BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:48 PM

I thank everyone who shares their knowledge and experience with the masses. It doesn't matter how trivial one may think their input or thoughts might be. There's always someone out there in the world wanting to know about the same things themselves. Nothing ventured, Nothing gained, as I see it...

~Don[/QUOTE]

Well stated Don.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
As I was reading the newspaper this morning, I came across an article about folks who post in Forums and comment in blogs. It contained an interesting statistic, one that, it said, has been verified multiple times. It's called the 90-9-1 rule.

Evidently, for any active Forum or blog or other place where posting messages or comments is permitted, about 90% of the visitors are lurkers, 9% post or comment occasionally, and just 1% post actively or regularly.

I've always suspected as much, since the Forum generates far more "page views" each month than would be expected based only on the number of posts.

So...if you are one of the 9%, how about posting more often. Far too many folks think they have nothing to contribute, or are afraid to ask a question, or think they'll look foolish.

In my experience, EVERYONE has knowledge or outlooks that others want to hear. That little trick you have for doing something may seem insignificant to you, but might well be a major time-saver for others.

And if you are one of the 90%, isn't it time you registered so you, too, can start sharing what you know, or think about a subject? Just...please be sure to read the red text on the registration page so there will not be any problem with yours.

And to the 1% -- THANK YOU!!

Oliver
Well, I'm not very computer savy and I have to be doing something (not sitting down)all the time so my posts will be somewhat scattered. I have been a lurker at other forums only joining 2 or 3 and rarely posting. On other forums there is a constant barage of posters who are so "lets all jump on and beat the pudding out of anyone not in our little group or who does not think exactly like we do" that I just don't even bother going to anymore. This forum seems to be different and properly managed and truly a source for folks to learn and share. I'll attempt to be in the 1%, even if I feel I have nothing to contribute, which I often do feel that way. As a new subscriber to the BHM I have learned so much from the past 3 issues I have recieved and it has already paid for itself several times over in my book. I'm looking forward to jumping right in.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Default TJ

First reply here, First reason I dont reply is my spelling is not so good and I also, I learn best with my mouth shut Love reading though. If I have anything inportant to say I will give it a try.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 PM

Heck, I get in this forum and can't get out, I'm such a gas bag!

But this forum is like finding gold, suddenly and unexpectedly.

All this time I was so concerned that nobody was helping pass down valuable information, and all this time here you were!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 AM

I was a lurker last time I belonged to the forum. Let the forum drop because other things got in the way. I will try to be a 1% but more likely a 9%.

I'm old enough to have a little knowledge about a lot of things, and I will try to share what skills I have. Beware-I tend to sound like a mom.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I post when I have a question that I can't find the answer to by searching old posts (or searching the web).

I try to post if I know the answer to question someone else has, or if the topic interests me.

But, the reality is, a forum isn't real life, and real life takes up most of my time.

I guess I come here to get information and try to give it out when I have it. So I probably miss a lot of threads, but when I have the need, I'll find them searching the archives later.

I find the "New Homesteading/Self-reliance Posts" link at the top to be a nice feature. I usually click it in the morning while I'm checking various sites, and do a quick scan of the new topics. Way faster than searching through every forum looking for new posts.

I have to say that this is one of the few places on the web were you can find straight answers from practical, no-nonsense people with very little drama and often a little humor. So many forums degenerate into uselessness. It's to Oliver's credit that he's been able to heard all of us cats over the years to create something truly valuable.

I hope this doesn't come across as political, but this is also one of the few places I've found where you can get advice about homesteading and the many issues around it without having to get a lecture about gaia, sustainability, eco-whatever, or the latest shade of green. IMHO, if you want an answer about solar energy, for example, it shouldn't matter if you want it because of your politics, or because you live far away from electrical service, but on a lot of forums, it matters a lot. Here, it might be discussed, but the reason doesn't seem to be used as a gateway to getting that information.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Having run a couple of forums myself, I think these statistics are pretty accurate. I don't know that I have time to be in the one percent right now, since I'm maintaining a house in one town while trying to establish a home four hours away, plus earning a living behind my computer, so that any time that I spend on a forum is time that I could use earning money.

Of course, I need a break from work once in awhile and this forum, in particular, I find to be valuable. So I answer questions when I have answers, ask them when I have questions that might be answered here, and throw in a little small talk from time to time.

When someone comes into a forum new, and makes a few posts, it's important that someone reply, because more often than not, if someone's first posts go unacknowledged, they will quit posting. In forums, as in real life, it's easy for cliques to develop, and it's sometimes uncomfortable to break into that.

Last edited by kfander; 07-01-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
This matches my observation all the back to the days of my dial in BBS. ;o)
I was a Sysop for about a dozen years, starting with a WWIV board, then VBBS, and finally, PCBoard.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Smile Over-whelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud_Poppa View Post
Buck was a cantankerous old fart who posted a LOT here some time back. Some of his opinions I agreed with.....most I didn't. He developed a cadre of Buck haters who followed him around complaining about darned near everything until he finally quit. They won....he lost....sort of. If he's now happier than he was....then he won. Many of the same folks who followed him around are still here spewing their "I'm better than you" BS. I know this because I was once here under a different login......and before anyone asks...no it wasn't "Buck".

I think alot of posters that are new to sites/forums are a bit over-whelmed by the shear (largeness) of sites ---for example this one.

Ohhhhhhhhh Lord do I remember the buck days.

A fine man took me under his wing when I first came on this forum a number yrs. back--His name was Melonghunter--now gone on to the great hunt---I had posted something on of course in the wrong thread--and was slammed like a bad girl caught in the cookie jar.

It was about swing my axe--splitting my own wood--I had lived off grid for 10 yrs.
I had never even owned a computer--was learning to operated the old one I had bought.

