BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:28 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Meaningless. Article. It is based on current law . do you really believe lawmakers will not do something in the next 20 years .
They didnt do anything the last 20 years----I doubt it'll be a priority except to scare folks to death by threatening us with CUTS.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:35 PM
Master Pontificator

The weather may also keep people inside. I notice that on what I consider a nice day, one of my elderly neighbors will comment that it's too hot, cold, breezy or humid. She goes outside to water her plants, but since her dog died, she doesn't go for walks like she used to.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
They didnt do anything the last 20 years----I doubt it'll be a priority except to scare folks to death by threatening us with CUTS.
Actuall there have been lots of changes . For example 20 years ago FICA was only withheld from the first $55,000 now that number is 115,000 or or. That changes the money collected enormously. That limit chages regularly .

Last edited by MissouriFree; 04-25-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Actuall there have been lots of changes . For example 20 years ago FICA was only withheld from the first $55,000 now that number is 115,000 or or. That changes the money collected enormously. That limit chages regularly .
Well I ere then--I should be getting more not less.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
Well I ere then--I should be getting more not less.
It may if the number of seniors that get it hadn't grown so much. i don't think the benifits have gone down any have they ? Some years it did not go up but it never went down. Many think the benifits went down but they didn't- the Medicare cost deducted from the benifits went up some. That is what most think of. Of course that is voluntary - One doesn't have to take part b or d if they don't want .

Last edited by MissouriFree; 04-25-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:58 PM

I would think most people here know enough to not rely on the government to provide them with anything.

Yes, we pay into the system for decades, but with the way things are...we all know there are no grantees.

We both work and both save and plan for our own retirement without the need for Soc Sec. It is not easy and we are not rich...so I know it can be done.

We get up at 0430 5 to 6 days a week, go to work and don't call in sick or go out on comp...we pay plenty of federal, state and local taxes...Hell, the government needs more people like us...the thing that get's me is that I can't pack my family in the car and go to a local state park without paying $10 to get in the gate...really?!?!

All I really get for my taxes are some roads with pot holes to go to work on.

Simple home, little mortgage left, old cars to drive and save like the dickens...no gold bars in the floor of my barn.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
It may if the number of seniors that get it . hadn't grown so much. i don't think the benifits has gone down any has they. Some years it did not go up but it never went down. Many think the benifits went down but it didn't- the Medicare cost deducted from the benifits went up some. That is what most think of. Of course that is voluntary - I've doesn't have to take part b or d if they don't want .
Technically you are correct they have not been reduced. But are the increases the same as true inflation? My MIL was getting $850 a month in 2005 today she is getting $940. Based on inflation it should be $1,028. Now you may think $88 is not much, try telling that to my MIL.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:09 AM
Master Pontificator

As MoFree wrote, "...the government will do SOMETHING...." What will that something be? Print more money? Raise the retirement age to 75? Take more out of our checks? I'm 61 and own my own business. I served for 23 years (1976-1999) in the USAF and retired as an 0-5 so I'm not too worried about my retirement, but I worry about my siblings (all younger) and whether they will have enough to retire on. I may actually have to support one of my brothers because he's been an "independent contractor" all of his life and I'd bet that he has only paid taxes for half of his working life. I fear that the fix, if there is one, will not be pleasant. I would suggest that we NOT give another penny to the deadbeats, welfare leaches and illegal invaders who are now sucking the life out of our system, but that's another subject altogether.