BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-06-2015, 01:26 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Anorak Coat, Arctic Boot Patterns..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOS9yvTfik
===
I recently quick read a book I found out about somewhere... If I remember the correct name is "The Snow Trekkers Guide" or close to that...

It is several years old, and there is some good basic info available there.. I'm sure some clothing products available today are better than products talked about that were available at the writing of that book....

What I did find was a kind of crude pattern for an anorak coat and boots that fit over several layers of foot coverings...

I went ahead and returned it to the library, as it was a special order... Thinking I could find better detailed patterns on the web... Haven't so far..

The anorak coat shown was more a wind, snow proof "raincoat" type of garment.. With a hood, mitten pocket, secured with an outside belt..

I wouldn't mind making a homemade one.. The ones in the book were very similar to the link, only a canvas material, not wool blanket as in the video.. I want to find/adapt a pattern to go over a 2X tall big guy parka... Also suggestions on what water proof/resistant canvas material I could find readily and work with my home sewing machine.... Not askin for much am I ??

The arctic native type boots were a multi part high top type moccasin that goes over several layers of foot covers..

Anyone know where/how to find/modify a pattern for this ???
===
I also have seen a you-tube on how to use/take a surplus army German snow camo poncho type cover and make it better fitting...

Ideas, suggestions, experience, useful info ??
Old 02-27-2015, 04:32 PM

Wyo -
If you're just going for waterproof, you might try nylon ripstop. JoAnne Fabric carries some and you can also find it on line. You can also get it bonded to neoprene for real water proofing (but that doesn't breathe at all and can make you very uncomfortable after wearing it a while.) Our engineers here where I work have rain suits that have a cape-like back - and under the cape is some mesh stuff that breathes so it both keeps them dry from the outside elements and lets the sweat escape.

Ripstop frays like crazy, so you'd want to use flat fell seams. (Sewn right-sides together, then the seam allowance is folded & tucked over & stitched down again on the top side.)

I have a large old piece of hunter's orange rip stop from Walmart for a buck a yard, but haven't had the will to cut into it so I don't have first-person advice (yet!)
Old 05-19-2015, 04:41 PM

Interesting youtube video. You might look for a Mountainman/Buckskinner Capote jacket pattern. Also there are patterns for Eastern Woodland hunting smocks from the Pre-Post Revolutionary War period that can be had that would require very little modification to give you what I think you're looking for.

I would strongly consider something along the "Gore-Tex" type of waterproof breathable cloth to build your Anorak coat with. Keeps you dry but also let's the sweat vapors escape. Nothing worse than being soggy on both sides of your clothing.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:40 PM

Wyo,
When we were into dog mushing, the daughters bought anoraks...I think from L.L. Bean...so they were a bit pricey, but they really filled the bill. They were large and roomy, so you could fit all kinds of layers underneath. I think they were Gore-Tex too, so they were nearly waterproof. The sons were way too tough on clothes to use L.L. Bean stuff--they would have destroyed the anoraks in a couple days...or sliced them with a knife....or set them on fire at a campfire, so we got them some East German military surplus outfits from Sportsmen's Guide in Minnesota. They were water repellant and virtually indestructible. Our very "vigorous" and active sons never did destroy them. I think they are still around here someplace for emergency use. The stuff we (the wife and daughters, actually) made for ourselves was made from waterproof Cordovan nylon fabric that was so tough that the dogs had trouble shredding it. It was purchased from a catalog somewhere--probably online now--but it was very expensive. The patterns were copied from stuff we had seen others use, or from Alaska Native clothing.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:42 PM

There are a fair amount of Anorak patterns out there if you use your Google Fu. Here's a couple that I ran across after a quick search:

Make Your Own Gear: patterns

Wool Blanket Anorak
With a pretty good goby.

Constructing a cotton Anorak interesting PDF

Hope this helps

Last edited by Ironbeard; 05-19-2015 at 10:48 PM.