BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Master Pontificator

Not fortunate- one can live anywhere they choose. Just smart enough to identify regions that are good for self-reliance. Unlike other parts of the country, self-reliance has been a lifestyle for looooooooong time, not a fad like it is in other places.
Us Hillbillies raised and grew everything from the time the Scots and Germans settled the mountains pre Revolutionary war. It's in my blood.

Sorry to Hijack the thread!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:50 PM

Essayons 4791

Thanks much for the heads up on the Eotech AR-332. I figured sooner or later someone would be coming out with a scope for all you guys coming back stateside that was affordable and this appears to be it.

I have several BallisticPlex scopes and I like their design.

What kind of eye relief does the 332 need or can you put it more forward if so desired. (Just did some research and it has a 3" eye relief so it looks like this may be time to get a Ruger Scout rifle.)

Now I am torn between a 5.56 reticle and a 7.62 one. Hopefully it has a long eye relief as I would like to mount it forward of the receiver on a bolt rifle like a Ruger Scout rifle or a Pre War Mod 70 action with stripper clip slot in receiver.

Welcome home Sir, job well done ! ! ! ! ! !

Last edited by Hummer; 07-16-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Found answer to my question.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I've had good results using a standard 1x4 or 1x5 scope. Almost as fast as a red dot, and gathers light when visibility is starting to degrade. Hard to beat and affordable.

Jim
Old 04-20-2015, 12:33 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by essayons4791 View Post
First, the model number. I ended up buying a Burris AR-332 combat optic for 349 dollars, sold by Midway, Natchez, etc. It has an illuminated practical reticle, red or green. Most importantly, it works as a plain black reticle (with bullet drop compensator, like an ACOG) if you have no batteries. I like that.

It has good glass and good scanning capability, being a three power. The mounts are not cheesy. It is waterproof. The construction appears to be really heavy-duty, as to just appearing that way. The batteries are dead-common 2032s you can buy at Harbor Freight for 2 bucks per four pack- and most of the time you do not need to turn on the power, unlike most red-dots or my EOTECH.

The adjustments are 1/2 MOA, so you can tune it in well enough. It comes with flip-up covers (I like that, my ACOG had a stupid issue "bra") and rumor has it you can buy an anti-reflective cover for it.

The reticle works for snap shooting, close range work, and engaging targets at medium to long ranges. It's a good compromise, and will remind some of the old "donut of death" sights in the past.

My search was over. This is a sight with some compromises, but no serious ones. And the pluses are strong.

I have it mounted on a weapon I would have been fine with carrying in the Hindu Kush, given an M203 and PEQ-15. Give the Burris AR-332 a try, you may be pleasantly surprised. I know I'm happy with it, as opposed to having to settle for an "adequate" optic.
Burris makes good scopes. I have a couple and can attest to that fact for sure.

My most recent (scope) purchase was a Nikon scope and although pleased with the Nikon, it has not have been what I would consider the greatest and bestest (not proper English or a correct word either I know, but sometimes improper English gets the meaning across faster) scope ever. The Burris AR-332 is comparable in price to the Nikon M & P-223's, possibly a little less costly, so I sat up and took considerable interest in your report.

I have been considering one of the Nikon M-223 scopes, or possibly their P-223 scope, so my question is: Did you consider one of the Nikon's, or is there some reason, or reasons, one should chose the Burris over the Nikon? I certainly like an unsolicited first hand report and testimonial like your, where one finds an inexpensive, but yet solid and quality product. Thanks for your service and your review of the Burris AR-332 scope, I enjoyed the review myself.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Did you consider one of the Nikon's, or is there some reason, or reasons, one should chose the Burris over the Nikon?
You're talking to someone who hasn't posted in over a year
Old 04-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Dated posts & follow-up comments.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
You're talking to someone who hasn't posted in over a year
I had already posted my comments, when I realized the original post was dated.

I have read a lot of posts here, which were interesting and I considered commenting on, or adding to, but ultimately decided not to post on because of their age.

A few other I have posted to even though they were a bit dated, but I felt my comments were contributing something to the thread regardless of the time element involved.

I have also noted some people post, but never seem to stop back by to reply to questions raised or asked in the ensuing discussion.

I do realize everyone does not have the same amount of computer time available to them as others, which may account for some of those circumstances.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:13 PM

Smile

New people come on here all the time, sometimes just lurking. New info is always helpful to someone somewhere.
jim
Old 04-21-2015, 11:59 PM

All,

I'm still around. Just got busy in life.

I picked the Burris because it gives the most bang for the buck- sturdiness, scanning capability, and overall utility. If I could afford it I would own the best- an ACOG.

In other posts I've discussed my thoughts on combat rigs, weapons, etc. My watchword is first and foremost dependability. Bells and whistles come in a distant 16th.

Last edited by essayons4791; 04-22-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:45 AM
Master Pontificator

Thanks for your update, essayons4791.