BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-02-2014, 04:51 PM

I have black walnut trees. I've tried a vice. I've read where you can run over them but haven't tried that.
I've also read where they can be tapped like a maple tree, but haven't tried that either.
I'm not very mechanical and so am having trouble visualizing the pully and hammer. I think I'll share it with my hubby and see if he can show me.
I did have my son take apart a vacuum cleaner. The motor still works. Could a pully or something be hooked to that somehow to crack them?
Or maybe to spin something to tumble the hulls off?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:23 PM

Default How Squirrels remove meat from Black Walnuts, (Jug

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LBIMJ 6 October 2014 How Squirrels remove meat from Black Walnuts, (Juglans nigra)
The Black Walnut,Juglans nigra, is a native to NA and is most difficult to crack the nut due to its strong internal structure. Even the squirrels have difficulty with this nut in removing the meat. Here are some pictures of the method used by the squirrels. This nut is not sold commercially and there are several other types called the black walnut, which are much easier to crack. If the nut is basically impossible to remove the meat it will be a Juglans nigra.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:24 PM
Master Pontificator

An old thread, but it interested me.

We have some black walnut trees on our property, but have never really picked the nuts. This past fall I picked up a couple of five gallon buckets, and cracked them on the receiver hitch on my truck. A two inch square of solid steel for the nut to rest on and used a 12 oz brass hammer. The nuts cracked very nicely, but out of the two buckets we only got enough good nut meats for two sets of brownies.

Black walnuts are stronger than English walnuts, but they are still a nice addition to some baked goods.

I do intend to fertilize the trees this spring and see how that affects the nut production and nut meats this fall. Hopefully fertilizing the trees will produce a marked improvement in both.