BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post
I need to point out to the many guests as well as members who may be reading this form here, that, no 'rednecks' dragged any 'boy' to his death behind a vehicle in Wyoming.
My bad, upon further investigation, the victim was pistol whipped, tortured, then tied to a barbed wire fence and left to die near Laramie, Wyoming in 1998. This murder was apparently motivated, at least in part, by illegal drug dealing. Neither party were saints. This incident was, however, fueled by media hype, and continues to be.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I believe that the lower the human population density is where one resides, the better the chance of surviving a SHTF scenario. Providing said person has the training, equipment and intestinal fortitude to do so.
I agree wholeheartedly, especially if you have more than yourself living with you.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

prepper Tess Pennington has some interesting thoughts on GOV ability to survive when TSHTF:

http://readynutrition.com/resources/...shtf_09042015/

JVC
Old 04-12-2015, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post
prepper Tess Pennington has some interesting thoughts on GOV ability to survive when TSHTF:

http://readynutrition.com/resources/...shtf_09042015/

JVC
Thanks for posting that article, was certainly interesting. Couple of links within the article was good reading as well.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
It seems to me most of us here are free-thinking, rugged individualist types. While we may keep our eyes & ears open for new ideas to digest, we're more likely to be out on our own than following anybody.
I have never been a follower of anything, I am an individual, I do my own thing and always have.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Master Pontificator

One of the reasons that we live in South Dakota is that we are in a state that is more remote and sparsely populated than many other states. (We actually lived up and down the East Coast for most of our lives) Not everyone wants to tolerate our winter weather or the fact that there are less than 900,000 people in the entire state. In a SHTF scenario, getting to my AO will be a long trip from ANY large city. We know our neighbors, even though the closest one is a quarter mile away. And we also have "an understanding" with several of our neighbors with regard to bad things happening.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobesane1 View Post
One of the reasons that we live in South Dakota is that we are in a state that is more remote and sparsely populated than many other states. (We actually lived up and down the East Coast for most of our lives) Not everyone wants to tolerate our winter weather or the fact that there are less than 900,000 people in the entire state. In a SHTF scenario, getting to my AO will be a long trip from ANY large city. We know our neighbors, even though the closest one is a quarter mile away. And we also have "an understanding" with several of our neighbors with regard to bad things happening.
I can't agree more with this. Low population density and be on good terms with neighbors. Both things take alot of work to accomplish, but it is possible. South Dakota is ranked 46th in the US for population density.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:44 AM

yes stay away from people. I think that every bad thing that happens is caused by people, people with their stupid ideas, their sick minds, & their insane habbit of believing any faults thing they hear from the TV.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Master Pontificator

I have no idea of when TEOTWAWKI will take place, nor of when THE SHTF will occur. What I believe is that a SHTF event need not be a widespread event, but could be as simple as what is happening in Baltimore right now. If your home or business in in the epicenter of the violence and destruction that is taking place, then you are definitely in a SHTF scenario. We had straight line winds come through central SD a couple of years ago and they leveled homes, grain storage bins and created plenty of havoc....but for only a few families No warning, just happened. Those people were in a SHTF situation while those of us just miles away were fine. SHTF scenarios can be anything from weather related to civil related to health related to financial related. And what you or I may consider to be just another obstacle to overcome, someone else would consider it to be a SHTF event.

My approach to life is to have insurance. Faith, auto, health, life, CCW & other firearms (yes, that's insurance), food & water preps, fuel, medicine, building supplies, a garden, continuing education, vigilance with regard to local, state and national current events, (global to a certain degree, too), and practicing with my family to ensure that when some unforeseen event presents itself, we have the ability to act quickly, calmly and efficiently. We live our lives in such a manner that we have fun and cherish family and friends. However, we also live our lives with the knowledge that bad things can happen and that we need to practice situational awareness and be prepared for the things we can handle.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:34 PM

One person's SHTF scenario is another person's windfall: Last year there was a big windstorm here that knocked down trees and the electricity went out for quite awhile. There was alot of moaning and gnashing of teeth about it. I ended up with beaucoup firewood, and made a ton of electricity with my windmill.