BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:44 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Walleye Opener 2015

Opened this Saturday here in MN. Heading Up Nord to work and do some fishing this week.

Water levels on the river are very low this year. Can't really take the flat boat out on the river like we usually do. However, there are some potential good areas to fish using waders. Rocky areas that are usually underwater are above water, plan on walking out on a few with waders and fishing some eddies-pools.

Wish me luck, hope to hear from others how fishing is going.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Here on the WI side of the river.... Season opened last weekend... People I talked to last night saying the average seems about 9 - 10" fish at best, and not that many total...

Like said, water levels down.. But the boat landings near me were packed both last and this weekends.... Will have to see it plays out for the rest of the summer..

The "Walleyes Forever" trailer was at the landing this year.. Kind of a bad sign in that they don't have there fingerling growing box in the lake yet.. They didn't use it last year... Not good if they can't net enough fish to produce a batch of fingerlings to release again...

Good luck..
Old 05-15-2015, 02:59 AM

Grrrr ... spent 2 days Up Nord, was 41F and raining both days. Left the second day (today) because I landed a project to work on next week and have to leave Sunday and needed some time to prepare.

I don't think the fishing would have been that good anyways with the temps, but sure would have loved to whet a line.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:16 AM

River is relatively high, but still lower than most springs. A couple weeks into walleye opener, but popped a trolling motor on the canoe and went fishing.

Caught 3 walleyes, two were in the perfect eating slot. Fishing was OK, but I really like the trolling motor on the canoe. Quiet. Had two otters chasing me on the bank, they were pretty funny.

Also saw our owl that I've been hearing for a few years now, but saw it flying across the river on the way home. Was beautiful.

Best thing about the trolling motor on the canoe - I could set it straight, and just lean left or right to steer it.

Good times.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:46 PM

You lucky dog... Sounds like a good time...

Weekends here before school is out have been busier than usual... Otherwise rain... After school is out, it will be the "second season" here... Them being winter and tourist season...

Later today or tomorrow I will make a point to check the boat landing and see if the walleye trailer is there....

Enjoy....