BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 04-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Sewing garden planters

I ordered a big roll of landscaping fabric - bigger than I really needed, so then I was trying to figure out how to use it up. I decided to make dirt bags! (Light weight planter cubes) The name "dirt bags" sounds icky, but I think they'll look nice & be easy to make! Easy to add strap handles, too.

http://tinypic.com/r/20f6rz6/8
2 five-foot strips, one foot wide, crossed at the middle. Fold each arm in half and serge the sides and around the bottom for a 1' cube, open at the top and doubled on all sides & the bottom. Should be plenty strong enough. I've got a bale of peat and a big bag of vermiculite to add to potting soil to make it lighter too.

Kind of wondering if a big one (reinforced with strapping) could be lined with a contractor-grade trash bag to make a water barrel.... Maybe if I make a wire support for the outside from a tomato cage?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Master Pontificator

If you have any manufacturers close by or large freight companies that you might be able to pick up some used FIBC's (more commonly called bulk bags or totes) that are being replaced or discarded, you could possibly save yourself the trouble of making your own containers. The FIBC's typically weight 2 - 4 kg (roughly 4.5 - 9 lbs) and will easily hold and transport 1,000 kg (slightly over 1 US ton) or more with a design strength of 6,000 kg capacity (a little over 6.5 US tons).

If the depth is to great the tops can always be turned down to reduce the depth in half, which will more or less double the sidewalls strength at the same time.

Just a thought.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I never heard of a FBIC - or bulk bag for freight. I'm close to a UPS terminal; would they have something like this? I'm trying to use up the fabric I've got on hand, but I'm also open to using something I can get FREE! Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:43 PM
Master Pontificator

UPS, being more package than freight, won't have any FIBC's I am sure. FIBC's = Flexible Intermediate Bulk Container. Many things (raw ingredients) used in manufacturing process are shipped in FIBC's, hence the reason I said manufacturers and large freight companies.

Possibly even some finished products are also shipped in FIBC's.