BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Evening turkey hunt

Thought I'd go down for a bit this evening to see if any turkeys might come around. Blind was already set up so it was just drive down and set out the decoys.

Made myself a sandwich and some pretzel sticks for supper to eat in the blind.

Didn't see any turkeys, but a deer did cooperate.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:53 PM

Nice pictures...
Yes.. A good strategy in intercepting them on there way to where they roost.. Then you know where to be before day break...

Good luck..
Old 05-16-2015, 08:43 PM

Nice healthy looking deer.

Reminds me that I need to bring plenty of venison to grill this weekend Up Nord.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:34 AM
Master Pontificator

Being a "Spring Season" for Turkeys, I most often forget their season. I see Turkeys quite regularly, but usually when not hunting or within their season.

The owner of the local Sears catalog outlet/retail store where we lived in the distant past was the most dedicated and passionate Turkey hunter, I have ever met! He purchased a Richland double barrel 10 Gauge Magnum with 32 inch barrels choked Full & Full strictly for Turkey hunting about '73 or possibly '74. By about 10:00 a.m. on opening morning of Turkey Season, the year he purchased the Richland double, he was back home with his Season's limit.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 AM

Yeah turkeys with a shotgun is pretty easy. After I got a couple that way I switched to archery to make it more of a challenge.

I think the thing I like about spring turkey hunting is calling them in. I can still remember the first turkey I ever shot because of the time it took him to get to me.

It was in the evening before sundown and I heard him gobble in the woods across a soybean field. I slid up on the other side of the field and laid in the grass. I called and he came out of the woods. I'd call and he'd gobble. It probably took him 30 minutes to work his way across the stubble in the soybean field to get to me. Me calling and him fanned out and gobbling all the way. At the end he was in front of me drumming his wings, and at 10 yards he was do close I could hear his wings brushing the ground as he drummed.

The second turkey I shot was about a 5 minute hunt he came in so fast. Not nearly as memorable of a hunt.

Actually a hunt from a week or so ago would be more memorable and I didn't get off a shot. I called and a tom answered way back off in the woods. For the next 45 minutes I'd call and he'd answer. Eventually he popped out about 40 yards from me, and 20 yards from my decoys. He never would get any closer, but just stayed back a ways gobbling to my calls. I did get some good video of him, and for me this time around that was enough.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:58 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
It was in the evening before sundown and I heard him gobble in the woods across a soybean field. I slid up on the other side of the field and laid in the grass. I called and he came out of the woods. I'd call and he'd gobble. It probably took him 30 minutes to work his way across the stubble in the soybean field to get to me. Me calling and him fanned out and gobbling all the way. At the end he was in front of me drumming his wings, and at 10 yards he was do close I could hear his wings brushing the ground as he drummed.

The second turkey I shot was about a 5 minute hunt he came in so fast. Not nearly as memorable of a hunt.

Actually a hunt from a week or so ago would be more memorable and I didn't get off a shot. I called and a tom answered way back off in the woods. For the next 45 minutes I'd call and he'd answer. Eventually he popped out about 40 yards from me, and 20 yards from my decoys. He never would get any closer, but just stayed back a ways gobbling to my calls. I did get some good video of him, and for me this time around that was enough.
Hunting is much, much more than just about the kill.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
Hunting is much, much more than just about the kill.
Yeah, that's for sure. For me, scouting is one hell of an excuse to get out and enjoy the woods.

Hey Hunter - Is spring hunting turkey easier than fall? I read about calling them in, heard it's harder to call them in fall - is that correct?

Never seriously hunted turkey here.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the pics - especially liked your Tom story calling him in.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 PM

You can't really call in the fall. I hear if you bust up a group of hens, you can call a little to help them regroup, but that's about it. So basically fall hunting is being at the right place at the right time while hunting something else.

The spring is the calling time. Try to convince some tom you are a very desirable hen. He who yelps or purrs the sexiest gets the tom. The problem is many times a tom is already with a hen. That's when the old saying, " a bird in the hand is better then that sexy sounding thing behind that bush" comes into play. Sometimes a hen will even lead a tom away, not wanting to share the big boy she's got.

Today was my buddy's last day of work, he retired. So tomorrow morning we're going to give it another shot and see if we can get one close. I'll post some pictures of our hunt after we get back.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:45 PM

Well the turkey didn't cooperate this morning. It seems evenings are starting to be better, so we're going to give it a shot one evening this week.

Here is a picture of our setup.

Here's one from the back as we're packing up with my buddy getting his bow put away.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:14 AM

That looks like a comfortable blind. I like the way it opens up for easy access.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:06 AM

I didn't know it opened that way when I bought it. I assume that is for handicap access, but it also works fine for two old men that are stiff after sitting in a couple small chairs for a while.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
I didn't know it opened that way when I bought it. I assume that is for handicap access, but it also works fine for two old men that are stiff after sitting in a couple small chairs for a while.
That is why it caught my eye - even I would be able to get in and out of that one.

I was looking at blinds a couple years ago for shooting wildlife down by the creek (with camera - not gun) and quickly tossed the idea since I would never have been able to crawl into them.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:51 PM
Master Pontificator

That is a nifty blind! I have never seen one like it. Can you give us the brand, model, name, etc?
Old 05-24-2015, 10:04 PM

It is a Guidesman, I purchased it from Menards, which is like Lowes. They carried a 60" by 60", and a 72" by 72". Mine is the 72 x 72.

In the picture the screens are off the front windows. We usually leave the screens in place during deer season and remove them for turkey. Turkeys don't seem to be a problem unless they see you move, so we keep the screens off. Though I have to admit as it's getting warmer, the screens might have kept down the mosquitoes. Need to bring my Thermo cell the next time. That really keeps the mosquitoes away.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:35 AM

I did a search at Menards plus a Google search with some different terms and couldn't find anything like your blind.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:53 AM

Menards only carries that type of stuff in the fall for hunting season so they may not show it this time of year. They've had the same style blind for at least the last two years because I thought about it a couple years ago but I already had a popup blind. Then last fall I decided to try this one because my old one had seen better days, plus I wanted something bigger. It was too hard to shoot with my bow in my old one, so I thought the 72x72 blind would make it easier for bow hunting.

Found the manufacturer today. Not sure if they sell them or just make them. By clicking on them I could get a price for replacement parts, but I couldn't get a price for the whole blind. So maybe they just make them but don't sell them.

http://www.nelanwongllc.com/#!nw272-/c1o3y
Old 05-25-2015, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the link. Looks like it may be exclusive to Menard's or something since I don't see anything like that available anywhere else.

I thought that would make a nice blind for me to setup down by the creek for shooting (camera) the wildlife on the creek like the Great Blue Heron and Wood Ducks who are so skittish they take off even when I just start down my deck steps.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:16 PM

Would make a great blind for photography work.

Speaking of photography work, check the photo announcement section. Thought I'd start a thread on backyard photography, where everyone can contribute. I like to photograph as well as feed the birds. Plus I usually try to get some pictures of non hunting things while out hunting.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks for the information on the blind, hunter88. We have a Menards locally, so I will go by and see what they have come fall.