BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Florida Bobcat/Panther ??

http://abcnews.go.com/US/bobcat-catc...ry?id=30148143
---
Since I have experience with all kinds of predators where I grew up and here on the rock pile..... I see this picture and short story...

Even being a wet cat, I can't help but think this is a puma as the mountain lion is called in FL... Just coincidentally this cat has an amputated tail.. To me the body, head, leg sizes don't fit that of a bobcat...

I have an e-mail question in to the FL natural resources... Will be interesting to see what they say...

Facts, details, thoughts ??
Old 04-09-2015, 03:08 AM
Master Pontificator

Most reporters today don't worry about little things like facts or details either one.

Back a few years ago, I had the misfortune of being selected for jury duty in an attempted murder trial. The District Attorney, of all people, kept referring to the weapon used as a : ".380 automatic revolver." Somebody finally caught on to this gross error in describing the weapon used, and the attorneys all recessed to the Judges Chambers. When they returned the Judge order the clerk transcribing the testimony presented in court to strike the words ".380 automatic revolver" from the record and insert the words ".380 semi-automatic pistol", and the jury was admonished to disregard the remarks where the weapon in question had been referred to in slight error.

Yeah, No big deal, Your Honor, but the DA needs to return to private practice for making these kind of mistakes. And the voters did do just that for the DA. Probably not for that reason, by any means, for there were so many other reasons for him to go, if would have been hard to name one why he should remain as the DA.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:19 PM

I would have to say that's a bobcat. By googling pictures it looks like the Florida species is a longer leaner critter than what I'm used to seeing out west. The picture does look closer to them than a Mountian lion.

By the article the shark is also under 3' long so that would make for a very small mountian lion in the image.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:50 PM

Part of the problem is that we have nothing in the picture for reference for sizing. For all we know, it's a kitten with a guppy in its mouth.

Are the ears laying back, or are they smaller compared to the head as in a puma, vs larger as in a bobcat?

The body proportions seem to suggest puma, but what does a wet bobcat look like? The hind foot seems shorter in proportion to the leg, as in a bobcat.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:55 PM

They say the shark was 3 ft long, so there's a size reference.
I think it's a Bobcat, and just looks different because it's wet