BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading > Your Homestead

Your Homestead Tell and show others with words and pictures how you built or are building your homestead and how you keep things going day-to-day. One thread per member, please.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:36 AM

Smile skeeter flats

we found the right land for us after alot of buying other lands.
we were in the 60's hippy era then the 70's back to the land movement.
we had land that u had to dig down to china to get a well in.sold that one.
then we had land on a narrow cliff side.hauling plywood sheets up some stairs hubby etched into the moubtain side and hauling that lumber up was too much for us but we did it.we did get a little cabin built up there.too many HOA"s there believe it or not.
then we searched and searched and found land.100$ down and 100$ a month.no snakes,high water table and out of portland,oregon rains.
we have had our land since 1999.we paid it of and paid off 40,000$ worth of debt so we could be set up for retirement.we did not want to take that horrid credit card bill out to the woods with us in retirement.we still owe a tiny bit on that one but its almost done.
we are finally here.all thru the years we were paying off our land and the credit card bill and grown kids and grandkids coming to live with us.
we helped them too and scrimpd so much we saved for lumber to build us a cabin.craigslist is major in helping us find free insulation,cheap huge beautiful windows,cheap lumber too.
finally we are here.we have been here at skeeter flats now for almost 20 days.we are loving life.
we are clearing the woods.we are chopping and stacking wood.i got a pick ax and made the start of a garden in virgin soil.we hauled our rhubarb and plum tree twigs and strawberries from our house in town we sold.the rhubarb was in shock for a while but i see its perking up.the strawberries are ok and the plum trees have little roots on them.
hubby,when working weighed in at 260 ish.now he has lost 20 pounds.we feel so alive and so better.everyday we are excited to wake up.we are so glad to be away from where we came from.we were so sick of the same old problems.
now we are off grid.hard to get a physical address and we need one. i am hand washing clothes for right now.we are praying our social security comes to us. we are waiting n hoping there is no hick ups in that.
so i hand wash our clothes.i made me a clothes line.
hubby made hime a tool crib so we dont have to haul all his tools in and out of the cabin all the time.
we have red currant plants everywhere growing.they are filled with flowers.we have wild strawberries growning.well i know they are tiny.
we have wifi hooked up.next is the tv of which i guess there is antenna tv...we are checking into this.u can get free hd tv and nbc and fox and lots of channels for free with no cable bill.so we are trying to gt all the comforts of home but off the grid.
we dont have any animals.i am trying to start a seaberry orchard.the miracle berry.
we are excited to wake up each day.we bought the connecting land to us.a well was on there.we still need to get a jet pump.all wells here are bout 25 to 50 ft.
we want to buy the land on the other side of us too.to guard against hoolighans living near us.
we built this cabin and another.we are gonna build a house one day and hubby needs a shop.
the deer have been nibbling my seaberry trees.we had to build wire cages over them.
we will prevail.hee hee.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Good for you, Rae. It sounds as though you are well on your way to a good retirement. We had everything planned out, too...then I fell off the roof and the medical bills even with two insurances and Medicare are burdensome. We'll get through it and get on with life. Good luck building your dreams.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:58 PM

Default skeeter flats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Good for you, Rae. It sounds as though you are well on your way to a good retirement. We had everything planned out, too...then I fell off the roof and the medical bills even with two insurances and Medicare are burdensome. We'll get through it and get on with life. Good luck building your dreams.
dearest Doninalaska;413185! i am so sorry to hear this.how horrible.are u ok??
well i am only 63.when my hubby quit his job to retire.he is older so he is on medicare.not me.i have to take the obama hit of i hear a 1000$ fine.
there is the local medical clinic 20 miles away.maybe they can help me if i get sick or hurt.we are signing up for life flight for 60$ a year.
yes.the best laid plans and life gets in the way.
today we are cutting a road into the back meadow so we can have a place to haul all the scrap wood we dont need and need to burn.u can only burn here in the second snow and on.now snow now for a couple of years.
so its suppose to be snowy this next winter according to the locals.
we can only pray.we have lots of stuff to burn.
hugs rae
Old 05-21-2015, 12:05 PM

Smile skeeter flats

Well we have an update-been clearing off lots of land!
Hubby has a chainsaw and me clippers!
I cut off akk the branches and he cuts up the logs into stumps.
I haul them out of the way to a spot where he can chop them with his chopping mall-then I stack our winter wood.
Garden is doing good - wish I could plant more but I have to dig a new bed
And its just been raining for weeks!
Soon hope to get a lot more planted...we have a pair of deer who live next to us and come out when we leave or go to sleep to party in our garden!
Keeping an eye out on them always!
Old 05-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Good for you Rae.. Sounds like you have a nice place to to the things you like...

Before the last couple winters did so much damage to the deer population, I had some trouble with them "tasting" some of my meager attempts to grow stuff... I planted some things specifically to be sacrificial, used fence around other things, and used old aftershave or white vinegar around other things to persuade them to not taste... The best thing is to have cement bricks/edgers of one kind or another as that holds the liquid repellants the best...

Good luck...
Old 05-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Master Pontificator

Your story was interesting. It sound like you are making progress, but still have some work ahead of you.

Around here we just plant extra for the deer. A few years back I tilled the patch on the east side of the house. Monday, Mother told me there were five deer walking over the patch looking to see what I had planted for them.

A couple of years back we never got but one pick from the fall greens planted, because the deer kept them grazed so close, there was nothing ever large enough to pick after that first time.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:11 AM

Default skeeter flats

someone led me to the idea of planting deer resistant plants.
so now mixed with fences and covering everything at nite...we had three of them here that think the garden is for them.lol.
i talk to them but i really think they are pretty.pretty yummy!
we have alot to do before winter.
fix the well pump.get a pump house built.get the addition onto the cabin.
get the burn piles all made into the meadow.hubby and i blazed a trail out to the meadow.
got to get the wood stove in.
lots to do.still digging up new ground for the garden...
Old 05-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Master Pontificator

You haven't said where or how you came up with the name for your homestead, so I am going to ask. Is it because of mosquitoes, or just though it was a catchy name. The name is intriguing & fascinating at the same time.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:50 AM

Default skeeter flats

Dear Jjr-
When we first started camping out on this land-the Skeeter's about carried us off!
Then they voted to. Spray-so now there is some-not many!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 PM
Master Pontificator

The pesky little insects can be most annoying in addition to carrying/transmitting disease. Some things just do not deserve to live. Mosquitoes & fire ants are two at or near the top of my most unworthy to live list.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:15 AM

Default skeeter flats

Right now we have been hauling lots of brush from cutting tree limbs off! Our woods are in wildfire country!
I have got the garden in! Its been hard but interesting! There is some kind of scruge plant with an under ground rooting system that is far spread all thru out the property!so I digvwith the pick ax into the virgin soil and try to cut and pull these roots out!once that is done the soil is not too bad.
Hubby has been cutting up fallen trees and he chops and I stack!
A friend from Alaska told us to stack our firewood close to our cabin!
Its a lot of hard work! We have been here a month and a few days and both have lost weight! Like 20 pounds!
Its a good thing!
We dont have cable so we aren't getting the every 5 minute Carl's Jr. Food advertisement s!
So far its been exciting and fun to be out,retired and living our dream.