BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Master Pontificator

Miss Jean, relax and breathe. Can you ask these grandkids what types of books they've been using? Maybe talk to a teacher who does this? Talk to your local librarian. Most of all, relax and enjoy.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Master Pontificator

After many months of debating and second guessing myself if I would be doing the right thing in homeschooling my daughter and listening to all the negative rants and raves from friends and relatives, I can now say without a doubt or second guess that I am making the right decision to keep her out of public school. If my two grandchildren are with me at the starting of the fall school term, they also will be homeschooled.

I have decided to go with a structured curriculum based on tests results that states my daughter's school work is at the level of a beginning third grader and would benefit from a one on one structured learning environment which public school cannot give her, so another positive to homeschooling.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2013, 04:39 AM
Master Pontificator

And you can go at your own rate. DD doesn't have to feel pressured to "keep up" if she's not getting something like in math.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
After many months of debating and second guessing myself if I would be doing the right thing in homeschooling my daughter and listening to all the negative rants and raves from friends and relatives, I can now say without a doubt or second guess that I am making the right decision to keep her out of public school. If my two grandchildren are with me at the starting of the fall school term, they also will be homeschooled.
You will never regret this decision.
My advice on the 'negative rants and raves'.......draw a FIRM line in the sand with the ranter, letting them know this is YOUR decision, and you would appreciate it if they would RESPECT that decision, and keep their negativity to themselves.
If they can't 'help themselves' from being negative OR they try to inject that negativity to the children.......eliminate the threat.
Just stay away from them.
And if they ask "hey where you been" let them know that THEY crossed a boundary line with you.

Quote:
I have decided to go with a structured curriculum based on tests results that states my daughter's school work is at the level of a beginning third grader and would benefit from a one on one structured learning environment which public school cannot give her, so another positive to homeschooling.
Thanks
We started off with Christian Liberty Press.
After 2 years, we were off on our own!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Wishing you Godspeed. We used Christian Light and Alpha Omega for over twenty years.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:15 PM

You won't regret your choice to homeschool. My wife and I started homeschooling our kids three years ago and haven't looked back. There has been a lot of good advice given here. The only thing I would say is that this first year may be a little tough as you get your feet wet, but don't give up. The second year and beyond gets so much better. And also, it took me a little while to learn, every moment is a teaching opportunity. I know one response mentioned the grocery store. We go shopping and make sure the kids know why we buy the things we do, what foods are healthier and what to look for. Also helps them to learn some real practical math when it comes to paying for items and paying attention to the change. And be sure to check out your homeschool groups in the area. Ours get together and go to museums and festivals and such. Gives the kids a great opportunity to interact. For me that it the one danger with homeschool, if the parent does not encourage interaction with other kids whether through homeschool groups, church, 4-H, or other outside activities.
Hope it all goes well for you this year.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:16 PM

Default Keep on!

My wife and I (mostly her, since I work full time outside the home) homeschooled our sons from Kindergarten through High School. It was difficult sometimes, a great deal of work, and a not insignificant expense. Every year my wife would say 'I just don't know how much longer I can do this', and I would try to encourage her. When we got to the High School years, I handled math and science, which eased the load on her a bit, but it was still a LOT of work.

One of my sons seems to have some dyslexia. Teaching him to read was a long and arduous struggle for my wife, but she did it, and he has now graduated from college. It took YEARS of one-on-one working with him, but in the end, she did it. (I really don't believe that he would have made it even in a private school. I hope someday he comes to understand what his mother did for him.)

Somehow, in the mercy of the Lord we did it. We finished. And you know what else? Even knowing how much work it was, if we had it do do over again, we would do it all again! It was worth it. There is no question in my mind.

Yes! There will be times when homeschooling seems overwhelming. Yes, there will be times when all kinds of people will question your motives and your competency. Keep on! Homeschooling them is one of the greatest gifts that you can give your children. You can do this!!!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:19 PM
Master Pontificator

Smile

Hi JeanB! How about an update. How is everything going?
Old 04-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Master Pontificator

Cil
It's going, don't know if I can say it's going well at this time because of some things I have learned. I had some testing done on my daughter because I felt she was not progressing in the way she should and not understanding the work we were doing.

The test stated she was that of an early fourth grade student, how can that be I ask, because if she were in school she would be in sixth grade, that was what her report card stated, passed to grade 6.

I am disappointed in myself, I feel I let my daughter down by trusting public school to educate her. How hard this must have been for my daughter to see other kids doing school work that she couldn't do.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Master Pontificator

Wink

Jean,

Al least you now know. You did NOT fail your daughter, the publisher c school system did. So you go back to 4th grade work. Big woo. (Sarcasm off) At least now you can correct the probl m and go as slow or fast problem

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2015, 04:33 PM
Master Pontificator

Wink

Al least you now you know. You did NOT fail your daughter, the public School system did. So you go back to 4th grade work. Big woo. (Sarcasm off) At least now you can correct the problem and go as slow or fast as need be.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:28 PM

jeanb,

Look at everything you do with your daughter as education.

For example cooking requires
1. Reading directions
2. Following directions
3. Math {1/4 cup} = fractions
4. Writing = creating her own cookbook

For example sewing requires
1. Reading directions
2. Following directions
3. Math = seam allowances
4. Math = how much fabric to purchase to make 3

Oh and do not get me started on the Money Management and Business Education you could provide you child.

Your daughter may like baking and sewing and could sell at a local farmers market. Think a $20.00 loan from you for ingredients and supplies.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:43 PM

jeanb,

I want to add that my grandsons are homeschooled. My grandson at 14 was working 15 hours a week at a computer company building websites and managing the servers.

He is intent on receiving a degree in computer engineering and working for google.