BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Livestock/Horses

Livestock/Horses Cows, sheep, pigs, goats, llamas, and other four-legged friends.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

If you only need one cow, you could also raise a few goats or sheep on the same pastures, and they will eat things cows won't.

They can also help control parasites

Like Doc said, section off the pastures and rotate them around, giving each section at least 4 weeks to regrow

It's easily done with electric fencing
Old 06-03-2015, 07:05 PM

I have a small herd of Dexter's and have kept them for several years. They seem to be hardy, and are good grazers. This winter the majority of their feed was from grazing stockpiled forage. I have not wormed them or given any medication to the Dexters for the last two years and have not had a sick Dexter yet. I Raise them on grass and hay with the only other thing they get is mineral and an occasional treat every month or so to keep them tame.

All my Dexters are pretty tame, but not all Dexters are tame. Several I purchased were pretty wild when I first got them. Some will come up to get pet when I am in the field and follow me anywhere, others will only come when called and will not let me touch them but will allow me within close proximity.

They are about half the size of a Angus and eat appropriatelly less. Because of their size they are easier on the land and can be worked easier. This week we just ran everybody through the corral to get ear tags and surgically castrate the bull calves. My head gate isn't set up yet so I just used a gate as a makeshift squeze chute, try that with Angus! I plan on building my herd to 50 cow calf pairs from my current 20 head. I plan on keeping Dexter's for the rest of my life, they are good little cattle perfect for the homestead or small farm.