BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Txanne,

Your story made my day! I used to feel all alone with MIL's behavior for a long time. Good to know I wasn't totally nuts about what I was seeing.

Mine has a "got it coming" attitude - matriarch type stuff. She expects your schedule to revolve around hers. And, roses on her birthday. From everyone. My BIL (deceased) used to send her a bouquet. Also, she had a list of (expensive) "gifts" she wanted - one year it was a console TV. Bigger the better. Her apartment is so small, you have to climb over the TV to get in.

She never calls our house. Because I'm here. When hubby worked, she called him there at least once a week. His retirement put a plug on that.

It got better when I demanded some respect and spoke up. We once went to visit and she said that I didn't know how to cook. REALLY? She never ate my cooking or was ever at our house.

One day (and that was once) she called our house and left a message for hubby. I told him about it. He went about his business. So she called again, telling him that I didn't give him the message. That did it. I told hubby to straighten her out. So he shot off a letter to her. She read it to just about everyone she gossips with/about except with him. However, she adjusted her attitude with me after that.

If you want to hear real cheap, she cooks her Thanksgiving turkey the year before and freezes it. Thaws it out for the next Thanksgiving. Then makes a new one and freezes for the next year. Weird.

Glad I had a step-MIL that was really nice, but unfortunately out-of-state.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
Did your MIL live through the Great Depression? Or have a family member(s) that did? Or other life experiences that affect her behavior? My grandmother wasn't a serial returner but she could never control her spending. Nor her constant stockpiling of food, be it canned or purchased. Wasn't hard to figure out the events in her life that caused her behavior.
I understand the need to acquire and how a food stockpile = security for some but there is no justification for cheating and stealing...which is what these chronic 'returners' are really doing.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
My prepping embarrasses my dd who constantly ridicules. I wonder where "shop everyday" will go when the shtf?

I hope my frugal ways aren't an embarrassment. I seldom return anything and my thrift store clothing is actually better quality than I could afford retail. I wash and reuse plastic bags but not paper towels. Well, actually, I seldom use paper towels -- I use rags to clean up messes and either wash and reuse or throw away depending on how bad the mess is!

What dd doesn't comprehend is we are retired on fixed income. While we have savings, there is no replacing those savings so we strive to live on our fixed income and keep savings intact. Heaven knows none of my kids could afford to help us should we be down and out broke.

Years ago I read the Tightwad Gazette books and adjusted my attitude. I find it challenging and fun to be frugal. I try to be frugal not cheap, but I imagine I sometimes cross that line.
yanno, i don't CARE if i am embarrassing to my kids/family/friends with my frugality. Until somebody offers to start paying all of my bills, I'm going to steward my money the best I can. I hope my kids catch my frugal flu and start saving their pennies instead of throwing them down the drain.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:03 PM

I took my Grandmother grocery shopping.
She had a list and only bought the things on the list.
Left the first store and she said now I need to go to another store.
I figured they carried something the first one didn't.
Wrong, green beans were 3 cents a can cheaper at the second store.
She bought 3 cans.
She wasn't one that took advantage of someone or some place but she would squeeze a nickel till it screamed.
When they butchered a hog they used everything but the squeal.
I drive by their house every day and I think about them. I miss them.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:43 PM

Default Favorite story

When my daughter was a baby (30 years ago) I often shopped at a salvage grocery. It was in an old cotton warehouse along railroad tracks, with uneven wooden floors and huge doors that rolled aside for loading the train cars. The tables were plywood with 2x4s with canned goods dumped in.
We were so poor that I was digging in a table trying to save 3 cents on a can of tuna or something and looked up to see my baby, in the cart, rolling down that rippling floor toward the doors, sure to drop head first onto the rail tracks.
Her tongue was out and she was laughing her head off.
That is still the kids' favorite story. Funny how THEY look at frugal.
(Needless to say, I caught the cart before she lifted off)
Old 02-15-2015, 12:41 AM

crackergirl,

That was a great story!
Old 02-15-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsdesire View Post
I understand the need to acquire and how a food stockpile = security for some but there is no justification for cheating and stealing...which is what these chronic 'returners' are really doing.
Never justified the behavior - understanding the cause of the behavior (if you can) makes dealing with the behavior a bit easier.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Master Pontificator

Not a relative, but a couple of personal experiences from the wife's past work at a shoe store.

The wife worked at a shoe store many years ago, and there were a number of people who purchased kids shoes and returned them in short order with the left shoes sole completely worn out. She said it was obviously drug like riding a dirt bike and putting the left foot on the ground and dragging it along while coming to a stop. But the people denied the kids having or riding a dirt bike. The shoes just did not hold up, but surprisingly the right shoes sole looked almost like when it left the store. Just amazing that one shoe would wear out prematurely while the one looked almost like when it left the store.

Another time a lady came in and purchased a pair of shoes for her son, who mentioned he was going to be in a wedding. On Monday the lady returned the shoes for a refund. The shoes didn't fit the lady said, but the son was not along to exchange or to be fitted for replacements either. The wife said there was no doubt the shoes were purchased for the singular purpose of being worn to the wedding and once the wedding was past, they had served their purpose.

It takes all kinds.....
Old 03-24-2015, 01:20 AM

Some higher end stores will not allow returns during "prime time" - Xmas/New Year's/Prom unless the tags are still attached.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:30 AM

Jjr,

I'll take the shoes over someone eating through a bottle of vitamins and then asking for a refund.