I was taken aback--I was new--didnt know how to use the forum--If it hadnt been for MLH's kindness and telling me how to post--get around the different threads--I would never have come back.

No--I am not thinned skinned--nor afraid---

I had been buying the magazine since 1993 and loved it--

Having stayed---I made sooooooooo many friends--I am now visiting in WA St. with 2 of them --LobaAzul and Metalman.

So I encourage non-posters--whatever % you are--jump in--if you need help--please Pm one of the posters whom you can idenify with.

OR Admin.

Sincerely txanne former puter dummy
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM

Talking

Nice to see you again Annie, and tell Loba a neighbors hello too! Jeff
Old 07-12-2011, 06:32 PM

Talking TKS

JeffColorado,

Glory be---from the old days--so very good to see you.

I will tell them HI--but they are back on also--see what a bad influence I am??

Post up to intros and say hi--they'd love it.

Again my friend nice to see you.

txanne aka annie
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 PM

Wink The 90-9-1 rule

I agree I have been the lurker basiclaly because I just started to prep. I really havent felt like I had any thing to add that hasn't already been said.
I really do love reading all the different post. I mostly started for food storage and security but have add the political to my reading. thanks to the 1% red girl
Old 07-13-2013, 02:53 AM

Cool perhaps i came to the wrong place

I recently had back surgery. thought a backwoods home site would be a nice site to chat; you know, dave duffy, john silveira, and such. what do I find? no politics? people thrown off the site for what they say? I guess I have come to the wrong place. by the way, I am a libertarian so I guess that's it for me.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:53 AM

No politics?

There is a forum for politics. Maybe new members don't have access? Might be a question for admin.

I've been a member here under a couple different names since 2000 and as far as I can recall Mr. Duffy, Mr. Silviera, & etc. have never posted on the boards as regular members do. Occasionally Mr. Del Signore, the admin, posts something pertinent to admin.

And people are only 'thrown off the site' when they indulge in personal insults, harassing behavior, threats, and being generally just nasty. There is plenty of 'stimulating' conversation in the politics and rights/freedoms and conspiracy boards. The line is generally drawn by admin, and as this is a privately owned site they can have it the way they want it. We're just guests here, at their good graces.

Maybe you should hang around for a while. There are a lot of really nice people here.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndweller View Post
I recently had back surgery. thought a backwoods home site would be a nice site to chat; you know, dave duffy, john silveira, and such. what do I find? no politics? people thrown off the site for what they say? I guess I have come to the wrong place. by the way, I am a libertarian so I guess that's it for me.
There is a minimum post count before your eligible for the Politics boards. It discourages people who only came here for Political discussion. Politics are not what this forum are really about. There is some political discussion that is relevant such as the FDA, Dept. of Agriculture, and such.

If it becomes a pissing match between the Red team and the Blue team, Elephants vs Donkeys vs Porcupines vs Evergreens vs Liberty Bell then that is when a post is locked and sometimes deleted.

A few years ago there was some pretty heated and vile back and forths between Red team and Blue in the campaign months before G. W. Bush was re-elected.

Those Red Team and Blue Team adversaries couldn't keep their disagreements to the subject and descended into nothing but insults. Not even contained to just the Political board. The adversaries would use the "New Posts" feature and the "All Posts By" feature to follow one another from Politics, to any of the Boards which this site is actually about. Every thread in every post was infected with "F*** You's" and *your mothers a dirty c***" and it only went down from there.

So it went. People messaged the Admin as this was a self moderated board. There were no Moderators. Everyone kept their own peace, and Trolls or uncivil jackasses were ignored or in rare cases banned temporarily, seldom permanently. This wasn't working.

There was a mass exodus. Since no one could have a thread about anything without the political junkies coming in to cuss each other out, not many stayed.

Notice was taken when page views, posts per day, and active members dropped precipitously. Lead weights dropped from orbit couldn't have fallen faster.

People who came here about gardens, canning, livestock, etc; left and great percentage of those that were doing and not just discussing have found a new home on another site.

So, if you want to talk Politics your going to have to start with homesteading and self reliance topics unrelated to politics first.

Give it a whirl. I have been here since 1998 when I was a fresh three striper at Ft. Campbell. There are some who have been here 10 more years than that.

If all you came for is Politics though, I think you will be pretty disappointed since its mostly about vaccinations, GMO foods, Livestock regulations, and farm subsidies around here.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Well, that said, we DO have a fairly lively politics section that - while it gets a little heated from time to time - doesn't go quite that far. Really, life's too short to waste it on nothing but politics all the time!! But, every so often, we have to get something off our chests... it's relatively safe to do so, there; but you will get "feedback" - LOL.

The deal is, you have to have to have X many posts, then ask permission of admin for entrance to the "below the fold" forums. IIRC, that's on your profile page...
Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 PM

I didnt expect john and dave to be posting personally, but thought the site might possess their spirit of free speech. I am not overly vocal about politics, it does no good, but when I come home from a frustrating day of searching, fruitlessly, for ammo, I do often want to scream "WHY?".

Just a thought, with silver prices low right now, it might be a good time to buy. no I am not a seller, I am buying.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 PM

Cool good bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndweller View Post
I didnt expect john and dave to be posting personally, but thought the site might possess their spirit of free speech. good bye.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:05 PM

I am new to this site, but can say in other sites that I post on, I post regularly. If I am logged on, and have something to contribute, I will. I may go months without even logging on somewhere, until I have a question, but when I log on, I will post.

What I don't do is post where I disagree with someone. I am not here to debate. If I agree with something, I like to acknowledge that person, statement, or whatever it may be, if I don't, I scroll past.