine training... And one with skills from both...

Now... I have seen one get into a situation where her need at the moment and mind set intent was to draw blood.... And prevail in the given situation was what was required... She was more than capable of doing so at that time, and did a quick and efficient job as needed...

All.... All these women said the best tool or skill was to recognize when to let you feet do the work... NOT be in a place, situation you shouldn't..... Or not be by yourself, get help, get moving, be aware.... All the above....

Skills, tools take practice to be able to use efficiently and effectively...
Observation, and awareness are skills that need practice to perfect....

Good luck...
Old 12-29-2014, 10:53 AM

Gun with training/Jiu Jitsu/Krav Maga.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:55 PM

Pepper spray?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Master Pontificator

I believe the history of women and what they are taught are their biggest problems..... they are shown non stop how weak they are, how stupid (the dumb blondies on tv that talk baby talk is a good example), they show on TV...how they stand there in bad situations and they faint, or they scream, or they watch family get killed....this kind of thoughts are drilled into them when young until they die. They do not believe in their heads that they are capable as any man to fight effectively. I know of only a few women who can pack a punch that can knock out .....they are rare birds, but they were trained not to be afraid to get hurt, get dirty, to even try....to learn to fight because society says that they are to look beautiful, sexy, and even not too smart??
Women today are going to war, they need to know how to shoot a gun with extreme training, they need to know how to fight in hand to hand combat....we are a nation still at war. I like to know when a person sends their child to war and they taught them guns are a bad things and violence is a no,no....., that child gets killed ....what they think? It is insanity.... out law guns when we are still at war? what the heck is wrong with that people???....people gone mad without reality.
Women can fight, but she needs first to get rid of the training that says I can not do this. Pepper spray....never use it ....get wasp spray or bear spray and stay as far away from the person as you can aim for the eyes and soft tissue.
And know when your near enough to a man to tickle him under the arms your in death zone. Fighting someone off is a frame of mind....it is about staying calm, in control and creative planning, knowing it is not about strength, but major knowing what works and what does not.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:25 AM

HawaiiDi,

I've been seeing more and more attacks on people at subway stations.

(Don't know if you have those where you live).

One nut had a machete and was swinging it around on the platform at people.

Just the other day three people attacked one lone guy (this was a racial incident) and pummeled him with their fists (on his face/head). (I think this was in/around MO). NO ONE called the police, tried to help, etc.; in fact, they laughed.

I've managed to stay off the subway system here for years... do occasionally take a train to downtown (takes 20 minutes from my house).

People have been mostly okay on the trains and stations (you have to pay more to ride than city transportation).

Hubby is upset today because I said I wanted to carry some sort of weapon (after reading about the racial subway attack).

If someone is sitting and is surrounded by three thugs that start punching, what do you do?
Old 03-29-2015, 02:37 AM

Quote:
If someone is sitting and is surrounded by three thugs that start punching, what do you do?
Hopefully, you pull out your licensed handgun and proceed to show them the error of their ways.

Otherwise, there is little most women could do unless they are large and strong enough to fight

Any weapon other than a firearm requires strength, speed, and keeps you within arms reach
Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 AM
Master Pontificator

I can tell you, if your instincts say something is wrong ....you need to leave the area at once. Running away is number one rule of self defense. Most people think they are wrong about that funny feeling that something is wrong, or something is dangerous when they have no reason to think that....wrong....animals have instincts and run. People have instincts and do not use them. There is a book called the gift of fear, it talks in depth about this. If you have no training in weapons ...you can not carry them because it makes your situation worst then if you had them. I have a hard non breakable cane I use...it is heavy but it is more for self defense.

Three thugs are a bad thing to get surrounded by even by someone who is a great fighter.....it is a situation that should be avoided at all cost. Even with gun or knife your in a very bad situation. If it does happen ask them what they want...always they will tell you....and then you have to do it with out getting them mad or upset.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:39 AM

HawaiiDi,

One day I was coming in from work to my apartment building (this was in the middle '70s)...met up with one of my neighbors (on a different floor).

I got to the hallway of the building and saw this guy standing in front of the mailboxes...didn't recognize him. He seemed friendly, nice, well-dressed (sort of too much which struck me). I told the neighbor I wonder who he is...she convinced me go get on the elevator with her (she lived on the third floor - I was on the fifth).

Yup, he got on (still friendly) but I wanted to get off; he blocked the door (had a gate you would pull to the side and open). He then started in on her, to "turn around". She thought he was joking...and she had a jacket with a design on the back of it. After he repeated what he said, I told her it wasn't about her jacket. I think it dawned on her.

Basically he was looking for money. He had us face the back of the elevator wall with our hands against it. (My purse and a bag of groceries were on the floor of the elevator). I had loose change $ in the grocery bag and in the lining of my purse (don't ask, .

Then he says, "Hit the top floor (elevator button) without turning around."
I'm in sort of another dimension with this stuff going on; I then though, how the H*ll are we supposed to hit the button without taking our hands off the wall and reaching over? I finally had to tell him it was physically impossible (unless you count a leg but my legs aren't long enough and even back then I wasn't that limber).

I felt something against my back (like around my shoulder blades). He said he had a gun. I never saw him with a gun...but I thought perhaps he still had one. I guess he decided to pitch the idea of hitting the top floor button because he then told us to turn around and asked for our money. His hand didn't leave his jacket (not sure if a gun was there). He opened the elevator door, told one of us to hit the top floor button and "don't turn around" (geesh!) Anyway, my neighbor gingerly reached over and hit the button.

It was all very surreal.

Oh, he took my purse, even after he looked into it and said I didn't have any money in it. Which p*ssed me off. After filing a police report, neighbor and I and a couple of other friends helped me for a four-block radius looking for my purse in the bushes, gangways, dumpsters that night and the next day. Never did find it.

That's the last time I listened to someone trying to convince me that things were "okay". (My hubby is like that).

Last edited by connie189; 03-30-2015 at 01:40 AM. Reason: adding